Edinburgh v Connacht 14 Sep 19:35 (Premier Sports 1)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Connacht 14 Sep 19:35 (Premier Sports 1)

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:47 pm

A point dropped rather than four points won, and I veer towards the "happy clappy" side of things

We need to put sides to the sword with that much dominance

Bradbury looked good on his return, as did VDW. Plus marks for Scott, Watson (as per), Front Row as a unit, Ritchie is blimmin brilliant.

We need to score more, I know how facile that sounds, but it is the case.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:00 pm

Some positives

A win
Mcinally and Ritchies work rates are unbelievable.
VDW I agree looked good competition with hickey looks to have pushed him on.

But
Error count as per ospreys was awful
Line out failed at key attacking moments.
I am no attack coach but to me alot of our attack structure looked wrong, appeared to go wide too early. We were dominant up front but looked to try and win it in the backs without 'earning' the right as they say.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Thoughts on the Connacht yellow card?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Frenchy wrote:Thoughts on the Connacht yellow card?

Did not show actual incident on big screen but so many pens against one was inevitable I thought could have had another as well
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Both of their props should have been binned early on for their "scrummaging" and there are far too many cynical penalties that get ignored close to the line - there was a stone cold card for a Connacht player that wasn't given because we scored our second try, I think a card in that situation should be given.

It's all very well praising a defence, but when they are really under the pump and fouling repeatedly they should be told to sit down for ten minutes, the card was only one of about five that would have been warranted.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:33 pm

Another aspect perhaps, as Cockerill has said, teams approach us with more respect and come to nullify our attack rather than beat us, think there was an element of that tonight but we have to improve our cutting edge to progress, there are a number of teams we may beat on the strength of our forwards alone but to challenge at the top we need to be converting chances and have more of a plan than get it to Kinghorn or VDM.

Edit: Cockerill not happy with ref

https://theoffsideline.com/cockerill-sl ... first-win/

5200+ decent improvement on numbers hopefully keep coming back and witness better matches!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 pm

Slightly marginal but if he didn't slap Henry's arms it wasn't because he wasn't trying.

They could have had at least one more card for persistent infringements though.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Tichtheid wrote:A point dropped rather than four points won, and I veer towards the "happy clappy" side of things

We need to put sides to the sword with that much dominance

Bradbury looked good on his return, as did VDW. Plus marks for Scott, Watson (as per), Front Row as a unit, Ritchie is blimmin brilliant.

We need to score more, I know how facile that sounds, but it is the case.

We do have a problem with coughing up possession at crucial moments.

The VDM chance was frustrating - we engineered it really well and he literally dropped it over the line.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:26 pm

Need to retain possession better in the 22. When you did that, you got points for it. Connacht seemed to turn Edinburgh over quite a bit when they got into the 22.
David990
International

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:34 am

Mostly good, some bad. I thought it was a pretty tight game, which we had slightly the better of for 65 minutes, and then they shaded the last 15. We played some nice stuff, particularly in the first half, but never really got dominance up front other than for a short period leading up to our second try. Scrums were ok, but we lost 5 lineouts (some at crucial attacking moments), and our maul didn't cause them many problems. This meant their defence was always in pretty good position and our backs got little broken play opportunity.

Much of the credit for this has to go to Connacht, who defended really well. In the later stages they started to show their attacking abilities, and I think they'll cause a lot of teams problems this season. For us, the win was the most important thing, and we deservedly got it. There's still a plenty to improve on, but we did a lot of good things, and hopefully the win gives us confidence to build on.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:53 am

Oh, and one other thing, I wish Cockers would stop whinging about referees. Yes, they get things wrong, but I don't think Pro14 refs are worse than anyone else's. It's a very difficult game to referee, and even the best don't get everything right. But it's the same for all teams, and I'm sure Ospreys, Ulster and Connacht would also find errors the referees made that affected them. It's one of rugby's admirable traditions that you don't argue with the referee, and I wish he'd wind his neck in on this. It just sounds a bit pathetic, trying to blame the referees when our results are almost always down to our own performance. We certainly don't want the players to start believing that our losses are always the referees fault, rather than things they could do better. Come on, Cockers, man up or you're going to end up sounding like Serina.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:43 am

Connacht gave Glasgow all sorts of problems in Galway, Stuart Hogg was the difference between a win and a loss. Edinburgh don't have a Stuart Hogg.

I do think we need someone who "can play" @ 12, I'd try Pygros, Hickey, VDM, VDW, Scott, Fife, Kinghorn.

Is Darcy Graham injured?, he can produce the unexpected.

Forwards are fine, McInally, Ritchie & Bradbury impressed in the loose, the lineouts "went" a bit last night, trying too much I reckon.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:08 am

I thought Scott was good at 12 last night but JJ was anonymous.

Graham hasn't shown anything other than he's too wee for Edinburgh. I'd want to see more Dean who had a great year last year with Scott.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:28 am

We nearly managed to lose/draw that one despite all our dominance for 60mins. We panicked a little in the last 20mins and need to be better at closing games out.

Our main problem, apart from the stupid mistakes, was trying too much too early. Connaght didnt commit to the breakdown and just spread out across the defensive line. We then went wide too early and found to many defenders in the wide channels. We needed to do more with the ball in the forwards to try and draw their defenders in before going wide, more pick and goes, rolling mauls, etc. We need to be smarter in attack and vary our tactics otherwise we will struggle against this type of defence.

It is good to see us with a 9 who knows how to run a game, nothing flashy but no mistakes and no brain farts - Pyrgos showed his worth again last night. A number of players looked good and it was nice to see Nel getting back to his best in the scrum. In fact no-one had a real off night it is more about getting the team as a whole to function better and more smoothly at critical times.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:50 am

David990 wrote:Need to retain possession better in the 22. When you did that, you got points for it. Connacht seemed to turn Edinburgh over quite a bit when they got into the 22.

My main worry so far this season is the number of times we’ve had possession in the opposition 22 and got no points for it.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum