Season Ticket Launch Party

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Season Ticket Launch Party

Postby biffer on Fri May 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Invite came through today. Early, which is a good sign imo. Hopefully they'll let us know some detail around the plans for next season.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: Season Ticket Launch Party

Postby GaryIPA on Fri May 18, 2018 8:40 pm

biffer wrote:Invite came through today. Early, which is a good sign imo. Hopefully they'll let us know some detail around the plans for next season.

Win games
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:46 pm

Edinburgh Rugby have informed the Supporters Club that they will still accept registration for this event if supporters send an email with their name and name of any guest to: info@edinburghrugby.org

This is subject to numbers being within the licenced capacity of the Thistle Suite.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby BeardofScottishRugby on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Got my invite yesterday
BeardofScottishRugby
Embra Debut

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Anyone attend, anything of interest to report?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Anyone attend, anything of interest to report?

Thought it was a good event, Cockers (as you would expect) spoke very well, JP pretty good too. Had a long Q&A with the aforementioned plus Barclay, Matt Scott and Chris Dean.

Cockers confirmed he's still after a scrum half and will do what he can to bring one in, but only if better than what he's got. He said if he was to place a bet on whether he'd get one he said yes, or words to that effect. Mentioned one of the Weegies was still a possibility.

Minifield will have 5,800 seats plus 2,000 standing terracing places (at the front of the west, east and south stands), which I think was impressive and will help the atmosphere. The north stand will be the 'main' stand and all seated (adjacent to the line of trees bordering the Saughtonhall Car Park.

Only downside for me were some fairly embarrassing questions like 'we don't know what to sing, can you tell us what to sing?' FFS. If they get the team winning, playing well and put us in a decent ground surely as a collective we can take the responsibility to have a couple of beers, get over ourselves and make some noise to support the team? They deserve it.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:54 pm

New Gunner wrote:

Only downside for me were some fairly embarrassing questions like 'we don't know what to sing, can you tell us what to sing?' FFS. If they get the team winning, playing well and put us in a decent ground surely as a collective we can take the responsibility to have a couple of beers, get over ourselves and make some noise to support the team? They deserve it.

Got to agree with this entirely, we only got so many questions and at least two of them were "what can we sing/chant"

Madness.
EWT spoons
International

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:02 pm

Clearly the Saughton ultras

Hopefully the start of better things
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 pm

EWT spoons wrote:
New Gunner wrote:

Got to agree with this entirely, we only got so many questions and at least two of them were "what can we sing/chant"

Madness.

I know. Massive cringe about that. Just make noise, it doesn’t matter what.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:38 am

That was awful, though I did think of suggesting 'You'll have had your tea'
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:30 am

björk - it's oh so quiet

Thanks for notes people
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:00 am

Cockerill had a few jibes at Glasgow which he admitted were for cheap laughs, but he did say it was time for the SRU to invest at this end of the M8. I'd be interested to know the difference over the years.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 am

Did Dodson not admit in the past they had not invested as much in Edinburgh for a few years, if I recall the figures were around 300K-500K per season difference as they looked to sustain Glasgows challenge? Given the coaching and culture at Edinburgh over the period I am not convinced equal budgets would have made much difference to our on field results.

Stadium investment aside, I suspect we will be operating on similar budgets these days, Glasgow perhaps a bit more given they are selling out Scotstoun most weeks but I would imagine they have higher wage costs due to their success and number of internationals so it maybe just feels like we have more cash to spend on our squad as we continue the rebuild under Cockerill.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:54 am

The suggestion is that both teams receive the same "grant" as it were from the SRU but keep their own ticket receipts/prize money, although it waa topped up a bit for Glasgow due to needing a bigger squad to cover intenrationals. So it stands to reason Glasgow will get more, although apparently the corporate income for Edinburgh is a lot higher than Glasgow. It would be hard to argue against Glasgow getting a bit more from the general pot, they have been performing and pulling their weight, Edinburgh, until recently as you suggest have not and would not have given value anyway.

Interesting that both JP and Cockers were full of praise for the Murrayfield hierarchy, now I'm sure I will be told that they would say that as it is their employer, but I'm not sure they would "we are here to talk about Edinburgh" would have been a resoanble response but they chose actively back them. Particulalry Cockers I don't think is prone to blowing smoke. Unless he has been promised Ali Price is he tows the line!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:58 am

I got the impression from JP's response to the final question of the evening (which was around the Supporter's Club assisting with reaching out to local clubs to attempt to grow the support), that the Club are not envisaging much, if any, formal engagement with the Supporter's Club as is. I took it that the focus will be on the new Supporter's Forum drawn from a wider stakeholder base for this going forward. I don't have a dog in this particular fight as not involved with the SC beyond being auto-enrolled as a member through the season ticket, but I found that a bit strange given it's already there and properly constituted! Did I misread the situation, or did others in attendance form a similar view?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum