Toulon - Champions Cup

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Toulon - Champions Cup

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I’m overcome, whisky will be taken tonight.

How about we crowdfund Big Bill’s new contract :D

Time to inundate SRU with email to break the bank.

And there were many more out there tonight. I am prepared to pay more for next years season ticket, already.
Last edited by Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Excellent performance and fantastic result, totally deserved. I thought we were unlucky to be down at half time having played nearly all the rugby in the first half, and we got our reward in the second period. Everyone played well, but our back play was a revelation. Dean and JJ looked dangerous every time they got the ball, and the whole backline proved we certainly can play adventurous and effective attacking rugby. Brilliant stuff.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:02 pm

biffer wrote:A riot, a teargassing and an Edinburgh win in Toulon.

I've had worse Saturdays.

It’s only a riot if others are involved. That’s just you wailing and screaming like a drunk Scottish version of fight club!

Enjoy the night, we don’t get many like this!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Just to add that Mata offload is utter filth and should not be shown before the watershed!

He has become a collosus, sadly we won’t even get close to what he will be offered, just have to hope he likes it here as much as Nel does.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Just to add that Mata offload is utter filth and should not be shown before the watershed!

He has become a collosus, sadly we won’t even get close to what he will be offered, just have to hope he likes it here as much as Nel does.

If he has any sense he will have discounted Toulon as a future employer.

Rhys Webb has always been a nob but he used to be a good rugby player he was so far off the pace. Savea shocking did he take contact once? Kept shipping the ball on.

Toulon need to rebuild, someone from ER should leave Solly's number.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Just a shout out for Fraz, I thought when he came on we never skipped a beat and he carried and tackled and rucked liked he'd never been away.

This is what we need , change players when they've run themselves into the ground, but no drop in quality from the replacements.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:26 pm

Really enjoyable viewing.

Several tremendous performances and things to work on. Good stuff.

A wee word of praise for JJ. Others will get deserved plaudits but for a guy plucked from the 7s 16-18 months ago he continues to perform well. Very good tonight.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:26 pm

One other point on the Mata offload the wide shot shows how far back and much effort JJ put in to get there to be collect the ball. Must have been screaming for the pass as well...or Mata dropped it and got lucky :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:28 pm

BigD163 wrote:Really enjoyable viewing.

Several tremendous performances and things to work on. Good stuff.

A wee word of praise for JJ. Others will get deserved plaudits but for a guy plucked from the 7s 16-18 months ago he continues to perform well. Very good tonight.

The way Dean and JJ are playing and improving week on week, Scott and Bennett will need to displace them, rather than walking in to a jersey kept warm for them
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:33 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:or Mata dropped it and got lucky :)

Heresy - burn him...!!!
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:41 pm

TFG is right, though, the difference between an outlandish game-breaking offload and a knock-on/dropped ball is always in the support running
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:45 pm

btw, I thought Jamie Ritchie's pass out of the tackle* for Darcy's score was the equal of Big Bill's for the JJ try

*call me an old fart but I prefer calling it a pass out of the tackle to "offload" which sound too AFL to me
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Not to forget the King. His passing was fantastic - sheer class. If we recruit well again this summer the future will be bright!
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:01 pm

Briiliant, Superb, Fantastic. We are on a roll, lets put Montpellier to the sword bigtime on Friday.The guys fronted up and destroyed Toulon in that second half and tbh the scoreline flattered them.That was a real team performance and i am so proud of what we have achieved so far in the cup,roll on Friday lets destroy another French team and get the home quarter.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:06 pm

macdone wrote:Not to forget the King. His passing was fantastic - sheer class. If we recruit well again this summer the future will be bright!

Agree on BK, he looked really sharp tonight.

A young guy I liked the look of but who seems to have stalled a bit is Rory Hutchinson at Saints, I'd be interested in having him brought up to Edinburgh
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum