Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:46 am

Round 3 , Pool 5 , BT Murrayfield Stadium ,

Ref: Marius Mitrea (Italy) , Assis Ref 1: Andrea Piardi (Italy) , Assis Ref 2: Matteo Liperini (Italy) , TMO: Stefano Penne (Italy)

It was about this time last season we started to get performances together and progress up the Pro14 conference, although we were able to rest first XV players against Krasny etc in the Challenge Cup.

Scott and Carmichael reportedly not yet cleared to play but should have all other fit internationals back for this one.

https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-v- ... cockerill/

EDIT: Scott should be back next week and McKenzie for Glasgow per Scrum article.

https://scrummagazine.com/cockerill-is- ... k-to-back/

I will take a punt at

Schoeman
Mcinally
Berghan
Gilchrist
Toolis
Ritchie
Watson
Mata

Pyrgos
Hickey
Dean
Johnstone
VDM
Kinghorn
Graham

Dell, Ford, Nel, CHH, Hamilton, Kennedy, VDW, Taylor
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh Rugby v Newcastle Falcons 7Dec 1945KO

Postby liveinhope on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:13 pm

To be honest with the exception of which of Nel or Bergham starts that team picks itself given the remaining injuries to Scott and the back row.
Interesting that you've included George Taylor on the bench, I'd certainly like to think Cockerill will opt for him rather than Socino though he may well take the safer option and opt for experience.That would be a pity given the impressive mixture of pace,aggression and passing shown on Taylor's debut on Friday night.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Can't see Taylor making the bench ahead of Fife.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:12 pm

To be honest neither can I, but a number of individual performances v Munster (+ve and –ve) should give Cockerill some thinking ahead of this match.

With injuries we are a bit limited in our options to cover centre with only Taylor and Socino available and Dean able to play at 12 or 13. From the bench Taylor can cover centre/wing with VDW 10/15. If Socino benches to cover 10/12 we then probably go with Fife or Brown as wing/FB cover. I am just not convinced Socino or Fife are showing good enough good form at present so based on his good personal performance v a strong Munster team I think Taylor deserves a shot from the bench.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:34 pm

How long is Bradbury our for?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:24 pm

Tichtheid wrote:How long is Bradbury our for?

Think the last details I saw at end October were

"One player he had already known would be out is Magnus Bradbury, who withdrew from the Scotland squad last week with a shoulder injury. “We’re just deciding whether Magnus needs surgery, which is probably the case,” the coach said. “If he has surgery that will be, I would say, 16 weeks.”

Not sure if he went on to have surgery or not.

Crosbie was expected back around mid December if I recall correctly.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:28 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:How long is Bradbury our for?

Think the last details I saw at end October were

"One player he had already known would be out is Magnus Bradbury, who withdrew from the Scotland squad last week with a shoulder injury. “We’re just deciding whether Magnus needs surgery, which is probably the case,” the coach said. “If he has surgery that will be, I would say, 16 weeks.”

Not sure if he went on to have surgery or not.

Crosbie was expected back around mid December if I recall correctly.

Cheers, yeah that tallies with what I remember about Crosbie.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:49 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:To be honest neither can I, but a number of individual performances v Munster (+ve and –ve) should give Cockerill some thinking ahead of this match.

With injuries we are a bit limited in our options to cover centre with only Taylor and Socino available and Dean able to play at 12 or 13. From the bench Taylor can cover centre/wing with VDW 10/15. If Socino benches to cover 10/12 we then probably go with Fife or Brown as wing/FB cover. I am just not convinced Socino or Fife are showing good enough good form at present so based on his good personal performance v a strong Munster team I think Taylor deserves a shot from the bench.

Fair point. I don't think Socino has shown anything that would justify him being in the 23 for this game. My assumption would be that either Hickey or VDW could cover 12 and Dean goes to 13 if Johnstone goes off. Not convinced we would change any of the back 3 unless there was an injury, but cover is still needed and I think putting a guy who has played one pro game on the bench to cover is quite a risk.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Shame John Hardie isn't playing, was excited for a titanic battle between Watson and Hardie.

Two quality packs, Cockers Vs Deano and backlines that aren't the best but spark in the back 3.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 am

Strange that Newcastle haven't taken the chance to include Hardie given he now seems established in the 1stXV.Perhaps they had to use up allowed swaps on injuries in crucial positions? Anyway to our advantage though a pity not to get the chance to see him playing again.
Anyone know if Bradbury ended up having an operation? Were that the case then he's presumably be out for well into the 6N period.Hopefully being "managed" otherwise and back next month.
Is Crosbie fit for this weekend? A suggestion recently from Cockerill that he would be then no mention of him in Monday's interview.It would be great to have him available to take some of the load off the back row in the next four matches rather than just using Ritchie/Mata/Watson/Hamilton as starters and sub all the time even if all fit.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Shame John Hardie isn't playing, was excited for a titanic battle between Watson and Hardie.

Two quality packs, Cockers Vs Deano and backlines that aren't the best but spark in the back 3.

The Newcastle fella Williams looks a decent talent. Is SQ too.

Delighted Hardie isn't playing. They are weaker for it.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:26 pm

liveinhope wrote:Strange that Newcastle haven't taken the chance to include Hardie given he now seems established in the 1stXV.

he had had 3 games while the Newcastle captain was away getting MoMs for England. Hardly establishing himself in their 1st XV yet.

They named back rows way back and short of an injury why on earth would they potentially waste a change, rather than see what they may need to change.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Schoeman
Mcinally
Nel
Toolis
Gilchrist
Ritchie
Watson
Mata

Pyrgos
VDW
Dean
Johnstone
VDM
Kinghorn
Graham

Dell, Cherry, Berghan, CHH, Hamilton, Fowles, Hickey, Socino
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:05 pm

A Matt Scott away from our first choice XV, so no excuses.

Bit concerned about the lack of game changing ability in the replacement backs but hopefully by the time Hickey comes on his kicking game will be to close out the match rather than chase it.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Toon

15. Alex Tait, 14. Tom Arscott, 13. Chris Harris, 12. Pedro Bettencourt, 11. Adam Radwan, 10. Brett Connon, 9. Tane Takulua, 1. Adam Brocklebank, 2. George McGuigan, 3. David Wilson, 4. Tex Cavubati , 5. Glen Young, 6. Ryan Burrows (c), 7. Gary Graham, 8. Callum Chick.
Replacements:
16. Santi Socino, 17. Trevor Davison, 18. Sami Mavinga, 19. Calum Green, 20. Simon Uzokwe, 21. Sam Stuart, 22. Toby Flood, 23. Johnny Williams,
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum