ER v SF 12 Jan 18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: ER v SF 12 Jan 18

Postby New Gunner on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 am

Stade definitely turned up for the win, that was a tough old physical test for Edinburgh.

Turgid first half, firecracker second. Had elements of the home game against Harlequins, the best part was the ability to bounce back, going behind three times, and being able to tough out the win.

At times we defended like Scotland against Samoa, unable to repel big guys running straight at us in our 22. Kitty will be having kittens.

A delight to listen to Cockerill on the radio on the way home. We haven't achieved anything yet, but he's realistic, grounded, and passionate. The guy is desperate for these players to succeed and determined to ensure that they do.

Onwards and upwards.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:19 am

New Gunner wrote:
A delight to listen to Cockerill on the radio on the way home. We haven't achieved anything yet, but he's realistic, grounded, and passionate. The guy is desperate for these players to succeed and determined to ensure that they do.

I love how he's bought into the whole thing, moving his family here, his kids are at school, he stands in front of any of the players re the media, he has bought into Edinburgh Rugby, full on.

I hope we deserve his comitment, I think the signs are that we do
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:43 am

Sutherland hirpling off was a worry.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:13 am

That was eventful.

Thought Fowles made a difference when he came on. SHC service still random and he’s obviously never worked on his box kicking. Great to see so many guys up for the physical competition. A very, very good win.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:18 am

Pleased with the win and the resolve to get it

BUT

Poor game by us - no variety in our game plan, frantic far too many times. We let Stade get under our skins.

Still, we won, take the learnings and move on
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:46 am

Amazing belief Cockers has instilled in the club. They always think they can win matches and we do. Winning is a habit and we're in the groove.

Didn't think it was the best performance, I am concerned Stade outmuscled us when we put out a big pack but oh well.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:47 pm

We had a big pack out but their’s seemed even bigger, they were out to achieve something in their season since the league performances have been poor?
Must agree re the comments re Cockers, on telly or radio he is very good to listen to, although his tone may be very different in the dressing room when things aren’t going well. I hope he’s going to stick around for a while.
Pitfitter

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:51 pm

A small question here, probably very off topic(definitely), at half time we stopped ends to be behind the posts we were attacking and it seemed colder/windier at the ice rink end, could this be due to the different shape of the stand at that end?
Random question from SWMBO. :?
Pitfitter

Postby biffer on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Pitfitter wrote:A small question here, probably very off topic(definitely), at half time we stopped ends to be behind the posts we were attacking and it seemed colder/windier at the ice rink end, could this be due to the different shape of the stand at that end?

It’s further north, bound to be a bit colder.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 pm

A good game to watch in parts and a good victory. The most reasuring thing is you can see a confidence growing in the team and a new gameplan coming together. Ok we made lots of mistakes, a lot of knock ons, and continue to perhaps make the wrong decisions at times but it is a big step forward from the three man pods and kick the SteveWalsh out of the ball game of Solomons.

I thought we were trying to keep the ball in play for as long as possible, go through phases, tire them out and then look for gaps or mismatches out wide for the quick feet of Bennet, Hoyland and Kinghorn to take advantage of. At times we tried too hard but at least we had the ambition to play rugby. There were a number of times we were really unlucky not to get the line break, Kinghorn coming really close in first half. Ok we struggled with the scrums and at times our defensive line looked a bit frail but we know the position of our props and Cockerill will sort out our tackling and defence.

I know it is well debated on here but SHC service was again an issue for us, too many high/low or behind the man. Also makes a number of stupid decisions, for example he tried a grubber kick in first half when we had an overlap but it went too long and no-one knew it was coming hence no chase! His box kicks were very poor too. Crisis of confidence? Trying too hard? It is a real shame seeing a guy of his potential and skill struggle with is game. Fowles made a difference when he came on.

I thought the MotM was Rasolea last night. He carried hard and got over the gain line almost every time and for a last minute replacement he had a stormer. As usual our back row were just superb and thank AlainRolland we have signed Mata for another couple of years. He is developing into a top class no8 and I think a number of clubs would have been after him.

In summary not a great performance but a gutsy one, team is beginning to grow in confidence and develop a more positive brand of rugby. Once our front row issues are resolved and we sort out the SH position then we will have pretty reasonable team.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:54 pm

'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 pm

biffer wrote:
Pitfitter wrote:A small question here, probably very off topic(definitely), at half time we stopped ends to be behind the posts we were attacking and it seemed colder/windier at the ice rink end, could this be due to the different shape of the stand at that end?

It’s further north, bound to be a bit colder.

......... and closer to the 2 ice rinks!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Thanks for the link to the highlights.

Watson and Van der Walt did well for their tries, Rasolea's was a nice bit of opportunism.

I hate to say as I'm a huge fan but Kinghorn should have done better for one of their scores, he went too high and was easily handed off.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Weegie wrote:
McCallum and Fagerson were in the same Strathallan front row. McCallum was switched to loosehead then. He is basically a tighthead. Ritchie was in the back row of the same team.

I take it Strathallan did quite well?

Until reminded by my son, I'd forgotten that Fenton was in the same front row.

They went out in the second round of the Schools Cup.
Weegie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum