Season Ticket Launch Party

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Season Ticket Launch Party

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:36 am

Totally agree gunneria.

Outside of the 1872 when was the last time we even had a crowd greater than the capacity of the proposed new stadium maybe the Dragons SF which was 8k-9k so only a few hundred more?

Appreciate the short term monetary gain of moving into Murrayfield but selling an extra 2k, 3k, 4k STs is a much more sustainable and reliable income stream.

EDIT: Of course we need to deliver this season and be in the Champions Cup 2019/20 first.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:28 am

All good points,

Creating a scarcity of tickets is also an important part of this. We wont build loyalty if you can cherry pick the big games and have no worries about getting a ticket. It will also de-value the new ground if big games aren't played there. It will create some momentum if we win some big games there. Also hopefully it will add to the atmosphere, once we have instructions on what to sing obviously!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:30 am

I would like to think we will only move to BTM for the 1872 home games and, optimistically, knockout champions cup matches, but only where a crowd of 15k+ is expected. For less than that I would expect us to stay at Minifield.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Clearly Cockerill has an issue with playing the hoe leg of the 1872 at Murrayfield from his comments when Edinburgh were still at Myreside. Roughly similar to what has been said, by going to Murrayfield we lose the crowd intimidation factor so lose much of home advantage.

It should be easier to sell Murrayfield as a neutral venue for Silver Saturday if that is the only time it is used for club matches, and the Glasgow and Edinburgh home games are mirror images with ticket supplies for away fans severely restricted at both.

But with finances the way they are, you can see why the SRU wants another roughly 15k fans through the gate.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:10 pm

When we get our home quarter finals of the Heineken Cup we'll need a minimum capacity of 15k as per the regs of the competition, this coming season is fine, from the following season we'll need to move back to the big hoose, unless we can extend the capacity for those games.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:23 pm

I cant see money being spent to add temporary capacity to Minifield when Murrayfield is right there to use.

If we ever get to selling out Minifield every match then I can see extra capacity being added on a more permanent basis but not for a couple of matches a season.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:35 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I cant see money being spent to add temporary capacity to Minifield when Murrayfield is right there to use.

If we ever get to selling out Minifield every match then I can see extra capacity being added on a more permanent basis but not for a couple of matches a season.

Completely agree.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:57 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I cant see money being spent to add temporary capacity to Minifield when Murrayfield is right there to use.

Yeah, if the demand was ther to take it up to 12k and sell out regularly, you could go that high. But that is a loooooong way away.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:06 pm

okay, so we'll just have to get more through the gates at Murrayfield for our next big cup quarter final than the last one
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Tichtheid wrote:okay, so we'll just have to get more through the gates at Murrayfield for our next big cup quarter final than the last one

Our last big quarter final was 37k, so that’d be lovely.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:33 pm

biffer wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:okay, so we'll just have to get more through the gates at Murrayfield for our next big cup quarter final than the last one

Our last big quarter final was 37k, so that’d be lovely.

zackly
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum