Edinburgh Home Attendances

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Home Attendances

Postby disco on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:25 pm

STKS wrote:
Wottie wrote:Warriors sold out every single home game last season and the official attendance figures were 7,351 (full capacity) for literally every game. There are always empty seats in the stadium

I just assumed they were queuing for pies and pints :lol:

Doesn't seem like a very good system, disappointing if they do use that method. Will be interesting to see what our lowest attendance figures are like when it's cold and raining sideways in Jan/Feb when we play Kings and Dragons.

It's pretty common. There was a piece on the BBC last week suggesting there were differences of several thousand between attendance figures reported by Premier League football clubs (number of tickets sold) and the numbers counted in by the police (for health & safety).
disco
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:19 pm

disco wrote:
STKS wrote:
Wottie wrote:Warriors sold out every single home game last season and the official attendance figures were 7,351 (full capacity) for literally every game. There are always empty seats in the stadium

I just assumed they were queuing for pies and pints :lol:

Doesn't seem like a very good system, disappointing if they do use that method. Will be interesting to see what our lowest attendance figures are like when it's cold and raining sideways in Jan/Feb when we play Kings and Dragons.

It's pretty common. There was a piece on the BBC last week suggesting there were differences of several thousand between attendance figures reported by Premier League football clubs (number of tickets sold) and the numbers counted in by the police (for health & safety).

Uts always the case and not worth getting in a tizzy about. There was some kind of thing a few years ago with Rangers and Celtic supporters arguing about how big their crowds were which resulted in FOI requests to the police and ridiculous stuff like that.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:40 am

We met a number of rugby acquaintances at the game who fall exactly into the demographic you'd expect to come to Edinburgh games but have not in the past. They are die hard rugby fans who go to every international, support their clubs, whose children play, some have coached etc. They had barely bothered to go to Edinburgh matches before but had decided to give season tickets a go this season to make sure they got decent seats because, to quote one, 'there is something good building here'.

They enjoyed themselves.

I have had a look on the ticket site. E9 is sold out, and Es 7 and 11 are virtually sold out.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:44 am

Attendance for Benetton 4,392. This was always going to be a good match with the start they have made to the season so it's frustrating that attendance down over 16% on Connacht. Hopefully people just staying in to watch recordings or highlights of the Ryder Cup and will be back for the Cheetahs this Friday!
Last edited by Wottie on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:19 am

This is going to take a while, that attendence for the Benetton game is along the lines of Embra’s season average until the big Christmas games v the Weedge skewed the numbers.

It took til Munster and Leinster were winning to get decent average gates. If we get to the league final and into the Euro knock outs we’ll get them through the turnstiles, but I think the results have to come first.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:37 am

Wottie wrote:Attendance for Benetton 4,392. This was always going to be a good match with the start they have made to the season so it's frustrating that attendance down over 16% on Connacht. Hopefully people just staying in to watch recordings or highlights of the Ryder Cup and will be back for the Kings this week!

I actually think that's not bad for a game against Benetton, as it's usually one of the less well-attended games.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:45 am

robdinsdale wrote:I actually think that's not bad for a game against Benetton, as it's usually one of the less well-attended games.

I don't know, with the extra free U16 ST's in issue this season that will be included in that number, I think it's a poor crowd for an important game against a team in our conference going really well, and after our best season since the Robinson era, a rebrand and new stadium announcement. I was probably being optimistic but I thought we might have been justified in assuming an increase this season.
Last edited by Wottie on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:31 am

3 losses and 1 defeat. A poor match Vs Connacht too - I can see why people weren't Uber keen which is a shame as it was a cracker of a match.

Expect a slight bump for the Cheetahs and a big champions cup occasion.

It'll take a long time to build a crowd, we just need to be patient and I think end the weird annoying gimmicks. Music is far too loud imo.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Music is far too loud imo.

Very true. And people I go with hate Murrayfield. That debate is always going to divide people. Let's hope Mini-field is much better.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:35 am

Glasgow failed to sell out Scotstoun on Saturday for the 1st time since season 2015-16. Official attendance quoted at 7,174. Aside from the fact it was Zebre, Biffer will still have excellent theories on this I'm sure? :P

We had 4,555 in for the Cheetahs, up a bit on Benetton but still well down on the 5,239 in for the home opener against Connacht. Wonder when we will get an update on the new stadium works from the club now that the planning consent has been confirmed?

As an aside, the Irish have shown the way on how to do a derby with 51,120 at The Aviva for Leinster v Munster :eek:
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Wottie wrote:Glasgow failed to sell out Scotstoun on Saturday for the 1st time since season 2015-16. Official attendance quoted at 7,174. Aside from the fact it was Zebre, Biffer will still have excellent theories on this I'm sure? :P

We had 4,555 in for the Cheetahs, up a bit on Benetton but still well down on the 5,239 in for the home opener against Connacht. Wonder when we will get an update on the new stadium works from the club now that the planning consent has been confirmed?

As an aside, the Irish have shown the way on how to do a derby with 51,120 at The Aviva for Leinster v Munster :eek:

:D

The point I keep making to them is their sales are inflated by constraint on supply. If they were to suddenly get their 12k stadium, they'd probably lose around a thousand ST holders. However there are some who are convinced they would sell 12k from day one - despite the fact they struggled to sell the full 10k for their home semifinal.

Undoubtably Edinburgh has the bigger potential market, but its more difficult to access.

We are capable of getting 40k for the 1872 I think.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:14 pm

I guess the figures that are being quoted, as is the norm, assume all season tickets including free U16 attend so are probably a bit inflated however it certainly feels busier at the ground, there are definitely more Gold season ticket holders as there are two additional reserved sections, I assume with a view to getting better seats in Mini-field. Even if we have only added 500-750 per match that is a significant % increase over past seasons.

Will be interesting to see what sort of crowd we get for Toulon on a Saturday afternoon, can’t be many bigger draws in club rugby, Racing92 with Finn and maybe Montpellier with Vern, so should give an indication of potential support although a number may be playing club rugby at the time.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:14 pm

biffer wrote:We are capable of getting 40k for the 1872 I think.

..... but not at Scotstoun eh Biffer? :wink:
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:47 am

biffer wrote:
Wottie wrote:Glasgow failed to sell out Scotstoun on Saturday for the 1st time since season 2015-16. Official attendance quoted at 7,174. Aside from the fact it was Zebre, Biffer will still have excellent theories on this I'm sure? :P

The point I keep making to them is their sales are inflated by constraint on supply. If they were to suddenly get their 12k stadium, they'd probably lose around a thousand ST holders. However there are some who are convinced they would sell 12k from day one - despite the fact they struggled to sell the full 10k for their home semifinal.

Undoubtably Edinburgh has the bigger potential market, but its more difficult to access.

We struggled to sell out the SF due to the tickets being so much more expensive. Plenty of people were refusing to go because of it.
David990
International

Postby biffer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:54 am

David990 wrote:
biffer wrote:

We struggled to sell out the SF due to the tickets being so much more expensive. Plenty of people were refusing to go because of it.

Give it a rest. The cheapest tickets were a tenner more than normal. Hardly outrageous for a semifinal.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum