Toulon - Champions Cup

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Toulon - Champions Cup

Postby Ron on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:33 pm

For those travelling to Toulon on Thursday, all Edinburgh supporters have been invited to the Navigateur restaurant in the Marina for a welcome buffet at 18.30 hrs on the same day. The restaurant will be providing this free of charge.
Ron
World Cup Star

Re: Toulon - Champions Cup

Postby Lynnmc45 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:44 pm

We’re not in Toulon until the Friday. Have you heard if anything is planned anywhere on the Friday night?
Lynnmc45
Embra Debut

Postby Ron on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 pm

Can’t imagine we'll be doing anything on Friday :D :D
We'll keep everyone posted with suitable meet up points on our Facebook page throughout the weekend.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:09 am

Wish I was travelling to this one, looks a great place to watch a rugby match

Toulon v Edinburgh 12Jan 1730 BT Sport 2

Ref: Wayne Barnes (England) Assis Ref 1: Anthony Woodthorpe (England) Assis Ref 2: Simon McConnell (England) TMO: Rowan Kitt (England)

Toulon look like they are playing a bit better although still struggling to win games. It will be interesting to see what sort of team they put out given their domestic struggles and being virtually out of the Champions Cup. Going by the reports Cockerill is expecting their strongest available.

Would be great to get a win and be looking to secure a home QF with another win v Montpellier the following week but Toulon is a tough place to go to but we should be travelling confident and are certainly capable.

Assuming no new injuries I imagine the starting team is likely to be very much the one that has done well through December.

Schoeman
McInally
Nel
Toolis
Gilchrist
Ritchie
Watson
Mata
Pyrgos
VDW
Dean (think he may be available Socino if not)
Johnstone
VDM
Graham
Kinghorn

Strong performances against the Kings may see McKenzie and Sutherland onto the bench although that would be tough on CHH in particular.

Could make a case for Berghan to start and I while I would like to see Sheil and Taylor get some more minutes I think it is unlikely but maybe next week if qualification is secure, so bench to be

Cherry, Dell/Sutherland, Berghan, Mckenzie, Crosbie, Fowles, Hickey, Fife
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:26 am

I think you won’t be far off there, TFG. There is a pic of Dean in training on the club site, so hopefully he is good to go.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:31 am

Don't disagree with any of the above.

Berghan and Nel are both very strong and capable and having 2 top class tight head props is a fantastic dilema for us to have. However for me the choice comes down to the oppo prop. At 6'3" Berghan is tall for a big prop and can struggle against a smaller loose head who can get underneath him and pop him up. He really struggles against Buckley the Connaght prop who is 5'8" for example. Nel copes better with the smaller LH and also has a similar advantage when against taller oppo LHs. Happy with either on the pitch.

I hope Toulon dont field their top team and do the usual french thing and throw in the towel now they are out of the comp. I have no scruples about getting a win against their 2nd or 3rd team!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:40 pm

I assume it's in Toulons interest for Montpellier to qualify
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Im not sure about how Toulon will approach this, yes they have issues in the league and cant progress, but they are at home and French teams hate losing at home. If this had been in Edinburgh then I think they would chuck it but not in Mayol.

Their crowd will go mental if they do. I think it will be a tough game, we just have to turn up and do our thing. We are hard to beat. I dont think we are under much pressure here, they are.

We dont need to get carried away with form either, yes we have done well but arguably our last 3 opponents have been the most ot of form teams we have seen for a long time. We kept our foot on their throats but they didnt fight too hard. Toulon may fall into that category if we get ahead of them but still dangerous.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:55 pm

We need to go expecting the worst case and play like jobs depended on the result(which should be the case every week) if a lead comes to us we need to hammer them and hopefully demoralise them and maybe make life easier, team above looks likely and if possible give them all some game time starters a wee break, unfortunately this away trip is a week too soon for my(latest) retirement but it’d be good a MF if the league is in our grip.
Hope all making the trip enjoy, we’ll be shouting at the telly from here.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:56 pm

As we will win the group if we beat Montpellier irrespective of Saturday's result I wonder how that will affect our approach mentally? Does this take pressure off us and help the players relax a little or might it simply reduce focus and be to our detriment? Equally a win in both fixtures would guarantee a home QF which might not be the case if we win only one of the fixtures so hopefully everything to play for(and of course we might need a win to qualify as one of the 3 best runners up if we then lose at home to Montpellier.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:13 pm

Actually you are both right and I have changed my mind!

We have been at our best when we have been a right bunch of b@rstewards and worked our socks off. When the pressure has been off we have been weak.

I really wouldn't want this to come down to a shootout vs Montpellier, they are a pretty awesome team. We cant categorically win it in this game but we can make it really hard for Montpellier. It would also boost our confidence massively.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:14 pm

Actually you are both right and I have changed my mind!

We have been at our best when we have been a right bunch of b@rstewards and worked our socks off. When the pressure has been off we have been weak.

I really wouldn't want this to come down to a shootout vs Montpellier, they are a pretty awesome team. We cant categorically win it in this game but we can make it really hard for Montpellier. It would also boost our confidence massively.

Ideally Newcastle could do us a favour but it is unlikely.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:15 pm

Can’t see us going at it any way other than 100% with the aggressive physical approach that has brought us the wins so far.

Without looking at all the other groups remaining fixtures it looks unlikely at this stage our group will yield one of the best 2nd place qualifiers so while we still “just” need to beat Montpellier if we could get a win, or a couple of points, in Toulon we then give ourselves the opportunity of a home QF (I think) if we beat Montpellier at Murrayfield which I would imagine is more likely if they are unable to qualify even with a win over us.

Got to go for it on Saturday, if we are close with 15-20 to go I would back our fitness to win it.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby PattiP on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:03 pm

We also arrive on Friday so would be good to meet up Friday evening if folk are around. Have not researched Toulon bars so open to suggestions!
PattiP
Embra Debut

Postby BruceLee on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:37 pm

TBH it could be a step up or not to previous weeks,depends on which team Toulon put out or how well we compete in the forwards and our defence and attack.Personally i feel the way the boys are playing and their motivation for this game will ultimately secure a win.Incidentally,for the stay at home supporters,are any of you watching it at the Huxley?
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum