Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:36 pm

doedin wrote: At the end of the day his tenure was measured by failure to reach the top half of the the league in the 3 seasons he was here. He was a failure.

Whilst I would love to have a squad who could emulate the Weegie rugby style I know that aint going to happen. However whatever the style of rugby we play it has to be one that is going to win games and one that we can actually execute properly. Too often in the Solomons era we were playing a style of game that clearly the players didnt like and couldn’t execute and was very rarely going to win games,and we didnt win many, it was more a matter of waiting for the other team to make mistakes. It was dreary, dull, old fashioned, limited and ultimately a failure.

It's also not like Solly looked all too likely to make us competitive even the season with 11 home wins when it came to the crunch and needing to win games to come top 6 we crumbled. There wasn't much progression from season to season, players didn't show great development and it didn't look like he knew how to turn the ship around. Whereas Cockers seems like he has a good handle on the issues and sounds like the man who will turn this around.

I think if folks see players - especially the younger kids - developing and improvements from week to week they will be happy.

I also think Cockers will want to show he isn't a dinosaur and can play nice stuff.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:35 pm

Signing news this pm. Presumably Bresler?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:21 pm

biffer wrote:Signing news this pm. Presumably Bresler?

SBW
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Darryl Marfo. Loosehead prop. Formerly of bath, London Welsh, Harlequins. Squad cover by the looks of things.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Scottish qualified as well.

I wonder if there are injury concerns about our LHs that we don't know about.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Or concern that they are all too good and could all be away with Scotland at the same time :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:00 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Scottish qualified as well.

I wonder if there are injury concerns about our LHs that we don't know about.

The injury concerns we do know about are enough to warrant an extra loosehead.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby malkster1 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Good solid signing, especially as the 4th choice LH were everyone fit but slightly concerned on where Sutherland and Dickinson are in terms of playing again.
malkster1
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:09 pm

I share folks concerns about both Dickinson and Sutherland, particularly the latter. Embra up to their usual poor comms when it comes to updates?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:32 pm

Cosgrove moved on presumably to get first team rugby, if there were long term concerns over Dicko or Sutherland it would have made sense for him to stay.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:42 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Cosgrove moved on presumably to get first team rugby, if there were long term concerns over Dicko or Sutherland it would have made sense for him to stay.

when did Cosgrove actually sign up his move, when did concerns become known (if there are any) about the other Dicko and Sutherland?

Cosgrove at the time saw himself (or even was told) 4th choice, wasn't offered much if anything to stay so a move nearer home pretty good option. Perhaps the injuries are now felt to be more chronic and another, cheaper option, is seen as a sensible insurance policy. Not at all convinced Cosgrove would have stayed on the off chance a couple of injuries might not clear up; and not at all convinced that Edinburgh would have happily let him go if they felt the injuries were possibly not going to clear
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:45 pm

doedin wrote: Embra up to their usual poor comms when it comes to updates?

their absence is all the comms I needed to know there is a worry. If still absent at season start then I'll worry even more. We do not need updates on their recovery or otherwise until there is something definitive to report.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Stevie1990 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Looking on the site and I don't see any of the new players in the roster? Are they getting the new team photo before updating or is it just not updating the site efficiently?
Stevie1990
Embra Debut

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:01 pm

What exactly other than the fact they are injured would you like them to say?

Not so long ago Edinburgh were criticised for giving away too much info and giving away their position in negotiations (cant remember exact circumstances)

For Cosgrove, bear in mind there is a duality of interest. It is better to have a journeyman fill the 4th choice position than a promising young Scot who needs game time. There is also the budget to consider, with 3 international LHs there is not a lot of room for a 4th in terms of cash, so it is sensible use of budget if this guy is cheaper. We cant stockpile players in the off chance they are needed. If Sutherland and Dickinson are fit there is a question as to how we justify having Dell, if either are injured then he is essential, it is a very fine line when building squads.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm a little surprised everyone seems to be reading so much into this. All fit, we have 3 of Scotland's top 4 LHs, which means it's a realistic case that both match-day LHs will come from us, having a 4th pro is just a simple necessity for us regardless of injury status.
gowrie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum