Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2018/19

Postby royc on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:31 pm

germain wrote:Do you think that the financial constraints which limit our squad both in quantity (just 40 players) and quality (big salaries not resigned) are due to the SRU saving funds for the Super 6 ?
We'll see if it's Cockerill's personnal policy or not when we'll see the size of Glasgow's squad for next year.

I had understood, on fairly good authority, that the squad bill for the Pro teams was about £5.2m each. Bit surprised to read Mark Dodson saying - Offside Line interview on Super Six IIRC - that it was £4m+. Have to hope that was a misprint or that the MD was in error, it is not much more then the poor man of Wales, Dragons, or Benetton and Zebre, and substantialy less than our main Pro 14 rivals by a good margin.

We simply cannot fund our Pro teams at that minimalist level and expect them to be challenging for honours at the top end. Cockers has a big enough hill to climb anyway in reshaping the squad and I don't see how he can do it on that level of budget, anymore then Dave Rennie can at Glasgow.

Tell me it isn't true MD :cry:
royc
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Time to bring back Denton?
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 pm

macdone wrote:Time to bring back Denton?

he is going to Leicester.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:09 pm

royc wrote:I had understood, on fairly good authority, that the squad bill for the Pro teams was about £5.2m each. Bit surprised to read Mark Dodson saying - Offside Line interview on Super Six IIRC - that it was £4m+. Have to hope that was a misprint or that the MD was in error, it is not much more then the poor man of Wales, Dragons, or Benetton and Zebre, and substantialy less than our main Pro 14 rivals by a good margin.

We simply cannot fund our Pro teams at that minimalist level and expect them to be challenging for honours at the top end. Cockers has a big enough hill to climb anyway in reshaping the squad and I don't see how he can do it on that level of budget, anymore then Dave Rennie can at Glasgow.

I don't recall that quote at all. I remember when he is asked about the gap between super6/Premiership and pro teams playing wise part of his response was that when the pro teams were funded to £4-5m you couldn't expect the next level to be that close. Using ball park numbers to make a point.
Also at AGM I believe Dodson actually quoted £5.1 for Glasgow and £4.8m for Edinburgh. Might have been last season but since then TV money is up (SA teams), and gate money up (price changes and sell outs in No for 3 tests), both teams have more sponsors than ever. Oh and Dodosn isn't stupid in this respect nayway
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:19 pm

germain wrote:a 40 strong players squad is sure a small one..

around 40. It wont be less than 40 at season start unless he has someone waiting to finish in the SH before moving here. I'll guess around 41-42 to start off, then additions as and when. And as Cockerill also said, better quality (he should have added overall) which can be done as he offloads bigger earners, some already identified another couple still to come is my guess.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 pm

joe soap wrote:
royc wrote:I had understood, on fairly good authority, that the squad bill for the Pro teams was about £5.2m each. Bit surprised to read Mark Dodson saying - Offside Line interview on Super Six IIRC - that it was £4m+. Have to hope that was a misprint or that the MD was in error, it is not much more then the poor man of Wales, Dragons, or Benetton and Zebre, and substantialy less than our main Pro 14 rivals by a good margin.

I don't recall that quote at all. I remember when he is asked about the gap between super6/Premiership and pro teams playing wise part of his response was that when the pro teams were funded to £4-5m you couldn't expect the next level to be that close. Using ball park numbers to make a point.
Also at AGM I believe Dodson actually quoted £5.1 for Glasgow and £4.8m for Edinburgh. Might have been last season but since then TV money is up (SA teams), and gate money up (price changes and sell outs in No for 3 tests), both teams have more sponsors than ever. Oh and Dodosn isn't stupid in this respect nayway

Those were definitely the figures quoted at the SGM last season. He also stated "wage inflation" was 20-25% IIRC.

Following that point, at the SGM Dodson was pretty frank about the reason external funding was needed; the SRU can't continue to fund the pro game at the same rate as other. He seemed tonellude to a figure that the SRU could fund up to and then external money is a must as he was clear money can't be diverted from grass roots.

Dodson is doing a good job and like you say clearly isn't stupid.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:45 pm

On the squad for next year you do need at least 4 props each side. Both Glasgow and Edinburgh have had real problems there this year.

Dell, Sutherland, Marfo and Dicko hasn't covered us this year. Ideally you want a non international non SQ (like Rizzo) as 4th choice because it doesn't look like we'll get anyone from the academy. And better injury luck...

Same with Nel, Berghan, Bryce and McCallum we've had to bring in a few. I don't think Shields looks great but for a fourth choice TH? Could do better and worse so I'm happy enough.

Hookers - can't go into next season with Ford, Rambo and one other. You do need 4 as Ford and Cochrane are getting on and Rambo is Scotland's undoubted first pick now. Fenton works nicely there - he's young and doubt he'll be demanding big bucks.

I still am unsure of Hoyland. An international wing who isn't getting much gametime? Would surprise me if he gets extended. Wouldn't surprise me if he joins Solly getting the old team back together at Wuss ...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:46 pm

The descrepancy ciuld be what figures are being described. Total budget vs SRU contribution, obviously ticket sales, sponsorship etc may be on top of that future, which is why Glasgow have a bigger budget tha. Us.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:59 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:The descrepancy ciuld be what figures are being described. Total budget vs SRU contribution, obviously ticket sales, sponsorship etc may be on top of that future, which is why Glasgow have a bigger budget tha. Us.

Glasgow's tickets sales income would swam the difference surely, well over £1.5m at a very rough guess. Glasgow got more in recent seasons because they have been providing so many more to Scotland squads so needed more cover - that should be changing a bit as Edinburgh improve an the contributions more even; which in turn makes a 40 squad a bit daft
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:18 am

macdone wrote:Time to bring back Denton?

Leicester I believe
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 am

It was rumoured he was going there before he left us, its funny how these things come around again.

He would probably fit with their style though and the fans would love him here. Good to see he is getting back to where he was.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:28 am

Three re-signings to be announced this morning
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:54 am

One year deal for Hoyland.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:16 pm

biffer wrote:One year deal for Hoyland.

And two years for Duhan.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Three year deal for Kinghorn. Nice one.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum