Edinburgh v Connacht 14 Sep 19:35 (Premier Sports 1)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Connacht 14 Sep 19:35 (Premier Sports 1)

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:47 pm

First home game of the season, hopefully we get to see a big performance and decent win.

From various reports it looks like Bradbury, Watson and VDM should be available for this one. Mata a doubt though and Bennett unfortunately looks to be out for the season now.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Connacht 14 Sep 19:35 (Premier Sports 1)

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:32 am

Awful news about Bennett's injury, but it raises a question. I like JJ and he's done well we he has come on, but it might be an opportunity to try Socino at 12, or maybe Christine and move Scott out to 13 for this game.
Bergs has slipped back a bit, WP and McCallum are the form guys at tighthead, Fordy really has to show us something this week.

Maybe we'll see some changes but it really is a must-win game after two late disappointments
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:17 am

Could Bennett's injury prove to be an opening for Bryce to come into the fold for the season? I'm still not convinced we have enough cover in the back three and he is an excellent utility outside back. FIngers crossed for Mata to be fit. He's the sort of guy we need when hunting down a 5 pointer at home to get the season underway for us.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:25 am

Sorry if I've missed something but is there anything official yet on Bennett's scan?
Cockerill indicated he was out for"the rest of the year" at least but some posters now suggest he is out for the rest of the season but no evidence backing this up on the official Edinburgh website.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:48 am

liveinhope wrote:Sorry if I've missed something but is there anything official yet on Bennett's scan?
Cockerill indicated he was out for"the rest of the year" at least but some posters now suggest he is out for the rest of the season but no evidence backing this up on the official Edinburgh website.

Reports of ruptured hamstring and season over as a result. As you say nothing official on the club's site but that's nothing new in this day and age where social media always gets there 1st
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:53 am

liveinhope wrote:Sorry if I've missed something but is there anything official yet on Bennett's scan?

I don't think there's been an official update, but I don't think it'll be the whole season. Dave Denton's hamstring tore and detached from the bone requiring surgery - about as severe as the injury gets. He did that at the start of the 2016 season with Bath and was back playing 4 months later Jan/Feb, so i don't see how Bennet could be any worse.
STKS
International

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:56 am

STKS wrote:

I don't think there's been an official update, but I don't think it'll be the whole season. Dave Denton's hamstring tore and detached from the bone requiring surgery - about as severe as the injury gets. He did that at the start of the 2016 season with Bath and was back playing 4 months later Jan/Feb, so i don't see how Bennet could be any worse.

I guess it depends on many things including miles on the clock, the same injury as Dents' ended Paul O'Connell's career

I would be good if Bennett could be back before the start of the 6N, even if he didn't make the Scotland squad for that it would give him a chance to make Japan, and help our second half of the season
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:15 pm

I think someone either misunderstood or has jumped to a wrong conclusion. He is expected to be out for months, or the rest of this year (ie 2018) - not the rest of the season. BBC reporting likely to miss the Autumn tests, so could easily make the 6N if selected
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I guess it depends on many things including miles on the clock, the same injury as Dents' ended Paul O'Connell's career

to be fair O'Connell was 136 years old at the time, Dents did his tripping over his own hair
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:26 pm

joe soap wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I guess it depends on many things including miles on the clock, the same injury as Dents' ended Paul O'Connell's career

to be fair O'Connell was 136 years old at the time, Dents did his tripping over his own hair

Fair point, well made
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:48 pm

I saw the Bennett news on Scrum I think they were originally just reporting the Cockerill line and then updated the intro with the following a day later.

"...for what was suspected to be a significant hamstring injury at the time and now has been revealed as a fully ruptured hamstring, which will end his season."

https://scrummagazine.com/edinburgh-and ... sidelines/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Awful news about Bennett's injury, but it raises a question. I like JJ and he's done well we he has come on, but it might be an opportunity to try Socino at 12, or maybe Christine and move Scott out to 13 for this game.
Bergs has slipped back a bit, WP and McCallum are the form guys at tighthead, Fordy really has to show us something this week.

Maybe we'll see some changes but it really is a must-win game after two late disappointments

Hopefully not, Glenn Bryce did nothing in two years for Edinburgh.

JJ, Dean, Socino, Scott, Taylor can cover it.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Awful news about Bennett's injury, but it raises a question. I like JJ and he's done well we he has come on, but it might be an opportunity to try Socino at 12, or maybe Christine and move Scott out to 13 for this game.

Who mentioned Glenn Bryce?
EWT spoons
International

Postby Frenchy on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:

https://youtu.be/wwrpSSLDgMw?t=130
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:48 pm

EWT spoons wrote:Who mentioned Glenn Bryce?

I did. Yeah Frenchy, that wasn't great was it! Having said all that, Ollie Atkins did nothing when he was here and he's starting for Exeter Chiefs this season :eek:
Wottie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum