Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

All International, District, Premiership, Top 14, Super Rugby and other rugby chat

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:54 am

Bhatti, Dell, Sutherland
Brown, McInally, Turner
Berghan, Fagerson, Nel
Craig, Cummings, Gilchrist, Gray, Toolis
Bradbury, Crosbie, DuPreez, Gordon, Haining, Ritchie, Watson
Horne, Price, Pyrgos
Hastings, Russell
Harris, Hutchinson, Johnson, Jones, Scott
Graham, Maitland, McGuigan, Steyn, Tagive
Hogg, Kinghorn

Nae Bennett, I haven't seen Craig play but I heard good things. CDP back from the scrap yard! Great to see Crosbie in there.

We have 12 forrits in that group, the Embra games are going to be tough during this period.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: Your 2020 6N-Winning Squad

Postby BigD163 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:02 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Bhatti, Dell, Sutherland
Brown, McInally, Turner
Berghan, Fagerson, Nel
Craig, Cummings, Gilchrist, Gray, Toolis
Bradbury, Crosbie, DuPreez, Gordon, Haining, Ritchie, Watson
Horne, Price, Pyrgos
Hastings, Russell
Harris, Hutchinson, Johnson, Jones, Scott
Graham, Maitland, McGuigan, Steyn, Tagive
Hogg, Kinghorn

Nae Bennett, I haven't seen Craig play but I heard good things. CDP back from the scrap yard! Great to see Crosbie in there.

We have 12 forrits in that group, the Embra games are going to be tough during this period.

Bennett is against other 13s in form so it is a tough one.

No Fagerson a surprise, no Wilson a pleasant surprise.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:08 pm

Interesting selections

Feels like more ball carriers in the backrow with DuPreez, Haining, Crosbie whether any get game time remains to be seen but front foot ball has been an issue all decent link/ball handlers as well. Bit tough on Fagerson who has not really done anything wrong.

Centres, no Bennett which is maybe a bit suprising, Jones run of form just at the right time for him. Centre selection does give options as to style of play though, as does back 5 of pack….maybe Toonie is learning and evolving after all.

Edit
We've put a bigger emphasis on form as a guide for our selection, with those picked backed to go out and grab their opportunity," Townsend added.

What was previous criteria then?

Edit edit

"Gray and Thomson are currently out of action with head injuries, while Fagerson has a fractured rib. Head coach Gregor Townsend said he is hopeful that all three will come into contention later in the championship. Harlequins utility-back James Lang has been ruled out with a toenailed hamstring."
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:36 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Interesting selections

Feels like more ball carriers in the backrow with DuPreez, Haining, Crosbie whether any get game time remains to be seen but front foot ball has been an issue all decent link/ball handlers as well. Bit tough on Fagerson who has not really done anything wrong.

Centres, no Bennett which is maybe a bit suprising, Jones run of form just at the right time for him. Centre selection does give options as to style of play though, as does back 5 of pack….maybe Toonie is learning and evolving after all.

Edit
We've put a bigger emphasis on form as a guide for our selection, with those picked backed to go out and grab their opportunity," Townsend added.

What was previous criteria then?

Edit edit

"Gray and Thomson are currently out of action with head injuries, while Fagerson has a fractured rib. Head coach Gregor Townsend said he is hopeful that all three will come into contention later in the championship. Harlequins utility-back James Lang has been ruled out with a toenailed hamstring."

The world cup Toonie clearly went with experience and who he could trust. That was shown to be the wrong choice 20 minutes into the tournament.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:19 pm

Here are the ins and outs for the Scotland squad named for the Six Nations compared to the selection for the RWC in Japan.

Also a look at how the conveyor belt for the future looks with a Depth Chart by age.

https://wp.me/p68WtH-8kI
disco
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 pm

Nothing shocking, pretty much everyone who deserves to be called up was. Bennett must have been close, but his defence has been an issue this season, and Jones/Hutchinson have earned it ahead of him.

The only real disappointment is emphasising how shallow the pool of players is, Tagive? Haining? Nothing against them, but they're not even benching at their clubs and they're in the Scotland squad, really shows the massive challenge any coach would have going up against the other 6N teams.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:42 pm

Match preview part 1 for Ireland v Scotland.

- The scale of the task facing Scotland;
- How they were kicked to death last time round;
- And the unlucky (for Scotland) ref in charge.

https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2020/01/ireland-v-scotland-six-nations-2020-match-preview-pt-i/
disco
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:32 pm

Scotland

Hogg, capt (Exeter Chiefs); Maitland (Saracens), Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Johnson (Glasgow Warriors), Kinghorn (Edinburgh); Hastings (Glasgow Warriors), Price (Glasgow Warriors); Sutherland (Edinburgh), Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Z Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors); Cummings (Glasgow Warriors), J Gray (Glasgow Warriors); J Ritchie (Edinburgh), Watson (Edinburgh), Haining (Edinburgh).

Replacements: McInally (Edinburgh), Dell (London Irish), Berghan (Edinburgh), Toolis (Edinburgh), Du Preez (Worcester Warriors), G Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Hutchinson (Northampton Saints), Harris (Gloucester).
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:57 pm

As I was saying over bye, I’d have liked to have seen Crosbie in the 23, other than that, all things considered it’s probably the best we can put out this week, no real controversies
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:41 pm

Quite like that.Gone for form at prop so no Nel and Dell on bench.Haining could be a real dark horse.
Would have preferred Matt Scott but with Russell out can understand Townend keen to keep the Glasgow centres together.
Obviously a risk with Hutchison covering 10 and 12.Not sure if Harris needed as Hutchison is probably best at 13 but only other option was Tagive or Steyn so he's opted for experience.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:04 pm

Bit surprised to see Haining there but Bradbury is injured apparently. It's going to be quite the step up for him.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 pm

Big test for Haining but he will give 100%, will not flinch in contact and carry the ball back into their defence all day long. I think he will do ok. Just a bit worried about our flaky 9 and 10 - they will be targeted relentlessly by the Irish back row and Aki. Lets see if their up to it.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:12 pm

Not sure having four of the front five from Glasgow is a great idea. It’s normally the area I expect Edinburgh to do well in when we play them.
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:55 pm

Makes you wonder what Townsend was watching when we mullered them up front at Murrayfield! I'm a huge Sutherland fan but he's had very little game time and I fear the Irish front 5 may have ours for breakfast.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:28 am

doedin wrote:Big test for Haining but he will give 100%, will not flinch in contact and carry the ball back into their defence all day long. I think he will do ok.

Also, at least he's an actual 8, which is an improvement on playing Wilson there.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Next

Return to All other rugby chat