Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Squad 19/20

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Cockers has been here only one year. Clearing the dead wood out takes longer than that.

Who's leaving next year? I'll start

Ford
Suthsrland
Fowles

And to be controversial...
Gilchrist
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:38 am

Anyone got a list of the out of contract players?

Think there will be two groups the ones that are not offered a new contract and those that may be are but are good enough to get a better deal elsewhere.

Gilchrist may well head off especially if progress at ER stalls and his form remains good, watson I think is ooc and could attract decent offers.

Sutherland does not appear to be in favour but is ahead of Marfo at present, is dell ooc? may depend on what he does if sutherland gets offered a new deal.

Can't see Fowles staying, Kennedy may be lucky on the basis that there is nobody else out there.

Ford I think may get a one year deal and then hang up his boots after RWC unless there is a good young hooker ready to step up.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:40 pm

Out-of contract players, list corrected to remove Bradbury and Ritchie as per Wottie's post:

8 backs:
Graham
Brown
Hoyland
Taylor - Pretty sure he's on a 1-year deal
Baggott
Pyrgos
Kennedy
Fowles

14 forwards:
Sutherland
Dell
Ford
Cherry
Fenton
Berghan
Ceccarelli
McCallum
McKenzie
Gilchrist
Hunter-Hill
Watson
Hamilton
Miller

A difficult balance for Cockers next season, do you try to keep the star players like Watson, Gilchrist, Bradbury, Berghan, Ritchie, Dell etc, no doubt at some cost as they won't be short of offers elsewhere, or strengthen the many other areas of weakness on display least night? On our limited budget, there are no easy answers.
Last edited by royc on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:49 pm

Ford is still in good shape, and he strikes me as the type of chap who will keep at it as long as possible. He's not one of the university types with a degree and a new venture waiting for him after rugby.

How Long was Barclay's deal?

I wouldn't be surprised if Mata is pinched early from his contract - i think he has the rest of this season and all of next? But you can't be a big Fijian international and playing in his current from without the big money deals appearing.

Need a spring clean of scrumhalves.
STKS
International

Postby royc on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:32 am

STKS wrote:How Long was Barclay's deal?

2 years to May 2020
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:43 am

Royc, Richie’s contract is to end 20/21, Magnus has another season to 19/20 and the duration of Taylor’s contract was never confirmed but safe to assume a year I would say. Mata is contracted to end season 19/20. Activity in the 9 jersey will be interesting with 3 of the 4 expiring this season.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:54 am

biffer wrote:And to be controversial...
Gilchrist

Yup, that’s a real worry, he was linked with a move to Toulon a while back when he was struggling with injury and form but he’s smashing it out of the park this season and when they are signing players like Big Brian from Glasgow, Gilco must look very appealing to them now! Hope they can keep him in Scotland. Playing in France hasn’t worked out great for Richie from a Scotland perspective.

Of the expires this year I would also worry about whether we can hang onto Watson.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:16 pm

Can't see Ford leaving - who is going to want him? Also leaves us really light at hooker. Fenton might be good, Cherry is a stop gap and Renwick can't get a start at Watsonians. Could see Jake Kerr come back?

I think Gilchrist and Watson will stay, Watson has just had a child so not sure he'd want the upheaval and Gilchrist probably appreciates the rest. In addition, they've been long suffering and are key players in a resurgence, I think they'll stay for a shot at the league.

We don't have many forwards coming through the academy either.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:48 pm

With Hogg leaving weeg I'd be getting a deal in front of Graham ASAP.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:11 pm

BigD163 wrote:With Hogg leaving weeg I'd be getting a deal in front of Graham ASAP.

He doesn't need to go to Glasgow to be a first choice player, I think he's done that on the wing with us already. In any case the contract is with the SRU, my worry in that regard is if they think moving him over is a good idea and if the player and they see his future as a full back
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:39 pm

I think if we are going to see a player move West it is more likely to be Tom Brown or Hoyland someone needing game time, as Pyrgos was, rather than someone just breaking through and likely to be a first choice wing by end of season.

Glasgow/SRU needed Hogg to commit early one way are another he was their biggest earner, they also really need to get Rennies position sorted (if not already), so they can look at the other OOC players and see where the spend goes. Big loss obviously, and unfortunately I think we will see it happen more both at GW and ER.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:13 am

The Feral Goat wrote:I think if we are going to see a player move West it is more likely to be Tom Brown or Hoyland someone needing game time, as Pyrgos was, rather than someone just breaking through and likely to be a first choice wing by end of season.

Glasgow/SRU needed Hogg to commit early one way are another he was their biggest earner, they also really need to get Rennies position sorted (if not already), so they can look at the other OOC players and see where the spend goes. Big loss obviously, and unfortunately I think we will see it happen more both at GW and ER.

There would justifiably be outrage if the SRU were seen to be moving across Tom Brown to replace Hogg. The SRU will need to make a good signing to appease fans.

The Glasgow castle is built on sand, if they stop winning they won't be selling out weekly. The SRU must know this.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:I think if we are going to see a player move West it is more likely to be Tom Brown or Hoyland someone needing game time, as Pyrgos was, rather than someone just breaking through and likely to be a first choice wing by end of season.

There would justifiably be outrage if the SRU were seen to be moving across Tom Brown to replace Hogg. The SRU will need to make a good signing to appease fans.

The Glasgow castle is built on sand, if they stop winning they won't be selling out weekly. The SRU must know this.

Hogg and Russell away, World Cup year and no big signings might have a significant effect on their season ticket sales.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:57 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:

I did not say Brown or Hoyland was what they would want I was replying to the suggestion of an ER player moving West and IF that was to happen of the back 3 we have, they are the ones likely to move, rather than a Graham or Kinghorn who are 1st choice at ER.

I agree Glasgow need a marquee signing but they must have 75% of their backs OOC including Huw Jones, Tommy Seymour, George Horne, Alex Dunbar, Sam Johnson, Lee Jones, Adam Hastings, Rory Hughes, Ruaridh Jackson depending on who goes/stays the “marquee” signing does not need to be a fullback (an AB centre or Wing perhaps is more realistic than finding a star FB), but they will still need to recruit a back 3 player, marquee or otherwise, and history has shown that could end up being from ER whether they like it or not.

From an ER point of view I would not want to lose either, i think Brown always puts in maximum effort and Hoyland, free of injury, has the potential to be a very good club player for ER.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:55 am

https://twitter.com/MarkPalmerST/status ... 42272?s=19

Not sure how to get twitter link to work... but interesting article in yesterday's ST re the c50 players OOC across the pro teams plus a chief exec and head coach to fill / renew.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum