Mini Murrayfied

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Mini Murrayfied

Postby Wottie on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:00 pm

bignose wrote:Assuming that it's the council that's the hold-up. It could well be that the SRU are trying to cut some costs (value engineering, I think it used to be called) and that Building Control are holding them to account and insisting that they can't. In fairness, neither organisation involved has any reputation for slick project management.

I think there is a limit to the "value engineering" options with a plastic pitch, 4 temp stands, some portaloos and mobile food vending units. I know where my money would be on cause of the delay here.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:18 pm

As they are "demountable" stands I would have thought they will be to a standard spec, so not as if they are doing anything new or innovative. I thought it would be straightforward, although these things never really are.

I have submitted a planning and building warrant application recently (not in Edinburgh) and it is unbelievable. Info is dripped out rather than just tell you what they want. Then being very particular in the format they want it (but not telling you in advance!) some things must be hard copy, some things cant be hard copy, some have to be emailed, some have to go through a portal, it drives me nuts!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:55 pm

I'm hoping they are provided by the same company that gave us the Myerside stands. Those were good, nice wide and comfortable seats, great leg room, wide isles, overhead and rear cover. Better than anything in Murrayfield barring the fancy seats that princess anne gets. Plans looked to have standing areas at the front of the stands too, so they'll need to be fairly high with a decent rake.
STKS
International

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:11 am

There is an article in the Offside Line that states Edinburgh are still hoping to open Minifield at some point in the coming season, they have the land, the money, the planning permission, but they don't have a building warrant, yet.

I'm getting really fed up of the Offside Line's inability to even have one article that doesn't attack the SRU and Agenda three, they even tacked on a go at the SRU at the end of this article.

They have an editorial policy on SRU governance and Agenda 3, fine, there is very little to nothing in the way of balance, fine, but to crowbar it in on every article is just boring.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:18 pm

Tichtheid wrote:There is an article in the Offside Line that states Edinburgh are still hoping to open Minifield at some point in the coming season, they have the land, the money, the planning permission, but they don't have a building warrant, yet.

I'm getting really fed up of the Offside Line's inability to even have one article that doesn't attack the SRU and Agenda three, they even tacked on a go at the SRU at the end of this article.

They have an editorial policy on SRU governance and Agenda 3, fine, there is very little to nothing in the way of balance, fine, but to crowbar it in on every article is just boring.

Yep agree with this.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Tichtheid wrote:There is an article in the Offside Line that states Edinburgh are still hoping to open Minifield at some point in the coming season, they have the land, the money, the planning permission, but they don't have a building warrant, yet.

Obviously we can have no middle ground between the insight-free rugby coverage (what's left of it) in the newspapers and grudge-filled blogging.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:41 am

There appears to be a rumour we will be at Raeburn Place rather than Minifield in future, not seen anything other than mentioned in the below. Could just be off season chat.

https://scrummagazine.com/burgh-review- ... -question/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:45 am

The Feral Goat wrote:There appears to be a rumour we will be at Raeburn Place rather than Minifield in future, not seen anything other than mentioned in the below. Could just be off season chat.

https://scrummagazine.com/burgh-review- ... -question/

Wouldn't Raeburn Place be too small?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:11 am

Sounds a biIt like someone trying to make a story to fill space during a quiet time.

For all it’s history etc Raeburn place, I don’t think it’s a good idea. There was huge opposition to the rebuild so expanding will be a nightmare, parking and transport also not great. I’m not sure how it can be argued that we can’t go back to ground sharing at Meggatkand (not that I think we should) but that RP would be ok, surely it’s the same thing?

First choice would be Mini for me and second choice stay where we are.we should only move to a better solution not for the sake of it.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:28 am

This was the last I could find on it 2500 seats but capacity of 10000 with temp stands so would be big enough.
target completion is March 2021 but that is subject to funding only the retail section which I believe is in progress currently funded.

Not convinced the limited transport and parking in the area could handle 10000.

"Phase one of the development includes the building of nine retail units along the Comely Bank Road edge of the site, plus temporary changing and storage facilities for the rugby club. “This commercial element, with units let to quality tenants including Marks & Spencer Foodhall, Waterstones and Charlie Miller, has attracted funding from the Bank of Scotland,” explained the press release issued by the Raeburn Place Foundation – who are responsible for the programme of works – on Monday. It is anticipated that work on this part of the contract will be completed by the autumn of this year.

Subsequent stages will deal with permanent changing and storage facilities, function suites, kitchen area, restaurant, café, bar/lounge, corporate boxes, terraced seating for 2,500 sports spectators and the museum. Ultimately, the rugby ground will have the capacity to host 10,000 spectators via temporary seating.

“Fundraising will drive when the next phase begins, but the overarching aim is to have the whole project completed by March 2021, in time to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the first ever rugby international,” explained Edinburgh Accies President Frank Spratt."

https://theoffsideline.com/raeburn-plac ... ent-plans/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby bigparahandy on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:02 pm

This was my article in Scrum.

It was prompted by a rumour that someone posted on The Edinburgh rugby Fans page on FB from an apparently 'reliable source' about a supposed move. It did however give me a hook to discuss the 3G thing and Mini Murrayfield in the one piece and express my feeling that a move to Raeburn Place is a non starter as far as I'm concerned.
bigparahandy
Established pro

Postby liveinhope on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:52 pm

Even Edin Accies aren't able to start playing league matches there until late November .
Actually a good location with proximity to bars and restaurants but simply a non-starter (as mentioned may times before) due to transport,parking,new stand too small,cost to SRU in rental etc,oh and the pitch really no better than Myreside in the winter.
Think this is just silly season musings. But be good if the SRU could put a rocket under Edinburgh Council to get the building warrant for mini Murrayfield progressed. Just how many millions does rugby at HQ bring to the local economy annually.. possiblyly in excess of 100 million?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:40 pm

I'm not convinced parking is as big a deal as a lot of people make out. Within 5-10 minutes walk of Edinburgh Accies there are all the places to park around Fettes (Carrington Road, East Fettes Avenue etc) and Inverleith Park (Arboretum Road, Inverleith Terrace, Inverleith Place). There are disabled parking places in the plans for the ground and I'm sure Portgower Place could be used as well for disabled access.

Raeburn Place was always my preferred option tbh, but it seemed to go nowhere for so long that I gave up on it. It's clear from the existing plan that the 2500 stand they're building could easily be replicated at the other end of the ground, which would still leave a complete side available for a temporary stand of 4-5000 if necessary (2-3000 more likely atm).

Wrt planning, the main sweep of objections so far as I recall were around the stadium being there at all - building at the other end, away from all of the housing, with a continuing use, would have less in the way of objections that could be made to stand up.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm

The pitches were always heavy at Raeburn Place, the water in the pond on the other side of the wall is higher than the level of the playing surface. If Edinburgh were to play there some good drainage would need to be put in place, or a hybrid/3g option, having two games a weekend on the one pitch would prove tricky.

Having said that, I’m very fond of that ground and Comely Bank & Stockbridge.

Minifield would still be my preferred option, it’s just so much easier, the residents created a stink about the Accies ground refurbishment, I can only imagine it will be much worse if we achieve our goal of getting seven thousand plus fans turning up on a Friday night
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:04 pm

It is extremely unlikely we'll end up playing at Raeburn Place, but in theory it has the potential to be cracking ground. If it could have the right pitch and stands and lighting, it is in a great location (ok, some local residents wouldn't agree with this, but I'm sure the local bars and restaurants would be happy with us being there). Murrayfield is a bit bleak and windswept, but Raeburn Place is enclosed by housing and feels like it's right in the city. Can't see it happening, but if done correctly it would have a lot of pluses.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum