Edinburgh v Kings 05 Jan 18, 1935 Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Kings 05 Jan 18, 1935 Myreside

Postby biffer on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:31 am

Tichtheid wrote:
disco wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I don't think Finn Russell was any Finn Russell when he started.

I like the look of Jaco, he tries things, ha has good hands. I get very frustrated that kicking the ball over the touchlne seems to be an issue, but he is not alone in that failing.

Between him, Dunc and the Tovenator we have a bit of depth, I think, as long as Jason signs up for more.

Is Tovey not likely to be a goner with Hickey arriving next season?

I had forgotten/overlooked Hickey,

There is also our Rugby League Wunderkind, McLelland, too

I hope Tovey doesn't go, I like him as a player, but I guess it's all down to how he sees his place in the team and vice versa

Lets not forget Baggott either.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:18 pm

macdone wrote:
biffer wrote:
New Gunner wrote:Professional performance.

Like Van der Walt, he's no Finn Russell but he takes the ball to the line well and has a crisp and accurate pass, evidenced for the VDM try. Loved Gilcho's footwork, Watson and Toolis showed up well and the props a) held their own and b) weren't injured.

I see Kinghorn now tops both the Pro14 metres gained (1088, Piutau second on ~800) and defenders beaten (48) - impressive.

Kinghorn the only player whose stats are now measured in kilometres.

He's unbelievable. I'm torn over whether I want him to make the Scotland squad but that's me being selfish!

Making the squad would be great for his confidence and he is a confidence player. Working with Hogg and Maitland would surely help too.

However, I'd be surprised if he made a match day 23. Hogg is nailed on fullback and will apparently be fit and Kinghorn only plays 15 so won't be a useful 23.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:56 pm

Horne covers 10/12 though, and all our centres play both positions fairly regularly, Jones and Taylor even play wing. Kinghorn's just too good to leave out IMO, bringing on a guy like him who can cut through a defence to set up a winning score is worth way more than what you gain from another player who might cover another position.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:23 pm

I think Kinghorn will get invited to train with the squad but won’t be near the 23. Still doubts over his defence.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:23 am

No doubt Kinghorn will get lots and lots of caps but he is still just 20 and makes a number of mistakes in every game which would get punished at international level. He is young, still learning and developing physically so best to let him learn his trade and build his confidence. If things go well then perhaps a cameo against the Italians might be as much as we should expect this year? Let him train with the squad and get a feel for what is expected at the highest level, he will learn a lot.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:50 am

doedin wrote:No doubt Kinghorn will get lots and lots of caps but he is still just 20 and makes a number of mistakes in every game which would get punished at international level. He is young, still learning and developing physically so best to let him learn his trade and build his confidence. If things go well then perhaps a cameo against the Italians might be as much as we should expect this year? Let him train with the squad and get a feel for what is expected at the highest level, he will learn a lot.

The first sentence is the perceived wisdom on Kinghorn, but I think there’s been a noticeable improvement recently. I didn’t notice any obvious mistakes in the last month or two, and I think his positioning has improved markedly in defence. We have to be careful that “he makes mistakes” isn’t something that’s attributed to him throughout his career, regardless of facts.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:35 am

With Hogg yet to return to playing you would think Kinghorn would have to training with the Scotland squad.

He looks to have improved both his tackle technique and positioning, there still a few errors but this season they appear to be in less key areas of the pitch for example he banged a kick from hand straight to touch on Friday looked like it went into the main stand rather than anywhere near the touch line but a few minutes later he got us 30-40m with another kick. Not dissimilar to Russell who makes mistakes but puts them out his mind and moves on, I will take those sort of errors over missing the ball when clearing up at FB.

Fowles – no issues with his delivery but for me does not vary his game enough looks like he is still in the Solly one game plan lets stick to it mode, couple of times the Kings “defence” spread too wide and left holes next to the ruck would like to have seen him pick up and attack that space rather than just wait to make the pass. Kennedy at present looks to be playing a bit more heads up when he has come on.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:35 pm

biffer wrote:
doedin wrote:No doubt Kinghorn will get lots and lots of caps but he is still just 20 and makes a number of mistakes in every game which would get punished at international level. He is young, still learning and developing physically so best to let him learn his trade and build his confidence. If things go well then perhaps a cameo against the Italians might be as much as we should expect this year? Let him train with the squad and get a feel for what is expected at the highest level, he will learn a lot.

The first sentence is the perceived wisdom on Kinghorn, but I think there’s been a noticeable improvement recently. I didn’t notice any obvious mistakes in the last month or two, and I think his positioning has improved markedly in defence. We have to be careful that “he makes mistakes” isn’t something that’s attributed to him throughout his career, regardless of facts.

I was wondering about this, the only “mistake” I can think of from Friday’s game was a clearance kick in the second half that wasn’t brilliant but worked out ok as he chased it rather well.

I was more concerned with Mark Bennett jokingly referring to his own butterfingers as something he is reknowned for.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Solid all round performance once we got to grips with how the ref wanted the game played. I was quite impressed with Van der Walt, who's handling and kicking was good given the conditions. Thought he got the outside backs moving well, and looked willing to make the occasional break. Looks a good addition to the squad.

I like the look of Van der Walt, he's a solid lump of a fly half and he distributes well. His kicking to touch needs to be 100% though.

But speaking of recent South African signings... Van der Merwe is promising to be some find. It's probably unsurprising that he takes some stopping as he's quite a unit, but he's also quick when he gets away and his all round play is sound.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:04 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:With Hogg yet to return to playing you would think Kinghorn would have to training with the Scotland squad.

He looks to have improved both his tackle technique and positioning, there still a few errors but this season they appear to be in less key areas of the pitch for example he banged a kick from hand straight to touch on Friday looked like it went into the main stand rather than anywhere near the touch line but a few minutes later he got us 30-40m with another kick. Not dissimilar to Russell who makes mistakes but puts them out his mind and moves on, I will take those sort of errors over missing the ball when clearing up at FB.

Your first statement is bang on. We need our best emerging talent to be around our best current talent on a regular basis. It is how they will learn and improve. I can see a scenario whereby he gets 20 minutes against Italy to create some craziness as the game opens up and there are chances to be taken. Would help his confidence no end.

I would take issue with highlighting the kicking errors too much though. The 22 drop out in the first half that went deep into the Kings' 22 was an immense piece of kicking. One of Hogg's defensive strengths is his ability to clear with a good amount of welly. If King Blairhorn is developing that skill, then I have no problem with the occasional mistake.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Looks to me that VdM goes into the tackle in too upright a position. He managed to bounce through quite a few of the King's tacklers, but I think we'll see him give away quite few "maul" scrum turnovers against the better teams unless he learns to dip his shoulder into the tackle more often.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Looks to me that VdM goes into the tackle in too upright a position. He managed to bounce through quite a few of the King's tacklers, but I think we'll see him give away quite few "maul" scrum turnovers against the better teams unless he learns to dip his shoulder into the tackle more often.

Agree he does seem too upright, but in all the games I've seen him in so far (including Glasgow) he seems to batter through very successfully, like a cross between Josh Strauss and 'Pinball Wizard' Watson. It's quite compulsive viewing.

Munster will be the litmus test - does he fall (or rather not fall) victim to the choke tackle, or will we be treated to the wondrous sight of Keith Earls bouncing off him like a beach ball?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:27 pm

biffer wrote:

What was noticeable about the 1872 was he was quiet aside from a little sizzle. There were no howlers to speak of. With Cockers and Grant in post you'd know he'd be committed and willing to put his body on the line.

To pick up where doedin left off - McCallum and Matt Fagerson made the Scotland training squad without the impact Kinghorn has made. He needs to be in the squad. Otherwise it's bad coaching.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Tons of players who have done far less than Kinghorn have made Scotland squads, some have been capped as well. Our back 3 is not remotely close to being good enough to ignore a player of his talent.

Kinghorn's massively reduced his error rate after a bump early in the season, and I can't think of anyone who's been the full article before they've been capped. Players like Hogg, Russell and Gray have hugely benefitted from being exposed to test rugby.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:46 am

I expect Kinghorn will be named in the extended squad for the 6N's. He has to start getting experience of the international set up now. Don't see him being involved in the 23, but injury permitting he will in the Summer I would think. He should therefore be released to play for ER during the 6N window which is the best of all worlds given our battle with Ulster in the run in.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum