Edinburgh and Ulster Remaining Fixtures

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh and Ulster Remaining Fixtures

Postby biffer on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:29 pm

Glenn Bryce and Darcy Graham off to the Commonwealth Games.

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/03 ... alth-games

Games take place on 14th/15th April which is the European semifinal weekend, so they'll be unavailable. Not that I'm expecting us to win an away semi in France anyway. Probably unavailable the previous weekend as well for training / travel?

Glasgow might have a gripe though - their game v Connacht is on that weeked and they'll be missing Matt Fagerson, George Horne, Ruaridh Jackson and Lee Jones. Cue much griping about SRU bias again.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:52 pm

biffer wrote:Cue much griping about SRU bias again.

Clearly orchestrated by D4 to help Connacht.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:56 pm

If we beat Munster tomorrow night Glasgow will be very nearly guaranteed top spot in their conference already!
And the Euro semis are in fact the w/e of 20/22nd April.Glasgow are playing Ulster away on Friday 20th April.I imagine by then far more important for Edinburgh that Glasgow win that fixture so we may be much more concerned about likely absences from their squad than Glasgow will be.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:22 pm

liveinhope wrote:If we beat Munster tomorrow night Glasgow will be very nearly guaranteed top spot in their conference already!
And the Euro semis are in fact the w/e of 20/22nd April.Glasgow are playing Ulster away on Friday 20th April.I imagine by then far more important for Edinburgh that Glasgow win that fixture so we may be much more concerned about likely absences from their squad than Glasgow will be.

Right enough. So we’re missing them for the Scarlets game.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:35 pm

liveinhope wrote:If we beat Munster tomorrow night Glasgow will be very nearly guaranteed top spot in their conference already!

Limited impact given once Glasgow's Test players get 2 weeks off after the 6 Nations they'll be available for all the remaining games with no rest protocols impacting match weekends.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:05 pm

If Edinburgh win away at Connacht and Ulster lose at Cardiff Blues in round 19 then Edinburgh would have the chance to seal their place in the playoffs by beating Ulster at Murrayfield in round 20.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:56 pm

disco wrote:If Edinburgh win away at Connacht and Ulster lose at Cardiff Blues in round 19 then Edinburgh would have the chance to seal their place in the playoffs by beating Ulster at Murrayfield in round 20.

That's the aim right there. And the primary reason to stuff Connacht.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Edinburgh have a very tough-but exciting-series of fixtures coming up,with the possibility of a few more if progress is made in either or both of the Pro 14 and Europe.
With that in mind just wondered if anyone had any update on some of our long term injuries amongst the backs-in particular Brown,Hoyland,Burleigh and Tovey? Fairly sure some (possibly all) of these haven't played at all in 2018.
With such a hard schedule-and Bryce and Graham released for 7's and likely missing 3 if not 4 weekends,we are going to need a few bodies back to help spread the load especially if (hopefully) we advance in both competitions.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:21 pm

liveinhope wrote:Edinburgh have a very tough-but exciting-series of fixtures coming up,with the possibility of a few more if progress is made in either or both of the Pro 14 and Europe.
With that in mind just wondered if anyone had any update on some of our long term injuries amongst the backs-in particular Brown,Hoyland,Burleigh and Tovey? Fairly sure some (possibly all) of these haven't played at all in 2018.
With such a hard schedule-and Bryce and Graham released for 7's and likely missing 3 if not 4 weekends,we are going to need a few bodies back to help spread the load especially if (hopefully) we advance in both competitions.

Tom Brown tweeted at the weekend that he was officially off the injured list. Tovey was with him at the pre-match interviews in the President's Suite, but didn't catch his comments. Allan Dell played for Hawick at the weekend, as did Darcy Graham (I assume, there was a Graham at 15 anyway). No word on Hoyland or Burleigh.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am

So the remaining fixtures are now

WE of 23 Mar
Connacht v ER
Cardiff v Ulster
Munster v Scarlets

WE 6/7 Apr
ER v Ulster
Scarlets v Glasgow

WE 13/14 Apr
ER v Scarlets
Ulster v Ospreys

20 Apr
Ulster v Glasgow

27 Apr
ER v GW
Munster v Ulster
Dragons v Scarlets

All of our games are both winnable and losable, Ulster and Scarlets probably both have it slightly tougher, but would equally think they can win most of their games. Scarlets are a different side with their internationals back, they suffer badly in the six nations. Having said that so are Munster, but they I doubt either side will have their full squad back this weekend. It’s in our own hands frankly, a win in Connacht puts us into a cracking position.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:06 pm

New Gunner wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Edinburgh have a very tough-but exciting-series of fixtures coming up,with the possibility of a few more if progress is made in either or both of the Pro 14 and Europe.

Tom Brown tweeted at the weekend that he was officially off the injured list. Tovey was with him at the pre-match interviews in the President's Suite, but didn't catch his comments. Allan Dell played for Hawick at the weekend, as did Darcy Graham (I assume, there was a Graham at 15 anyway). No word on Hoyland or Burleigh.

Thanks,that's good to hear about Tom Brown.It would be great to have him back as an alternative to Harries though I expect he'll need a club game or two (if any are still left?) to get up to speed given he must have been on the injured list for some 3/4 months. Hopefully Hoyland soon too as VDM will need a break at some stage no doubt.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:09 pm

Hopefully Fife can move back to wing with Kinghorn back too. Harries just looks out of his depth, I would give Johnstone a run on the wing, he can play there I'm sure.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:03 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Hopefully Fife can move back to wing with Kinghorn back too. Harries just looks out of his depth, I would give Johnstone a run on the wing, he can play there I'm sure.

I still think Bryce has a lot to offer the Club covering FB, Wing and Outside Centre. I hope he is retained out of the 6 left out of contract at the end of this season that have not been subject to any announcement. His recent form for the Sevens side would suggest he is worth another contract even if he has failed to live up to the potential he showed in his final season at Glasgow. As others have said Cochrane continues to be a great servant, but at 34 going on 35, he may have other plans off the field now I guess?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:54 pm

7s contract?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star