1872 First Leg

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 First Leg

Postby robdinsdale on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Frenchy wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:Why was he clapping an Edinburgh advantage anyway?

Presume he was trying to gee Glasgow up for the next play, shouting something like "Come on, one more phase" rather than "Splendid play boys".

Well, that didn't work out so well.

Do we have a new tactic with centres joining the maul late on when it's set? Burleigh did it earlier in the game, then Dean did it to take the ball and score.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:17 pm

doedin wrote:The Weegies were just awful! Their pack were well beaten, the lost the breakdown and never really got good clean ball. When they did they either went for the heroic off load or kicked aimlessly. They looked about 5 yards off the pace all night. Just weren't up for it.

Makes for an interesting game next week. Cant see the Weegies playing so badly again. However can see us playing the same game and doing well!

One area where Edinburgh have a massive advantage is the back row. Harley and Vunisa were shocking last night IMO leaving young Smith (28 tackles!) fighting our 2/3 by himself. Not sure if Gibbons is back but if he isn't I'd expect more of the same next game.

The nature of the game due to the red meant it was never going to be pretty and it's food to grind out a win where Kinghorn had a quiet game in attack knowing we should get him in the game more next week. It was good to see Kinghorn have a solid, do the basics mostly right type of game.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:26 am

I certainly don't understand mauls but...

Cummings' try. If Edinburgh don't engage to form a maul, then isn't the whole point to engineer an offside situation where there are attacking players in front of the ball carrier? I get that Cummings takes the ball from the line out and doesn't pass it back, but both Kebble and Harley are in front of him in the 'maul', and Kebble clearly crosses the try line before Cummings. So offside pen for Edinburgh?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:40 am

New Gunner wrote:I certainly don't understand mauls but...

Cummings' try. If Edinburgh don't engage to form a maul, then isn't the whole point to engineer an offside situation where there are attacking players in front of the ball carrier? I get that Cummings takes the ball from the line out and doesn't pass it back, but both Kebble and Harley are in front of him in the 'maul', and Kebble clearly crosses the try line before Cummings. So offside pen for Edinburgh?

Harley and Kebble are at best level when he come to ground and for a few steps forward, but I think Cummings crosses the line first. So the argument I guess could be that they are obstructing - but as no Edinburgh player tries to tackle or engage, there is no material obstruction. Or something.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Had a wee read of the posts on the Warriors site as usual, and some of them are very touchy/bitchy after the weekend, some of it reads like football fan sites, not in the*******? cup so it doesn't count,Mickey Mouse trophy, etc, very different when they are winning.
Pitfitter

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Pitfitter wrote:Had a wee read of the posts on the Warriors site as usual, and some of them are very touchy/bitchy after the weekend, some of it reads like football fan sites, not in the*******? cup so it doesn't count,Mickey Mouse trophy, etc, very different when they are winning.

It’s not worth it mate. But you are right on your football fan comments. A bit sour grapes, a bit unpleasantness but some decent comment too. Tends to be the same folk. Some of the particularly mouthy ones have been scare since Saturday but suspect they’ll be loud and proud if the results reversed this week.

I’m just well chuffed with how we got the result last Saturday. I’ll worry about this week later.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Yep, tomorrow is another day, but until the next game I'll savour any and all victories. Unfortunately I'll have to settle for the next game on the box.
Pitfitter

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Pitfitter wrote:Yep, tomorrow is another day, but until the next game I'll savour any and all victories. Unfortunately I'll have to settle for the next game on the box.

Having been at all the away games we lost I didn’t go last season but back this year. Kiss of death I suspect
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:41 pm

Pitfitter wrote:Had a wee read of the posts on the Warriors site as usual, and some of them are very touchy/bitchy after the weekend, some of it reads like football fan sites, not in the*******? cup so it doesn't count,Mickey Mouse trophy, etc, very different when they are winning.

It's been most entertaining
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:51 pm

biffer wrote:

Indeed. :blahblah:
Pitfitter

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Pitfitter wrote:
biffer wrote:

Indeed. :blahblah:

Everyone has that embarrassing relation
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:41 pm

GaryIPA wrote:

It’s not worth it mate. But you are right on your football fan comments. A bit sour grapes, a bit unpleasantness but some decent comment too. Tends to be the same folk. Some of the particularly mouthy ones have been scare since Saturday but suspect they’ll be loud and proud if the results reversed this week.

I’m just well chuffed with how we got the result last Saturday. I’ll worry about this week later.

Careful, you will win "Pri*k of the year" with comments like that!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:43 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

Careful, you will win "Pri*k of the year" with comments like that!

I believe it’s already been awarded and the reality is folk saying things like ‘you are pr1ck of the year’ are probably already ‘pr1ck of the year’
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:35 am

Hey Martin, you checking to see if we are reading your match reports? I assume you meant Edinburgh-born? :lol:

"It started out rather differently. In front of a record crowd of 24,000, Glasgow were seven points up almost from the off. Tommy Seymour ran a gorgeous line, slicing through the defence untouched at pace. The Lion drifted left before releasing Edinburgh-bound Huw Jones on what is becoming his trademark arcing run. The outside centre breezed past the cover to cross and it looked like it might be a long night for the home side. A superb, typically Glasgow, try."
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Wottie wrote:Hey Martin, you checking to see if we are reading your match reports? I assume you meant Edinburgh-born? :lol:

I take a long term view. The prodigal is merely resting in the West before he comes home.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum