Kings v Edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Kings v Edinburgh

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:36 pm

I'll take 48 points and a win bonus away from home. That's better than quite a few sides have managed away to the King's, and 5 points from two games in SA at a tricky time of year for us is a decent return. We're only 4 points behind Ulster, ok they have a game in hand but we're still in with a chance of challenging them for 3rd place.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:I'll take 48 points and a win bonus away from home. That's better than quite a few sides have managed away to the King's, and 5 points from two games in SA at a tricky time of year for us is a decent return. We're only 4 points behind Ulster, ok they have a game in hand but we're still in with a chance of challenging them for 3rd place.

This :above: in spades

Well done lads
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Definitely wasn't pretty from either team for long periods - felt like the rugby equivalent of that bit in Father Ted where Dougal and Eoin McLove are playing slaps at times.

Totally agree with CG though - 5 points away from home is never to be sneezed at. Very good win.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:I'll take 48 points and a win bonus away from home. That's better than quite a few sides have managed away to the King's, and 5 points from two games in SA at a tricky time of year for us is a decent return. We're only 4 points behind Ulster, ok they have a game in hand but we're still in with a chance of challenging them for 3rd place.

Can't argue with that
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:33 pm

Ulster drawing with Dragons at HT. Same in 40 mins would nice.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:15 pm

That's six league wins this season - equalling last season's total.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Frenchy wrote:That's six league wins this season - equalling last season's total.

Amazing what getting a decent coach can do for your fortunes, eh?
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:26 pm

Dragons /Ulster all up in the air again, would prefer Dragons to edge it.
Pitfitter

Postby zt1903 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Pitfitter wrote:Dragons /Ulster all up in the air again, would prefer Dragons to edge it.

It’s finished all square. 32-32.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:26 am

Possibly a bit early but does anyone know if highlights/full game is available online?
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:21 am

gowrie wrote:
Weegie wrote:Just discovered there was live commentary, I'm not happy.

23-49 bonus point sounds like a spanking. Anyone watching / listening, was it Edinburgh good Kings bad, or a bit of both?

Don't think Edinburgh were anything special, we were still playing pretty straightforward one-out rugby at the end, but they tired more than we did so we started going forward. Sam's tries were all snipes from rucks 1/2m out from a few phases of forward carries.

Looked weak on the restarts, Gilchrist fumbled two that went right to him that I saw. Our kickchase was pretty weak and didn't put them under a whole lot of pressure. The backline were not creating any space at all, Kinghorn was the only one who looked like he could beat a tackle, and I noticed that he was the one taking the penalties to touch.

In the end, not bad but not good. Didn't need to be to win tbf.

Cockerill not quite so gloomy (and full of praise for SHC which New Gunner will be happy about).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42179797
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:07 am

New Gunner wrote:So let's hear it from the 'SHC's never going to make it' brigade then.

Last Embra player to score a hat trick?

Last Embra player to score 21 points in 23 minutes?

Last Embra player to score 4 tries in one and a quarter games?

Fowles still on 1 try in Embra career to date.

Yes I know his service can be shaky. Yes, his box kicks out on the full can be a nightmare. But cut the guy some slack FFS :roll:

Delighted for SHC and hope he can kick on from this. Maybe he watched the AI’s and has decided he would quite like a slice of that as well. HOWEVER, there are guys outside him that can do the scoring stuff if he does his job correctly and you’ll forgive me if I would prefer he primarily focuses on the stuff you refer to in the final paragraph of your post given his position.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:58 am

The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:58 pm

Thought we were pretty decent for the first 30mins, bit messy the next 30 and then finished strongly.

Tempo was good at start and then SHC lifted it again off the bench as did Toolis and Crosbie.

Mata try was nice, plenty to work on but take the BP win and move on to Europe.

Building nicely towards the 1872 with the weegies unbeaten run on the line as well.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks for the link, FG.

I thought we were terrific for the first quarter, really positive, good quick ball got us on the front foot and we raced away to 21 points. We had a two try deficit thanks to two howler passes from CDP of all people (otherwise he had a very good game) but the pass to the toes of Van der Walt which led to a run in for them, and the pass which zipped over Van der Merve's left shoulder which cost us a try was a turning point and the game got scrappy after that.
As has been said we got it together again with the subs of Sammy and Toolis, though Fraz had made great efforts to things back on track with his carrying. It was interesting that when those subs were made we got quick ball again and finished very strongly. They never really looked like scoring, they got one sponny try and driving maul success after we were 30 points up, a forward down with seconds on the clock. It's a shame we lost that try, our maul defence had been good up till then.

Plusses - the defence was good, Van der Merve looks a likely prospect, Sammy's speed of thought (21 points from that), Bill Mata before he got hurt.
5 points

Medium to poor, and this is being very critical, it took a while to re-assert control and get quick ball on the front foot after those mistakes mentioned earlier.

Still a work in progress, but we are at the number of league wins we got last season.

I really want us to break the Weedgies' stride over the holiday period.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum