Edinburgh - Leinster

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh - Leinster

Postby germain on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:57 pm

A big, crucial and interesting game at home while the scotland team is also playing at home : we could have Cochrane, amongst others, back.
What team do you expect to see ? My guess (in red, released players / in blue, injured last time out) :

Sutherland - Cochrane - Shields (Lay - Fenton - Millar-Mills)
McKenzie - Carmichael (Hunter-Hill)
Mata - Bradbury - Ritchie (Crosbie/Du Preez)
Fowles - Van Der Walt (Hidalgo-Clyne - Weir)
Van der Merwe - Burleigh - Johnstone - Fife (Dean)
Kinghorn

We could suffer at scrum time but it's a decent team.
Last edited by germain on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
germain
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh - Leinster

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Hunter-Hill picked up a knee injury playing for Newcastle, unfortunately. The talk on the OffsideLine was for Hardie to be playing and for one of Mata or Bradbury to move into the second row.
they also thought one of Bergs or McCallum would be released, but I can't see that happening, tbh, if Bergs does go in ahead of McCallum then the latter will be retained as emergency, cover, surely?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Hunter-Hill picked up a knee injury playing for Newcastle, unfortunately. The talk on the OffsideLine was for Hardie to be playing and for one of Mata or Bradbury to move into the second row.
they also thought one of Bergs or McCallum would be released, but I can't see that happening, tbh, if Bergs does go in ahead of McCallum then the latter will be retained as emergency, cover, surely?

Entirely possible that Berghan is released to get a bit of game time and use the same TH cover as last week.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Hardies's comeback is a very good news. Even if he doesn't start, he is a hell of a substitute !
I have faith in Mata for the second-row spot.
It seems Du Preez won't be back so we should see Crosbie.
Probably : Ritchie - Mata - Hardie (Bradbury - Crosbie) : that's quite a back-row !
germain
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:13 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Hunter-Hill picked up a knee injury playing for Newcastle, unfortunately. The talk on the OffsideLine was for Hardie to be playing and for one of Mata or Bradbury to move into the second row.

shame about CHH, looks to me more likely than Carmichael to cut the mustard at top level. Still, loaded with 46 type second rows and lacking 5s, bit of an issue. Had J Gray been fit we could likely have had Toolis back.
Suspect Berghan having been preferred for a couple of seasons to Welsh will go straight in to the Scotland 23 and probably start. Its a toss up whether Welsh or McCallum get released back to their club but think only one will be kept for Murrayfield stand by. We'll know soon enough

Hardie will be competing with CDP for a place in the 23. No idea why Germain thinks Cochrane will be released - cant see that happening unless Fraser Brown has made a remarkable recovery
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:32 pm

joe soap wrote:Hardie will be competing with CDP for a place in the 23. No idea why Germain thinks Cochrane will be released - cant see that happening unless Fraser Brown has made a remarkable recovery

He is the third hooker, and probably won't play. He can play for us and be easily called back with the scottish squad if needed. I'm hopeful he will be released, at least to feature on the bench.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:44 pm

germain wrote:
joe soap wrote:Hardie will be competing with CDP for a place in the 23. No idea why Germain thinks Cochrane will be released - cant see that happening unless Fraser Brown has made a remarkable recovery

He is the third hooker, and probably won't play. He can play for us and be easily called back with the scottish squad if needed. I'm hopeful he will be released, at least to feature on the bench.

Cant see myself. And a huge gamble if it happens
Edin play Friday night, Scotland play Sunday afternoon. Mad to let him risk injury, play up to 80mins less than 48 hours before Scotland play, then possibly have to start on the bench and come on at any point. No way he could be sufficiently recovered and no way you can guarantee he wold only be played for say 40mins
He could be released to warm the bench on Friday - but then he could be needed off it after 2 minutes and its as you were.
Unless they call up MacArthur instead
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:50 pm

That's the benefit of a home game, they can give him 40 mins and have the cover of Macarthur I needed.

I think Berg will go straight into the 23, possibly even start. Being suspended rather than injured means he will have been able to train full on, so not the same issue.

I really hope Kinghorn makes the bench, cant see it though.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:53 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:That's the benefit of a home game, they can give him 40 mins and have the cover of Macarthur I needed.

I think Berg will go straight into the 23, possibly even start. Being suspended rather than injured means he will have been able to train full on, so not the same issue.

I really hope Kinghorn makes the bench, cant see it though.

I'd start Berghan. His workrate around the pitch will be much higher and I think Welsh will be better suited to 20 minutes off the bench.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Given the Mark Palmer tweets, I wonder if we might see Dickinson included in the squad. Would be excellent if he was. We might be a little lightweight up front, but we'll have pretty much our first choice backs available. Leinster will also be missing quite a few players, so it could be a finely balanced game.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:30 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:That's the benefit of a home game, they can give him 40 mins and have the cover of Macarthur I needed.

assuming MacArthur is fit the same conundrum exists for Glasgow who also play on Friday evening. Cochrane was preferred last week should Scotland really knowingly risk having to settle for our 6th choice instead of 5th?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:04 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:Given the Mark Palmer tweets, I wonder if we might see Dickinson included in the squad. Would be excellent if he was. We might be a little lightweight up front, but we'll have pretty much our first choice backs available. Leinster will also be missing quite a few players, so it could be a finely balanced game.

I think / hope we might see him during the 6Ns, probably not this weekend.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Anyone got any idea when the team is confirmed for this? There will be implications with players being released from Scotland squad but I would imagine there would be a minimum period before the game is played, from the PRO14.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:46 pm

gunneria wrote:Anyone got any idea when the team is confirmed for this? There will be implications with players being released from Scotland squad but I would imagine there would be a minimum period before the game is played, from the PRO14.

PRO14 deadline is midday the day before the game (unless it's a Sunday when it's midday on the Friday).
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:44 pm

biffer wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:Given the Mark Palmer tweets, I wonder if we might see Dickinson included in the squad. Would be excellent if he was. We might be a little lightweight up front, but we'll have pretty much our first choice backs available. Leinster will also be missing quite a few players, so it could be a finely balanced game.

I think / hope we might see him during the 6Ns, probably not this weekend.

We were assured on here several months ago that Dickinson was training and looking very impressive. Let's not get too excited till there is a bit more corroboration.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum