John Barclay

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

John Barclay

Postby STKS on Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:41 pm

Just reading about Rory Best announcing he'll retire after the world cup. What are the chances of John going to Japan and not coming back to play for Edinburgh? I Think it would be fair to say John Barclay's move to Edinburgh was about getting the then Scotland captain playing in Scotland before the RWC rather than Edinburgh's need.

Our back row options next year:

Barclay (RWC)
Bradbury (Likely RWC)
Crosbie
Douglas (temp/2nd row option)
Haining
Mata (RWC)
Miller
Richie (Possibly RWC)
Watson (RWC)

We look very thin during the RWC, (especially if Toolis and Gilchrist both go, leaving us with only 3 locks, one of whom ((Carmichael))is coming back from knee surgery). However on returning, we have an embarrassment of riches in the back row, even once Murray Douglas heads home for super rugby.

John turns 33 a few days after our first game in Japan against Ireland. I wouldn't be surprised if Glasgow in two weeks is his last Edinburgh appearance. I don't want it to be the case and i hope he finishes the season.
STKS
International

Re: John Barclay

Postby STKS on Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Also while i'm thinking about it. I think Luke Hamilton not accepting his offer maybe threw a spanner in the works with our RWC cover, so i think we're due another back row/lock ontop of the 9 we've got coming in. And I think if that singing materialises with anything other than a short term deal, I think it's safe to say we're not expecting john back.

I Wonder if we could get a loan of John Hardie...I wonder if he has a relegation clause...
STKS
International

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:04 pm

Assuming he is fit I think we will see plenty of Barclay at ER next year, although would not be surprised if he retires from international after RWC or the 2020 6N.

RWC cover - Probably for a different thread but in a squad of 34 with a 19/15 split common I am not convinced there is space for all of Toolis, Ritchie and Barclay to go. A lot may depend on if Skinner goes and, I cant see it, but McCallum as cover for both sides of the scrum. Injuries can of course put everything up in the air. A few big decisions for Toonie to make.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:16 am

I think one more year at least. He signed a two yr contract and he has com back form injury looking good. In aodd way the injury might have helped, it has given him time off to refresh himself and he looks raring to go and as fit as ever.

Agree RWC squad is going to be tight. There will be injuries before then though, particularly with 4 warm up games to play.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:57 am

During the WC we’ll have at least 4 locks;

Hunter-Hill
Carmichael
Douglas
McKenzie

Also (whilst it would be unfair) I think Toolis might miss out, if R.Gray is fit, or if he goes with Skinner (which I assume he will for his perceived versatility).

Plus the young lads who were given a chance this season
Callum Atkinson
Jamie Hodgson

I think we should be set there.

Backrow similarly I think we should be ok with Douglas able to cover both, same with Carmichael. Also in a similar situation to Toolis, I suspect one of Ritchie or Bradbury might miss out. Again I don’t think they should, but Toonie will take Wilson (no idea why), Barclay and Watson (I think they are pretty much nailed on), he might take Strauss just for….no idea but he seems to like picking him. Then Skinner will likely be there as BR/lock cover. Bradbury & Ritchie seems like a lot. Again not what I would do, just what I expect Toonie to do.
EWT spoons
International

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:33 am

Tend to agree. If Watson, Barlcay and Wilson go then I dont see a place for Ritchie, he is quite similar, Bradbury is totally different from them and Skinner. Fagerson jnr seems to be in good carrying form, he could be a bolter, in which case maybe neither Ritchie or Bradbury may go.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:30 am

Just to correct an earlier post-the WC squads are 31 not 34.We will likely have an 18/13 split,though just possibly could be 17/14.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:48 am

SRB reporting that Jamie Hodgson has signed a pro deal.

Pleased if true as he didn't look out of place when thrown in this season and could be a real prospect. A bit like CHH he was a leader at under 20 level as well.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:56 pm

JDCSR wrote:SRB reporting that Jamie Hodgson has signed a pro deal.

Pleased if true as he didn't look out of place when thrown in this season and could be a real prospect. A bit like CHH he was a leader at under 20 level as well.

Announced earlier this week that he'd signed a "partnership contract" with Edinburgh and (I think) Watsonians.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:06 pm

I seem to recall JB wanting to go into coaching, but then he has also mentioned estate management.

I think he comes across as a very intelligent guy, and allied to his skills on the park he has the raw materials to be a top class coach.

My hope is that he plays at least another season with us, unhindered by injury this time and moves into a player/coach role the year after

On the other matter, we took four locks, four flankers and two 8s to the last world cup, so that is the kind of template they will be choosing from, Skinner is really the only lock/flanker of the players available. Denton is definitely out now, I can't see Blade Thompson being in the running.

Richie Gray has looked very good the last few weeks, as has his wee brother to be honest.

I thought Jamie Ritchie was our best player in the 6N, our best forward anyway, he has to go to Japan even if its as Watson's understudy.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 pm

liveinhope wrote:Just to correct an earlier post-the WC squads are 31 not 34.We will likely have an 18/13 split,though just possibly could be 17/14.

Guilty! cheers no idea where I got 34 from don't think 6nation squads are that either, even some of Townsends more random selection efforts would struggle to add three extra.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Thu May 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Coming back to the possibility of John retiring after the RWC. RugbyPass have a long interview with him about Scotland, himself and the RWC on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7tRmRCYQyU

At the end of the interview he gets asked about any desire to play abroad, and he says that if someone offered him a contract for a year or two and it was right for his family then he wouldn't mind some time in France or somewhere else. Looks like he isn't planning on hanging the boots up yet, so we'll probably get another season out of him after the RWC.
STKS
International

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum