Ulster - Edinburgh (16/02/2018)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Ulster - Edinburgh (16/02/2018)

Postby germain on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Quite the game ! One of the defining game of the season, with a lot of pressure. It's really exciting.

We already know that we'll be without Kinghorn and Burleigh (see Cockerill about Weir's return).
I still hope we'll have Cochrane and maybe McCallum but I doubt any of the expected 23 scotland squad players will be available. So we'll probably also have to do without McInally, Berghan, Gilchrist, Toolis and Watson.

I expect mostly the same team than against Leinster, with Weir on the bench instead of Rasolea or Bryce. We can only hope our bench will again make the difference if we're still in the game in the last quarter.
But to be honest, I'm not sure we're capable of winning there. Leisnter B team dominated us at home even though we won it in the end, but this will mostly an Ulster A team against an Edinburgh side weakened by the absence of 6 key players. It's a very huge task which is in front of us.
germain
World Cup Star

Re: Ulster - Edinburgh (16/02/2018)

Postby Oldsalt on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Ulster have lost Piutau, Reidy and another player whose name I've forgotten for Friday's match, all injured last weekend. Piutau in particular has been playing really well for them. If we have the same attitude as Friday night then there is a real chance to put some pressure on Ulster. Just hope we don't have similar injury problems.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:52 pm

Winning at Ravenhill (or whatever it's called these days) is a tough ask at any time, but with the players we are missing it looks unlikely. You never know, but I doubt many bookies will have us as favourites, and an LBP would be a decent result. I just hope we put on a decent performance, and show that we deserve to be competing for the play-offs.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Winning at Ravenhill (or whatever it's called these days) is a tough ask at any time, but with the players we are missing it looks unlikely. You never know, but I doubt many bookies will have us as favourites, and an LBP would be a decent result. I just hope we put on a decent performance, and show that we deserve to be competing for the play-offs.

I do agree. Cockerill quite positive and optimistic on the official website. Our group has a bit of steel and of balls. When I guess we'll see after the game if he was right :D .

But he is right in :
- saying we can be well beaten if we're not at our best.
- saying that we can stay in the battle if we're at our best.
- saying it's not over if we lose there.

Ulster will feel that if they beat us, the play-offs will be in their pockets : they will give all. It will be fascinating.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:15 pm

So, Ulster are without Best, Herring, Henderson, Stockdale, Payne, Piutau, Reidy, Lyttle and Coetzee.

Trimble, Nelson and Bowe likely to be available, all returning from injury.

We're likely to be without Ford, McInally, Nel, Berghan, Dickinson, Marfo, Dell, Toolis, Gilchrist, Watson & Tovey. Not sure who else in on the injury list. I'm imagining that given they were made available last week, Cochrane, McCallum, Bradbury etc will be available.

I'm guessing

Sutherland, Fenton, McCallum, MacKenzie, Carmichael, Ritchie, Mata, Hardie
Fowles, van der Walt, van der Merwe, Dean, Bennett, Hoyland, Fife

Lay, Cochrane, Shields, Bradbury, du Preez, SHC, Weir, Graham
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Wonder if we might get Kinghorn released for game time given he didn't feature in the France game and wonder whether they may go with experience on bench for England?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Wottie wrote:Wonder if we might get Kinghorn released for game time given he didn't feature in the France game and wonder whether they may go with experience on bench for England?

Given what Cockerill said about Weir being recalled from Worcester because we're not getting Kinghorn released for the weekend, I'd say no.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:37 pm

biffer wrote:
Wottie wrote:Wonder if we might get Kinghorn released for game time given he didn't feature in the France game and wonder whether they may go with experience on bench for England?

Given what Cockerill said about Weir being recalled from Worcester because we're not getting Kinghorn released for the weekend, I'd say no.

.... or it's Eddie Jones type mind games to throw off the bog trotters! :?
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Too early for either Dickinson or Nel? I thought that Nel was an outside bet for England game so he would need some game time before then. Having either or both on bench would be a real bonus.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Hoyland had a plastic medical boot on his leg last Friday, so I doubt he'll be playing.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:21 pm

Lay - Cochrane - McCallum
McKenzie (c) - Carmichael
Mata - Du Preez - Hardie

SHC - VDW
VDM - Dean - Bennet - Harries
Fife

Fenton, Sutherland, Millar-Mills, Bradbury, Crosbie, Fowles, Weir, Bryce
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:25 pm

deleted

*shakes fist at Zt*
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Them

look strong in the backs at least

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/ ... 8642504704
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Mata, DuPreez, Hardie, Crosbie, Bradbury, Carmichael...quite an abrasive selection of forwards perhaps Ulster 9 &10 in for some tackle practice
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Mata, DuPreez, Hardie, Crosbie, Bradbury, Carmichael...quite an abrasive selection of forwards perhaps Ulster 9 &10 in for some tackle practice

Tackle practice 'aint going to be any easier out on the wings either is it? Two big lumps there for this one.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum