Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2017/18

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Frenchy wrote:Cammy Fenton signed for the season. Normally plays at hooker, but the press release is calling him "versatile" and says that he will cover "across the Edinburgh front row".

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/0 ... -year-deal

"We're thinking of offering you a full-time contract. By the way, we're also really short of props at the moment. Would you say you were willing to play anywhere in the front row if need be, or only at hooker?"
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:36 pm

It is extremely rare that a player can cover more than one front row position. McCallum seems to be able to do it, but I think if we see Fenton it will be at hooker.

Have I dreamt it or has he been training with the squad for a while? Sure we had a young Glasgow hooker come to us when Turner went to the dark side.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Looks like there is a risk one or more of our injured LHs might not be back as quickly as previously thought? Fenton sounds like he is being brought in as cover for Dicko, Sutherland or Dell? Hooker jersey looks ok until AIs come around when perhaps we lose Ford and McInally?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:It is extremely rare that a player can cover more than one front row position. McCallum seems to be able to do it, but I think if we see Fenton it will be at hooker.

Have I dreamt it or has he been training with the squad for a while? Sure we had a young Glasgow hooker come to us when Turner went to the dark side.

He's been around all of pre-season like the sevens players, Fenton looked alright vs Sale when he come on.

Wouldn't want to see McCallum play hooker mind! Fenton was at 7 for Hawks this weekend, no chance he'll see time at loosehead or tighthead otherwise he's in danger and we're in a lot of bother. Kev Bryce vs Munster was all over the shop after moving over from hooker, seems unrealistic a 21 year old 1 or 2 pro games who is playing 7 at semi pro level will manage.

Hopefully he's decent though, we sorely need a good young hooker coming through. Oh well, not like Turner has been a stand out for Glasgow...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:58 am

Agree on the versatility.

I think Turner playing for Glasgow says more about their squad depth than ours. I'm quite happy to have Mcinally and Ford and both are playing well ( line outs last week excepted).

It would possibly have made more sense to send them Cochrane, Brown is still young and Malcolm looks a decent youngster.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:30 am

Good that Cockerill thinks Fenton is good enough for pro rugby and given current injuries he may even get some game time.

The last injury update on the LHs was Dickinson was due back December, Sutherland November and Dell October no mention in any case of it being beginning or end of month etc

Rizzo is only here for 6 weeks, which would take him to about the end of October, unless the deal can be extended, so roughly until Dell is due to return.

Re Tuner: He is only 2 years younger than McInally he needs to be playing so Glasgow looks to be good for him at present. Cockerill must have had a look at him in training etc before agreeing his loan to Glasgow. If we are to lose McInally and Ford during internationals probably better to have the experience of Cochrane around supporting someone like Fenton just out the academy.

Have not seen or heard anything on Mata yet either last update was “Bill Mata is expected to return to the capital at the start of the season once his visa has been renewed.” Anyone see him at the match last week, know if he is back or not?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:59 am

Good point, we are actually quite light in the back row at the moment, in terms of numbers anyway.

Really we only have Ritchie, Bradbury, Mata, CDP, Hardie & Watson. Given it is not far fetched to think we could lose 4 of them for the AIs it may be an issue, anyone else I am missing?

What EDPs do we have? If not then Fenton may well have to play backrow, or Mckenzie.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:06 am

Ally Miller is a back row on pro contract and I think Luke Crosbie is on an academy deal perhaps?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:49 am

Miller is on a pro deal, and we have Luke Crosbie (who could slot into pro rugby right now IMO), Archie Erskine, Thomas Gordon, and Jamie Ure on Stage 3 contracts with the Academy. Gordon's an openside and the others are blindsides, which might leave us light at 8.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Sounds like we have a fair bit of cover there, must admit I don't know much about the young guys, hopefully they are as good as Bradbry and Ritcthie

If we have Bradbury, Ritchie and CDP for No 8 it is probably too much to ask to carry another in the squad. Watson can do everything else, so would imaging he could do that too, actually him exploding off the back of a scrum could be very effective!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:25 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:If we have Bradbury, Ritchie and CDP for No 8 it is probably too much to ask to carry another in the squad. Watson can do everything else, so would imaging he could do that too, actually him exploding off the back of a scrum could be very effective!

He used to pretty much exclusively play number 8 for Accies. He was indeed incredibly effective.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:35 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Good that Cockerill thinks Fenton is good enough for pro rugby and given current injuries he may even get some game time.

The last injury update on the LHs was Dickinson was due back December, Sutherland November and Dell October no mention in any case of it being beginning or end of month etc

Rizzo is only here for 6 weeks, which would take him to about the end of October, unless the deal can be extended, so roughly until Dell is due to return.

Re Tuner: He is only 2 years younger than McInally he needs to be playing so Glasgow looks to be good for him at present. Cockerill must have had a look at him in training etc before agreeing his loan to Glasgow. If we are to lose McInally and Ford during internationals probably better to have the experience of Cochrane around supporting someone like Fenton just out the academy.

Turner will play more games for Scotland than McInally this season, won't be surprised to see Ford starting and Turner benching if Brown is out.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:42 am

Rambo threw a few shonky darts against the Drags, but otherwise was excellent over the two games so far. His ball carrying is back to his best.

I can't think that Cockerill will let our lineout continue to be so poor, i hope not anyway.I never played when lifting was legal, but I can't understand how Edinburgh, Glasgow and Scotland's lineout work has been so poor for so long.
Mind you Wales have been guff from the touchline for a while now so there is obviously more to it then meets the eye.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Deadball on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:17 am

Tichtheid wrote:Rambo threw a few shonky darts against the Drags, but otherwise was excellent over the two games so far. His ball carrying is back to his best.

I can't think that Cockerill will let our lineout continue to be so poor, i hope not anyway.I never played when lifting was legal, but I can't understand how Edinburgh, Glasgow and Scotland's lineout work has been so poor for so long.
Mind you Wales have been guff from the touchline for a while now so there is obviously more to it then meets the eye.

If you are referring to lineout throws and lifts, I agree that element does need work but despite that, Edinburghs' lineout has still been one of the best in the comp last two/three years if not the best which is down to Toolis,..how can you say it's been poor?. Gilchrist has been calling lineouts last two games for some reason..not his area of strength..improved when Toolis took over last week. Big improvement in Scotlands lineouts as well as seen in summer test..We clearly dominated Australia in the lineout especially.
Deadball
Embra Debut

Postby BigD163 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Turner will play more games for Scotland than McInally this season, won't be surprised to see Ford starting and Turner benching if Brown is out.

Will be interesting to see how Toony/MacFarlane view it. As it stands they and Brown are the future post RWC19. McInally has started the season better bar the odd wonky throw and IIRC Turner has never been selected ahead of a fit McInally for any squad (including last summers tour) unless McInally was rested.

Tichtheid wrote:I can't think that Cockerill will let our lineout continue to be so poor, i hope not anyway.I never played when lifting was legal, but I can't understand how Edinburgh, Glasgow and Scotland's lineout work has been so poor for so long.

It really is weird. The Scottish line out in particular can go from the sublime to the ridiculous. Although at times I do wish the lineouts lost stat was broken down to lost due to being squint etc and stolen. Sometimes hookers can throw a perfect dart, the lifter and jumper do everything right and the opposition simply get up 6 inches in front and steal it.
BigD163
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum