Expectations

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Expectations

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:35 am

Now we know roughly the make up of the squad for next season, a few comments on the Glasgow forum about now we are getting half of their budget as well as our own we should be winning the league, what are the thoughts on what a good outcome would be?

My natural reaction is that we have strengthened therefore we should finish better off than last season. However given that Ulster cant be as bad again they will be competitive. Similarly Moving up a place would mean getting ahead of Scarlets and Leinster who are y the top 2 teams in the pro14 and in the top 4 in Europe. So it tempers things a little. So where is good enough?

What about Europe?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Re: Expectations

Postby Weegie on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:00 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Now we know roughly the make up of the squad for next season, a few comments on the Glasgow forum about now we are getting half of their budget as well as our own we should be winning the league, what are the thoughts on what a good outcome would be?

My natural reaction is that we have strengthened therefore we should finish better off than last season. However given that Ulster cant be as bad again they will be competitive. Similarly Moving up a place would mean getting ahead of Scarlets and Leinster who are y the top 2 teams in the pro14 and in the top 4 in Europe. So it tempers things a little. So where is good enough?

What about Europe?

I think this season is about consolidation. Last season Edinburgh perhaps exceeded expectations, but then when the pressure came on late in the season, they faded a bit. If we can continue grinding out the the same level of league performance, but perform a wee bit better up the sharp end so we can be sure the team is now consistently competitive, I think progress will have been made.

Build the foundations solidly now, so hopefully success can be built in the future rather than hoping for too much too soon. Given the opposition, showing Edinburgh can compete is all I am looking for in Europe, plus a nice couple of trips.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 am

BTW on the budget.

I was under the impression from comments made by Cockerill that he had made an explicit decision to reshape the squad as smaller but better. Releasing some 20 players was the mechanism that let him do that, not wodges of extra cash.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:12 am

Anything but a semi final is disappointing for me. Should be aiming to improve each year - I think we're good enough.

What'll be interesting is if Kinghorn gets Scotland mandated rest periods and how we deal without one of our two game changers.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:35 am

Would like to see us be competitive in the euro group not sure we will get out of it but think we may have a say in who does with a couple of home wins and scare some when away.

League - got to qualify for heine Cup again minimum, but would like to see us close the gap a bit on Scarlets and leinster. Home form was good last season so improvement would be to see us take a big win or two on the road. If we make the playoffs home or away would hope to see a step on from this year's experience.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Weegie wrote:BTW on the budget.

I was under the impression from comments made by Cockerill that he had made an explicit decision to reshape the squad as smaller but better. Releasing some 20 players was the mechanism that let him do that, not wodges of extra cash.

If you listen to some of the more swivel eyed members of the Glasgow forum, their team has been gutted so we can sign lots of new players.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:01 pm

It isn't smaller. It was never going to be smaller. Been spelled out for you and now confirmed as 47 at present. Do try to keep up.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:45 pm

Hrmm.

We won a good few games when we weren't playing particularly well, but scraped through near the end. Should we be winning those games more comfortably? The other teams aren't standing still, they will all be looking to recruit and get better.

Improvement for me would be Edinburgh using our dynamic pack to good use, getting used to front foot ball and having a scrum half who passes at the space between the fly half's waist and shoulders, a bit less than arms length in front of him as he gets up to speed.
Then have centres who set up good ball and let a game-breaking back three take care of business.

I want to go to Belfast, Dublin and Cork and win, not a sponny win, a righteous, blood and snotters hard fought tooth and nail win, every time.

I want us to play like it matters, every single minute of the season.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:29 pm

Hodge's re-signing tempers a bit my expectations.
I expect us to do a bit better than this year. Top 6 is still the minimum target even if I really think we can do better with quite a strong squad. A top 4, to host the play-offs will satisfy me and it seems much more achievable than this year. Top 2 would be a great achievement.
In Europe, our pool is really a tough one. I can't ask more than to be in the fight in every game.
Last edited by germain on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:32 pm

Qualification for the Heineken again and win two euro games. That's the minimum for me.

Think we can do better though - win three euro games and a home playoff in the league would be fantastic. Ulster still look like a basketcase so all entirely possible. Don't think Scarlets appreciate quite how much they'll miss Barclay.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:49 am

This season, I’d be happy if we qualify for the Heineken cup again. If we keep getting into that group of clubs on merit then it’ll help bring on the development of players and make us a more attractive proposition to potential signings.

In terms of Europe, we got a tough draw, but I think we should be able to get at least a couple of home wins, I don’t see us making much of a mark this year, but this is the first time a number of our players will have competed in the tournament, so will help their development and put them in a better positon for next year.

Oh and Cockers has said (repeatedly, and reiterated it again at the supporters event a couple of weeks ago) that he opted to go for a smaller squad, which is boosted by academy players. I get there are lists that show we have quite a big squad, but I assume he had the option of getting more players in, but decided against it, in favour of higher quality.
EWT spoons
International

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:15 am

biffer wrote:

If you listen to some of the more swivel eyed members of the Glasgow forum, their team has been gutted so we can sign lots of new players.

Pivac expected to be announced as next Wales coach today too. Not easy for players once they know a coach is leaving. Even if they still need to impress him to get caps. Glasgow dipped once they knew GT was away. They are losing Beirne, so 2 of their most influential forwards, sure they will replace them though. Also noticed Scott Williams going.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:24 pm

EWT spoons wrote:This season, I’d be happy if we qualify for the Heineken cup again. If we keep getting into that group of clubs on merit then it’ll help bring on the development of players and make us a more attractive proposition to potential signings.

In terms of Europe, we got a tough draw, but I think we should be able to get at least a couple of home wins, I don’t see us making much of a mark this year, but this is the first time a number of our players will have competed in the tournament, so will help their development and put them in a better positon for next year.

Oh and Cockers has said (repeatedly, and reiterated it again at the supporters event a couple of weeks ago) that he opted to go for a smaller squad, which is boosted by academy players. I get there are lists that show we have quite a big squad, but I assume he had the option of getting more players in, but decided against it, in favour of higher quality.

Our squad of 47 includes 4 academy signings for 18/19 - Baggott, Taylor, Shiel and McLelland. There are, I think, 5 more that were academy signings for 17/18 being Hunter-Hill, Crosbie, Fenton, Graham and Miller. Most, if not all, of those got their pro deal under Cockerill.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Year 2 of Cockerill's squad development and I still think we shouldn't expect too much from the squad at this stage. It will take a bit of time for our new 9-10 axis to bed in and also for our new centre partnerships to develop accordingly. We certainly have a far better balanced squad than in previous years, and have far more depth in our backs than we have had for the last 5-6 years. The loss of Barclay not just from the team but from the training paddock is a big blow for the first 6 months of the year. However I expect bigger things from Bradbury, Big Bill and hope to see Crosbie getting fit and playing more this season.We still have a relatively young squad and I expect to see them come on leaps and bounds this year. All in all a very positive outlook but I suspect a few steps back as well as a even more steps forward. Exciting squad of players and with a top class coaching team, including Roddy and Stokes, I expect us to continue to develop and have a real edge and aggression about us. Might buy a season ticket again!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:59 pm

doedin wrote:Might buy a season ticket again!

Oh dear, doedin must have sunstroke! :lol: Don't dilly dally or there will be nae seats left!
Good point about Crosbie. I forgot he didn't go full pro until December so will be the bigger, better and fitter from doing a full pre-season with the big boys. Hope he can do it without losing a yard of pace.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum