Matt Scott

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Matt Scott

Postby disco on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:51 pm

joe soap wrote:
New Gunner wrote:I had a look for the 'ridiculous hype', 'next messiah' and 'juvenile' comments, but couldn't find them.

Gowrie:
"a backline of Kinghorn, Van der Merwe, Bennett, Scott, Graham, Hickey, SHC could be real box office"

oh and this one, recognise it?
"But if true this would be brilliant, get Scott back partnering Bennett, Hickey/Kinghorn/Hoyland around them and that's some real attacking quality."

an uncapped player who has not really established himself anywhere,who is approaching his mid 20s and hasn't pulled shirt on for Edinurgh parachuted in to the exciting box office back line; no qualification like "if he fulfills potential" or "Hickey or Van der Walt"

No, no hype there, no juvenile expectations, no sir. You guys crease me up at times

Is suggesting comments like "real box office" and "real attacking quality" are equivalent to posters saying it'll be "the most exciting backline ever" not an example of the usual juvenile over hyping?? :D
disco
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:26 pm

disco wrote:Is suggesting comments like "real box office" and "real attacking quality" are equivalent to posters saying it'll be "the most exciting backline ever" not an example of the usual juvenile over hyping?? :D

not unless you have numbers to back it up. Stick to numbers :roll:
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:56 pm

joe soap wrote:
disco wrote:Is suggesting comments like "real box office" and "real attacking quality" are equivalent to posters saying it'll be "the most exciting backline ever" not an example of the usual juvenile over hyping?? :D

WTF have you been smoking/drinking Joe?
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:40 pm

djphilp wrote:
joe soap wrote:

WTF have you been smoking/drinking Joe?

good stuff, thanks, out of this

common_sense_drinking_glass.jpg
common_sense_drinking_glass.jpg (25.94 KiB) Viewed 7326 times

which is much better than this which few have been ODing on again

hype.jpg
hype.jpg (12.4 KiB) Viewed 7326 times
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:42 pm

I never actually said bringing Hickey in would make us the most exciting backline to ever grace a rugby field

but I'm saying it now, and don't even try proving me wrong because you know deep down I'm right.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:22 am

Oh dear, Joe.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 pm

I don't think anyone is saying that a couple of good additions to the backs will turn our backline into the primus inter pares (first among equals) of the Pro 14! We all know that Edinburgh and Warriors don't have the deepest pockets for star signings and that, in our case, a good whack of the player budget is taken up by our international cast of forwards.

Cockers/Johnson are going to have to recruit backs in particular most judiciously for next season and also hope for a bit of luck with fitness and form from the new signings, which we didn't get so much from this season's new intake. The budget will not be much larger than Solomons had, so surely no one is expecting miracles.

However, we have IMO the beginnings of a wee nucleus of potentially classy, stand-out backs in Bennett, van der Merwe and Kinghorn, with some very good players around them like Fife and Johnstone. Add in Matt Scott, if we can get him, and Hickey, if he measures up, and we could have a pretty decent backs 1st XV coming together that is a step up from recent years.

While JS is right to keep feet on the ground, we have to be optimistic and I think Cockers' signings so far show that he knows what he's doing and knows what needs fixed - within the limits of a slim budget.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:24 pm

No matter how you look at it, a backline of Van Der Walt - Scott - Bennett - Van Der Merwe - Hoyland - Kinghorn is really appealing. Each one of hose players is a threat. When you also have around the likes of Hickey, Weir/Tovey, Burleigh, Dean, Johnstone, Fife, Brown and Graham, it begins to be very interesting.
So hopefully, the rumors are true.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:28 am

Really hoping we do get Scott back...

He came on again for Gloucester today as an early replacement and scored again as well.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Watched the highlights last night and thought that Matt could lose 5-10 kgs. He looked much "bigger" and "slower" than when he was an Edinburgh player. He isn't exactly small to start with.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum