Edinburgh v Scarlets 14 Apr 18, KO 15:15, TV: Sky Sports

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Scarlets 14 Apr 18, KO 15:15, TV: Sky Sports

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:43 am

Team announced at midday, think we will see a few changes. Up front maybe Crosbie at 7 (not sure if Hardie is fit?) and would possibly have DuPreez start as well as he hits breakdowns a bit more than Mata/Bradbury although both are playing well we need to protect and retain the ball better.

In the backs is Johnstone fit? I think VDW, Dean, Johnstone has been our best midfield combination across the season certainly defensively and JJ one of our more dangerous runners. Would like to see Kennedy get a start as well.

Think we have it in the team to get a win but got to get the intensity and aggression back that we had through the 6N period
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 14 Apr 18, KO 15:15, TV: Sky Sports

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Lay, Rambo, Bergs, Toolis, Gilcho, Bradbury, Ritchie, CdP
SHC, VdW, VdM, Dean, Johnson, Fife, Kinghorn

Cochrane, Dell, McCallum, Carmichael, Crosbie, Fowles, Weir, Bennett

Some interesting calls, good to see Dell back
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:16 pm

Cockerill does not seem keen on Sutherland and Kennedy both struggle to make squads when others fit.

Is Marfo injured again?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:29 pm

No sign of Ford either. Good to see Dell back and hopefully VdW-Dean-Johnston will make good use of better ball
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Much changed Scarlets side - No Halfpenny, Scott Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans, Patchell, Gareth Davies, Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Samson Lee, Tadgh Beirne, Shingler, Barclay or James Davies. Lots of young bucks looking to make a mark though.

http://www.scarlets.wales/en/news/artic ... edinburgh/
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:18 pm

biffer wrote:Much changed Scarlets side - No Halfpenny, Scott Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans, Patchell, Gareth Davies, Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Samson Lee, Tadgh Beirne, Shingler, Barclay or James Davies. Lots of young bucks looking to make a mark though.

http://www.scarlets.wales/en/news/artic ... edinburgh/

still a surprisingly decent looking starting pack given who they have left out. Good half backs and full back, rest.....Varndell is a shadow of the defensivley weak player he always was, need to attack or kick to his wing every chance, Conbeer is small and electric, don't really want to kick to him.

Make or break, weak Scarlets side no excuses, in their own hands etc, so no pressure. we'll see what they are made of
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Normally avoid saying things like this at all costs, but we should really be winning this (and winning it well) given the respective team strengths. Will be hugely disappointing if we can't take 4, or even 5, points from this.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Currently in Madeira and searching for a pub that’ll show the game, they all seem to be showing bloody football, massive mistake with the diary when booking a holiday, I still blame the wife. :roll:
A win is a must, first home game I won’t be at in years and had to be this important.
Pitfitter

Postby liveinhope on Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:32 pm

If you're in Funchal try Moynahan's an irish bar-they'll put it on as have five screens.Watched the Glasgow/Scarlets match there last weekend.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Straight talking as always from Cockerill

https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-scarlets/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:40 pm

liveinhope wrote:If you're in Funchal try Moynahan's an irish bar-they'll put it on as have five screens.Watched the Glasgow/Scarlets match there last weekend.

Cheers, just 20 minuteswalk in the newer part of Funchal, got a flyer for that pub someplace.
Pitfitter

Postby liveinhope on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:47 am

Good-its at the west end of Funchal ten mins walk from the main promenade. All Sky and no problem getting the rugby as Irish owners and well versed in rugby (and of course wouldn't have got the Glasgow game there last night as it was on Alba!) Enjoy.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:08 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Straight talking as always from Cockerill

https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-scarlets/

not as clear and coherent as usual for me.
"don’t perform for two, three or four weeks, then at some point if there are other players to pick they will drop out of the side, whether that is team to bench or out of the 23."

is absolutely right. So for example Nel, Bennett dropped, fair enough, big name doesn't get you picked. Burleigh - not sure. But Weir? He has bailed them out prior few games, seems harsh when VDWalt has been poor regularly.

Anyways, big big game, not a gimme despite the changes Scarlets have made. Real test of their mental strength
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Huge game.Must get 5 points.That would still leave us only 9 points ahead and Ulster have two fixtures following aginst sides already qualified so likely to lack motivation (and possibly not at full strength as a result) and quite possible they could get two 5 point BP victories.
So either we would still need one point from the Glasgow fixture or Ulster failing to get a try BP in either of their final fixtures (hopefully Glasgow can help us out next Saturday!)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:46 pm

So, when was the last time we scored 4 tries in 23 minutes?! Awesome stuff!
Rico
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum