Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu May 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Nope but from the two minute highlights you can see him wearing 10: https://twitter.com/WelshRugbyUnion/sta ... 2241754112 - abysmal defending for their tries from him, he needs to improve that and ASAP.

A WRU match report mentioned he was 10 and Henderson 15. Only other players they mentioned was Smith the hooker and Appelson scoring the try at the end.

Ah, I had to edit this as I only skimmed what you'd said and I had repeated it :D

the intercept try Kinghorn scored kind of sums him up, his defence is poor but he is a great attacking weapon, luckily the faults are far easier to cure by coaching, it's not so easy to teach an attacking instinct.

That Appelson try was a peach, if you'll pardon the fruit-based word play.

No and it's not as if Kinghorn is scared to put his body in his technique and power are all wrong and I really think that is down to poor coaching and bad strength and conditioning work.

Of course he could be a Cipriani.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat May 20, 2017 10:53 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39983505

Interesting interview with Turner:

On why not playing young players and expecting them develop is complete nonsense:

As a rugby player, you can train all you like, I've got all the systems down, but it's doing it on the day that's important, and you only get that from playing. You'll be more developed the more you play.

And this in his meeting with Cockers:

"A couple of times in the chat he was saying I'm a local boy from Edinburgh, still youngish, and he liked me because I'm not the biggest hooker in Scottish rugby, but I'm still here and I can compete.

"He said, 'You must be quite good, if you're small'. It was a positive meeting.

"A change is good, and to be told that he really likes how I play boosted my confidence straight away."

Would like to hear what Cockers said to some of the others...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat May 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Duhan on the bench for Montpellier this afternoon.
Carmichael was on the bench too for Force's correction by Higlanders.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby dunna on Sun May 21, 2017 5:42 pm

germain wrote:Duhan on the bench for Montpellier this afternoon.

I watched a bit of the Top14 yesterday. Really like what I saw of Duhan. Solid in defence, strong physical runner. He was unlucky with the bounce of a ball, but showed his pace almost grabbing a try.
dunna
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun May 21, 2017 7:37 pm

dunna wrote:
germain wrote:Duhan on the bench for Montpellier this afternoon.

I watched a bit of the Top14 yesterday. Really like what I saw of Duhan. Solid in defence, strong physical runner. He was unlucky with the bounce of a ball, but showed his pace almost grabbing a try.

Same here. Thought he looked powerful.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue May 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Acadmy players attached to Edinburgh (stage 3) are known :
Ross Dunbar (Boroughmuir), Dan Winning (Boroughmuir);
Hamish Bain (Currie), Jamie Ure (Boroughmuir);
Luke Crosbie (Currie), Archie Erskine (Boroughmuir), Thomas Gordon (Currie);
Charlie Shiel (Currie),
Jason Baggott (Melrose),
Cameron Hutchison (Currie), George Taylor (Melrose)
Ross McCann (Melrose).

From what I've seen, Crosbie, Hutchinson, Winning all look very promising.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue May 23, 2017 1:37 pm

germain wrote:Acadmy players attached to Edinburgh (stage 3) are known :
Charlie Shiel (Currie),
Jason Baggott (Melrose),
Ross McCann (Melrose).

Thanks for that. Do we know what has happened to Jake Kerr, Gary Robertson, Grant McConnell, Ben Robbins & Ruari Howarth. Thought they were in Stage 3 and haven't seen anything about them signing elsewhere?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue May 23, 2017 2:19 pm

germain wrote:Acadmy players attached to Edinburgh (stage 3) are known :
Charlie Shiel (Currie),
Jason Baggott (Melrose),
Ross McCann (Melrose).

Taylor's been a standout player all season for Melrose as well.

But still no new flyhalf in there at all, and no hooker. Problem positions for a long time to come.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue May 23, 2017 2:42 pm

Wottie wrote:Thanks for that. Do we know what has happened to Jake Kerr, Gary Robertson, Grant McConnell, Ben Robbins & Ruari Howarth. Thought they were in Stage 3 and haven't seen anything about them signing elsewhere?

Personnally I don't know. Maybe some of them will take a longer path to become a professionnal rugby player, and some others will do something more interesting :).

gowrie wrote:

But still no new flyhalf in there at all, and no hooker. Problem positions for a long time to come.

It's maybe a bit early to talk of "problem position". At least for hooker. For fly-half, it's another problem but I think that as soon as next year we should see Ross Thompson (u18) or Kyle Brunton (u19) with the u20 and then with the stage 3 players for us. Maybe Galbraith will develop as a stand-off as well.
No full-back not only here but also at Glasgow (I feel that McDowall will be developped as a centre).
Last edited by germain on Tue May 23, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue May 23, 2017 2:54 pm

germain wrote:
Wottie wrote:Thanks for that. Do we know what has happened to Jake Kerr, Gary Robertson, Grant McConnell, Ben Robbins & Ruari Howarth. Thought they were in Stage 3 and haven't seen anything about them signing elsewhere?

Personnally I don't know. Maybe some of them will take a longer path to become a professionnal rugby player, and some others will do something more interesting :).

gowrie wrote:

It's maybe a bit early to talk of "problem position". At least for hooker. For fly-half, it's another problem but I think that as soon as next year we should see Ross Thompson (u18) or Kyle Brunton (u19) with the u20 and then with the stage 3 players. Maybe Galbraith will develop as a stand-off as well.
No full-back not only here but also at Glasgow (I feel that McDowall will be developped as a centre).

Surely Munro and Renwick from the EL+B academy are Edinburghs too? Renwick is a hooker.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue May 23, 2017 3:02 pm

You're absolutly right, I had forgotten this.
Those two players - Garry Munro (9?) and Fraser Renwick - should be attached to Edinburgh...
germain
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue May 23, 2017 5:13 pm

From the article

Scottish Rugby today confirmed the country’s leading young players to be recruited, retained and promoted into the top, full-time tier of the BT Sport Academy.

Some 11 players from the system secured senior professional club contracts last season, with Edinburgh Rugby recruiting six (Hugh Fraser, Tom Galbraith, Darcy Graham [pictured right], Calum Hunter-Hill, Murray McCallum, Ally Miller) and Glasgow Warriors five (Jamie Bhatti, George Horne, Patrick Kelly, Matt Smith, Lewis Wynne).

Dont recall ER announcing Fraser or Galbraith or CHH although he was rumored to be going pro.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue May 23, 2017 5:22 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:From the article

Scottish Rugby today confirmed the country’s leading young players to be recruited, retained and promoted into the top, full-time tier of the BT Sport Academy.

Some 11 players from the system secured senior professional club contracts last season, with Edinburgh Rugby recruiting six (Hugh Fraser, Tom Galbraith, Darcy Graham [pictured right], Calum Hunter-Hill, Murray McCallum, Ally Miller) and Glasgow Warriors five (Jamie Bhatti, George Horne, Patrick Kelly, Matt Smith, Lewis Wynne).

Dont recall ER announcing Fraser or Galbraith or CHH although he was rumored to be going pro.

But it has been announced :
http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/0 ... -edinburgh
germain
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue May 23, 2017 5:30 pm

Doh! Thanks was on hols at that time and somehow missed that but saw berghan had extended.

As you were
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue May 23, 2017 5:55 pm

So now...

1- Al Dickinson, Rory Sutherland, Allan Dell / Ross Dunbar
2- Ross Ford, Neil Cochrane, Stuart McInally, George Turner / Fraser Renwick
3- WP Nel, Murray McCallum, Simon Berghan, Kevin Bryce / Dan Winning
4/5- Ben Toolis, Grant Gilchrist, Fraser McKenzie, Lewis Carmichael, Callum Hunter-Hill / Hamish Bain, Jamie Ure
6- Jamie Ritchie, Viliame Mata, Viliami Fihaki/ Luke Crosbie
7- Hamish Watson, John Hardie / Thomas Gordon
8- Magnus Bradbury, Cornell Du Preez, Ally Miller / Archie Erskine
9- Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Sean Kennedy, Hugh Fraser, Nathan Fowles / Charlie Shiel, Gary Munro
10- Duncan Weir, Jason Tovey, Phil Burleigh / Jason Baggott
12/13- Chris Dean, Tom Galbraith, Solomoni Rasolea, Mark Bennett / George Taylor, Cameron Hutchinson
11/14- Damian Hoyland, Tom Brown, Rory Scholes, Duhan Van Der Merwe, Darcy Graham / Ross McCann
15- Glenn Bryce, Blair Kinghorn

42 professionnal players (24 forwards, 18 backs; 7 non scottish players) and 14 academy players.
Maybe we're still missing 1 loosehead prop, 1 centre (Fruean?) and one full-back/back-three? Plus Bresler?
We can note that Thornton is not amongst the academy players (which means nothing as he is an exile but...). Robin Hislop has also been released by Doncaster.
germain
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum