Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderator: chappo

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby gowrie on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 pm

As pointed out in the other thread, we've now gotten our first signing for next season with Barclay which demands a new thread.

Players out of contract in 2018
P: Bryce, Marfo
H: Cochrane, Fenton, Turner
L: Bresler, Carmichael, Toolis
BR: du Preez, Hardie, Mata
SH: Hidalgo-Clyne
FH: Tovey, Weir
C: Burleigh, Dean, Galbraith, Rasolea
B3: Bryce, Harries, Hoyland

And the currently contracted squad for next season:
P: Berghan, Dell, Dickinson, McCallum, Nel, Sutherland
H: Ford, McInally
L: Gilchrist, Hunter-Hill, McKenzie
BR: Barclay, Bradbury, Miller, Ritchie, Watson
SH: Fowles, Kennedy
FH: Van der Walt
C: Bennett, Fruean
B3: Brown, Graham, Kinghorn, Van Der Merwe
gowrie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:57 am

Being lazy but it would be good to add in the Stage 3 academy players who are likely to step up.

Are the 7s contracts just annual contracts?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby gowrie on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:23 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Being lazy but it would be good to add in the Stage 3 academy players who are likely to step up.

Are the 7s contracts just annual contracts?


Academy
P: Ross Dunbar, Duncan Ferguson, Dan Winning
H: Fraser Renwick
L: Hamish Bain, Archie Erskine
BR: Luke Crosbie, Thomas Gordon, Jamie Ure
SH: Gary Munro, Charlie Shiel
FH: Jason Baggott
C: Cameron Hutchison, George Taylor
B3: Ross McCann

Crosbie looks the only one absolutely certain to get a contract. The others depend on who we sign/let go. Winning/Ferguson could replace Bryce, Renwick replace Turner/Cochrane, Shiel replace Fraser, Taylor replace Rasolea, McCann replace Hoyland.
gowrie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:26 pm

SHC is an interesting one, if shiel is decent I wonder if the SRU cut their losses and hope he catches on somewhere else? Maybe the same with Dean too - I think theres a player in there but he's being pigeon holed at 13 here. I wonder if a French club or someone like that would take a flier?

I wonder what position Cockers sees Carmichael's future too. The signing of Barclay and emergence of Crosbie means back row is a contested spot. Second row is thinner and I do worry about Toolis being signed up in England or France as his performances over the last year were outstanding and now on the international stage he is stepping up too.

I also think the SRU might switch du Preez to Glasgow. We have a stacked back row but their carrying options are not where they need to be. I really don't think du Preez and Bradbury can play in the same back row and it is a log jam there now.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:29 pm

gowrie wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Being lazy but it would be good to add in the Stage 3 academy players who are likely to step up.

Are the 7s contracts just annual contracts?


Academy
P: Ross Dunbar, Duncan Ferguson, Dan Winning
H: Fraser Renwick
L: Hamish Bain, Archie Erskine
BR: Luke Crosbie, Thomas Gordon, Jamie Ure
SH: Gary Munro, Charlie Shiel
FH: Jason Baggott
C: Cameron Hutchison, George Taylor
B3: Ross McCann

Crosbie looks the only one absolutely certain to get a contract. The others depend on who we sign/let go. Winning/Ferguson could replace Bryce, Renwick replace Turner/Cochrane, Shiel replace Fraser, Taylor replace Rasolea, McCann replace Hoyland.


How old are they? Surely some have another year or two in the academy? Because you're right other than Crosbie, Shiel and Dunbar none are close to getting a look in here.

Winning, Fenwick, Bain, Shiel, Taylor, McCann and Crosbie no longer 20s eligible - anyway else know about the rest?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:11 pm

It is worrying that both Fowles and Kennedy have another year left. Neither has really shown they are capable of making the shirt their own. I relaly don't understand Fowles being in the Scotland squad.

SHC has issues but he at least shows flashes of quality and I think is still by far the best of the 3. Maybe a move will help him, but if he does move we need a top end scrum half or possibly 2 for next season. I think Pyrgos is available in the summer and we could do a lot worse. The lad laying in soup rugby has got to be a target in the summer, although I think he just signed a new contract, cant remember if it was with the Chiefs or moving to the Hurricanes.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby germain on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:26 pm

I still think Kennedy can do a great job for us. At least as well as Pyrgos. Let the Glaswegians where they are when they are not obviously better and/or necessary...

Thomas Gordon could be interesting too. Maybe a little bit light for the pro game but I would like to see what he can do though with Watson, Barclay, Ritchie and Crosbie who all can cover the 7 slot, there's not much place for him...
germain
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby BigD163 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I also think the SRU might switch du Preez to Glasgow. We have a stacked back row but their carrying options are not where they need to be. I really don't think du Preez and Bradbury can play in the same back row and it is a log jam there now.


They absolutely shouldn't. There has been little or no precedent for moving starting XV players from 1 or side to the other it shouldn't happen.

The season is long and hard. Having 6 good back rowers is no longer a nice to have it is a necessity. If Bradbury and CdP can't play in the same back row that's fine, RC has plenty of combinations he can use.
BigD163
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:07 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:01 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:I also think the SRU might switch du Preez to Glasgow. We have a stacked back row but their carrying options are not where they need to be. I really don't think du Preez and Bradbury can play in the same back row and it is a log jam there now.


They absolutely shouldn't. There has been little or no precedent for moving starting XV players from 1 or side to the other it shouldn't happen.

The season is long and hard. Having 6 good back rowers is no longer a nice to have it is a necessity. If Bradbury and CdP can't play in the same back row that's fine, RC has plenty of combinations he can use.


Because the majority of switching is their backs ups to us. I'd argue Turner to Glasgow is an exception, Lee Jones too and Ryan Grant.

Players get better at Glasgow because they are exposed to better coaching and environments. Whereas at Edinburgh theres more expected of them with much worse coaching and culture. We'll see how Bennett goes though.

Du Preez to Glasgow from a SRU perspective makes sense as he and Bradbury are the two most talented carriers in Scotland and need to play 8 regularly. They won't get that here.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby BigD163 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:I also think the SRU might switch du Preez to Glasgow. We have a stacked back row but their carrying options are not where they need to be. I really don't think du Preez and Bradbury can play in the same back row and it is a log jam there now.


They absolutely shouldn't. There has been little or no precedent for moving starting XV players from 1 or side to the other it shouldn't happen.

The season is long and hard. Having 6 good back rowers is no longer a nice to have it is a necessity. If Bradbury and CdP can't play in the same back row that's fine, RC has plenty of combinations he can use.


Because the majority of switching is their backs ups to us. I'd argue Turner to Glasgow is an exception, Lee Jones too and Ryan Grant.

Players get better at Glasgow because they are exposed to better coaching and environments. Whereas at Edinburgh theres more expected of them with much worse coaching and culture. We'll see how Bennett goes though.

Du Preez to Glasgow from a SRU perspective makes sense as he and Bradbury are the two most talented carriers in Scotland and need to play 8 regularly. They won't get that here.


So the fact still remains the SRU have never sent or very rarely sent a 1st choice player along the M8.

Turner wasn't 1st choice, Grant was poor at Edinburgh and Jones had lost his was and has had to.work a long way back to being involved.

There are plenty of games in a season and substantially weakening Edinburgh for Glasgows gain or vice versa is daft. That would leave Edinburgh needing to sign a decent back up 8. There is no reason that Bradbury or CdP wouldn't see enough game time next season. There are at least 26 games a season and plenty to.go around and that's before injuries are included. Especially considering CdP should be entering his prime.

Keeping Edinburgh improving has to.be a priority for the SRU too.

If the SRU are that concerned they can go get Denton out his contract for Glasgow.
BigD163
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:07 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby germain on Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:55 pm

I agree with BigD. We need anyway two 8 in our squad.
It doesn't matter if they play well together or not. Ashe and Vunisa probably are not very compatible, but they're both needed at Glasgow. It's the same here with Du Preez and Bradbury. There's nothing to do than be happy to see how strong we are in this position.
germain
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:01 pm

I agree with BigD no way should DuPreez move west. If he is now pain free post injury as reported I expect he will soon be back to his best in which case few can match him. Mata I think could move though, decent ball carrier and would fit the weegie style.

I don't think the coaching argument is relevant anymore either, undoubtedly the environment at Glasgow was better in the past but we have seen significant improvement already this season under Cockerill with more to come.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1383
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:04 pm

CdP going to Glasgow would be a terrible mistake. It only takes a couple of injuries and suddenly a stocked position looks bare. At the moment we have Watson and Hardie (for now, maybe Miller will step into that spot) at 7, Crosbie, Ritchie and Mata at 6 and CDP and Bradbury at 8 with Barclay to come with the ability to play right across the backrow.
If he continues his way back to his best CDP will be with Scotland for, what, ten weeks of the season? As will Watson, Barclay and probably Bradbury. Then there is rotation.
8 backrow player for four spots (inc the bench) over nearly forty games if the season goes well isn't overstocking.
There is plenty of room for all those players



I'd be fighting tooth and nail to keep CDP
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby gowrie on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:05 pm

If Du Preez leaves Edinburgh, which is a strong possibility, it won't be to Glasgow, it'll be to England or France. It depends on how his season goes, if he carries on this strong form the offers are going to come in that we can't match, especially now he's SQ and tied to us.
gowrie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 am

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby gowrie on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:How old are they? Surely some have another year or two in the academy? Because you're right other than Crosbie, Shiel and Dunbar none are close to getting a look in here.

Winning, Fenwick, Bain, Shiel, Taylor, McCann and Crosbie no longer 20s eligible - anyway else know about the rest?

Winning, Renwick, Bain, Crosbie, Gordon, Ure, Shiel, McCann were the 2017 cohort
Dunbar, Erskine, Munro, and Hutchison are 2018
Taylor's 2016, Baggot's 2014 so this is his last year I think. Don't know about Ferguson, might be 2016?
gowrie
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:31 am

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests