The Myreside Trial

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: The Myreside Trial

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat May 05, 2018 8:49 pm

We want to thank you for your support throughout this record-breaking season.

After this evening’s defeat to Munster in the Guinness PRO14 Final Series at Thomond Park, our season may be over, but it’s been one full of highlights.

Some of the key achievements by Richard Cockerill and his team include:
Qualifying for the Guinness PRO14 Final Series for the first time in history
Achieving a record number of league wins (15)
Completing a Grand Slam over the four Irish provinces
Winning the 1872 Cup with two home wins over Glasgow
Most importantly… qualifying for the 2018/19 Champions Cup
We also broke the attendance record for the 1872 Cup twice this year thanks to your incredible support
With the 1872 Cup back in the capital, and a spot in next season's European Champions Cup secured, we can all look to the future with great anticipation.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another exhilarating season in 2018/19 which will herald some major developments off the field as well as on it.

Keep an eye on your inboxes, and stay tuned to our website and social media channels, for some landmark announcements which we will share with you as we put the foundations in place for yet another thrilling chapter in the future of the club.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat May 05, 2018 8:49 pm

bit cryptic

Keep an eye on your inboxes, and stay tuned to our website and social media channels, for some landmark announcements which we will share with you as we put the foundations in place for yet another thrilling chapter in the future of the club

Part of me thinks that if we are going to be playing that type of rugby and winning more matches then the stadium issue goes away. Just play at Murrayfield and it will be fine, use the money saved to strengthen the squad.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sat May 05, 2018 9:52 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:bit cryptic

Keep an eye on your inboxes, and stay tuned to our website and social media channels, for some landmark announcements which we will share with you as we put the foundations in place for yet another thrilling chapter in the future of the club

Part of me thinks that if we are going to be playing that type of rugby and winning more matches then the stadium issue goes away. Just play at Murrayfield and it will be fine, use the money saved to strengthen the squad.

I wouldn't think that is an option for one minute. Dodson already told us at the SGM that the SRU can't put any larger proportion of its income into the Pro teams without starving some other part of the game, hence the search for private investors. I think that was a clear flat no from the SRU to increasing Pro budgets.

The drivers for this mini-Murrayfield I would guess are (a) the artificial pitch on the back pitches is at the end of its life and needs replaced, it went in IIRC in 2009 or 2010, so eight years ago, and they don't tend to last that long, (b) as it will likely need replaced, why not kill two birds with one stone and use it for a temporary Edinburgh stadium? That would go under a different heading in the accounts, Facilities or something, rather than 'International & Pro rugby', so the Pro team budgets would remain unchanged.

I'm not saying that an artificial surface will miraculously appear next season, just that it could well be on the cards for the following season. Whichever, I'd think the one option we won't have is to take the money rather than the pitch, it will be the SRU's international training pitch being used by Edinburgh!
royc
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum