Heineken Cup QF v Munster

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Heineken Cup QF v Munster

Postby biffer on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:21 pm

This will be a great weekend. Hope we get a Saturday game but even if we don't I reckon there will be 10k+ Munster men over. Here's hoping we can get a crowd pushing 50k.

Start talking about it now to friends and colleagues. Let's make this a day that no one in Edinburgh wants to miss.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: Heineken Cup QF v Munster

Postby TheSmidge on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:26 pm

I think 50k would be very ambitious, even allowing for 10k travelling fans. The last QF was a mass day out for club rugby supporters and, with Glasgow playing in London, I just don't think we will do much better than match the 38k for Toulouse. Would love to proved wrong of course!
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:31 pm

TheSmidge wrote:I think 50k would be very ambitious, even allowing for 10k travelling fans. The last QF was a mass day out for club rugby supporters and, with Glasgow playing in London, I just don't think we will do much better than match the 38k for Toulouse. Would love to proved wrong of course!

Yeah, but that's similar to the chat prior to Friday - most people thought we wouldn't beat the crowd for the game against L'Oirish in 2012 because it was on a Friday night. I reckon we will, because the film lk who came to that game will buy earlier.

And I remember being called ambitious for talking about 20-25k for the Toulouse game!
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:36 pm

I had initially though 10-15 k travelling however it depends how many of them want to save themselves for the away semi.

Would be good if our game and Glasgow were on different days for numbers. But likely the ones going to London will be the ones most likely to come through
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:53 pm

Scottish Rugby fans will come same as last time.

Having had a look, Saracens will play the game at the Allianz - they usually do for quarter finals. So 3000 max Glasgow down there. The extra away fans will more than make up for that.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:07 pm

Here’s hoping not to many injuries between now and then
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:24 pm

We now need to mobilise every man/woman and their dog to wear an Edinburgh scarf and turnout for this game to over shout the Munster many, actually we should do this at all home games.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:43 pm

biffer wrote:Scottish Rugby fans will come same as last time.

Having had a look, Saracens will play the game at the Allianz - they usually do for quarter finals. So 3000 max Glasgow down there. The extra away fans will more than make up for that.

AP will be extended to 15K as per comp rules and as per last time Glasgow played them in the QF.
Glasgow will get 25% of all categories. Last time the estimate was well over 5K , possibly 5.5 to 6K supporters there; buying off Saracens site and southern based Scots complicates the picture. As does losing again to them, but I wouldn't assume 3k is the necessarily a max, and as said those who travel down would be the most likely to come to see Edinburgh.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:49 pm

joe soap wrote:

AP will be extended to 15K as per comp rules and as per last time Glasgow played them in the QF.
Glasgow will get 25% of all categories. Last time the estimate was well over 5K , possibly 5.5 to 6K supporters there; buying off Saracens site and southern based Scots complicates the picture. As does losing again to them, but I wouldn't assume 3k is the necessarily a max, and as said those who travel down would be the most likely to come to see Edinburgh.

OK, so that doesn't negate the point about Munster bringing way more than Toulouse. We will have 45k+
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:02 pm

biffer wrote:
joe soap wrote:

OK, so that doesn't negate the point about Munster bringing way more than Toulouse. We will have 45k+

Munster will bring more than Toulouse would isn't exactly breaking news. They will have a big contingent over here anyway, but its not long after the 6N (nice Rome trip + Cardiff) and with that some may keep their pennies for an away SF

Tough , I hope your call is right though
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:08 pm

joe soap wrote:
biffer wrote:
joe soap wrote:

Munster will bring more than Toulouse would isn't exactly breaking news. They will have a big contingent over here anyway, but its not long after the 6N (nice Rome trip + Cardiff) and with that some may keep their pennies for an away SF

Tough , I hope your call is right though

No difference from last time.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Flinty's Barmy Army on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:10 pm

joe soap wrote:Munster will bring more than Toulouse would isn't exactly breaking news. They will have a big contingent over here anyway, but its not long after the 6N (nice Rome trip + Cardiff) and with that some may keep their pennies for an away SF

That'll be nice of them coming to support us against Glasgow. :D

No reason to believe that we can't hit the 50k.
Flinty's Barmy Army
International

Postby disco on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:18 pm

TheSmidge wrote:I think 50k would be very ambitious, even allowing for 10k travelling fans. The last QF was a mass day out for club rugby supporters and, with Glasgow playing in London, I just don't think we will do much better than match the 38k for Toulouse. Would love to proved wrong of course!

In favour of getting a bigger crowd would be Munster bringing a bigger travelling support than Toulouse would have and Edinburgh being on a massive upswing across the board whereas ahead of the 2012 QF there was a good European campaign but the league was a shambles and crowds were about half of what they are now.

I wonder if Scotland's campaign might have an impact? In 2012 the lead-in to the QF was a 6 Nations whitewash. A stronger campaign this time around might bring more of the casual fans out to play.

50k is definitely ambitious but that's the sort of level they really need to be aiming for when setting the prices and deciding how heavily to promote the game in the coming weeks.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:24 pm

disco wrote:

In favour of getting a bigger crowd would be Munster bringing a bigger travelling support than Toulouse would have and Edinburgh being on a massive upswing across the board whereas ahead of the 2012 QF there was a good European campaign but the league was a shambles and crowds were about half of what they are now.

I wonder if Scotland's campaign might have an impact? In 2012 the lead-in to the QF was a 6 Nations whitewash. A stronger campaign this time around might bring more of the casual fans out to play.

50k is definitely ambitious but that's the sort of level they really need to be aiming for when setting the prices and deciding how heavily to promote the game in the coming weeks.

Interesting point. And it's much harder to get tickets for BTM tests, not to mention more expensive. That could have an effect too.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:36 pm

I reckon if its a Saturday match we could get hIgh forties,possibly more.Watch this space ps harder to estimate a Friday night match.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum