Challenge cup QF Sat 19th 1230

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Challenge cup QF Sat 19th 1230

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:57 am

Another chance at knockout rugby which i am assuming is going ahead.

I would start Crosbie at 6 and pyrgos comes in if fit other than that a chance for redemption for the others.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Challenge cup QF Sat 19th 1230

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:14 am

I had totally forgotten about this.

I would agree with the redemption point. This is going to be tough, being at home BB will take it seriously I think. The only chink of light is they don't have Redrada any more, but then we don't have Scott so both have lost their best centre.

Jamie Ritchie might be ready to start, I just don't like seeing Bradbury and Bill in the same back row, Crosbie or Ritchie for me, with either Bradbury or Bill. Haining not getting a look in, but we played some of our best rugby wiuth him in the team last season.

I would be tempted to give Taylor a run instead of Dean, I just think he offers more in attack. Groom has been playing quite well, so happy for him to start again.

We wont have to worry about the pressure of being favourites this week!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:18 pm

I'd go

Sutherland, Rambo, WP, BBT, Gilcho, Ritchie, Mish, BBM

Groom, JvdW, DvdM, Dean, Bennett, Darcy, Kinghorn

Willemse, Schoey, Bergs, Davidson, Haining, Taylor, Shiel, Chamberlain.

There is nothing extraordinary in there, but there aren't many close calls, tbh, except perhaps in the backrow and it's a real toss up between Haining, Crosbie and Bradbury for the bench, but for me Ritchie has to start if he is good to go.
Maybe Carmichael will be available, I hope so.

I'd be tempted to start Henry P if he's fit, but gut lets get Charlie Shiel up to speed at this level, I see very little point in having Groom and Pyrgos in the 23.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:21 pm

The redemption stuff should be punted. It's the same stuff Edinburgh had for years. No consequences for poor performance. Would be nice bto win this, but better to set some markers again about earning the shirt. Gilchrist should bench, Willemse found a nice tv to watch it on (not just for that pen, he is pretty awful all round)
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:33 pm

joe soap wrote:The redemption stuff should be punted. It's the same stuff Edinburgh had for years. No consequences for poor performance. Would be nice bto win this, but better to set some markers again about earning the shirt. Gilchrist should bench, Willemse found a nice tv to watch it on (not just for that pen, he is pretty awful all round)

Gilchrist got a kicking from some after the Ulster game, I thought the criticism was over the top. He wasn't flawless in his game, but the biggest problem, imo, was the lack of leadership, for which he as a senior pro in the side has to shoulder some of the blame.

The problem is who do you replace him with in the search for that leadership?
Davidson, Hodgson or maybe Carmichael are the options, potentially Fraz.

Willemse isn't "pretty awful all round", that is just nonsense.

Having said that, I'd like to see Ashman back up at Edinburgh full time, also, just give Jamie Ritchie the captaincy.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:23 pm

Live coverage is on BT Sport 3 from 12.15pm on Saturday.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 pm

I wouldn't be unhappy to see Haining and Crosbie start (and George Taylor).
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:49 pm

Cockerill as honest as ever about last week

Maybe against Ulster when we were expected to win and we got ourselves in front we, for want of a better word, sh1t the bed and we ended up with what we got.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 am

Good to know he has kept you on as an advisor Biffer!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:19 am

Not good news on Carmichael and McKenzie

"Cockerill also confirmed that South African lock Andries Ferreira is a player he is looking at bringing to Edinburgh on a short-term deal, despite a recruitment freeze being in place throughout Scottish Rugby.

“We’re a little bit short in the second-row with injuries,” he explained. “Fraser McKenzie is out for several months with a dislocated shoulder, and we’ve got some issues with Lewis Carmichael with concussion, and my best guess would be that in a few weeks’ time we’re going to lose two locks [Grant Gilchrist and Ben Toolis] to international duty for eight weeks. So, we’re looking at some options there to give us some cover, and Ferreira is one of those options along with many others."
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:57 am

Worrying about Carmichael.Didn't he have a pretty long spell out with concussion about a year ago so if this has recurred not good for him? (and by the same token seem to recall Mackenzie at least once-possibly twice?- being out for several months with a shoulder issue before).
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:15 pm

liveinhope wrote:Worrying about Carmichael.Didn't he have a pretty long spell out with concussion about a year ago so if this has recurred not good for him? (and by the same token seem to recall Mackenzie at least once-possibly twice?- being out for several months with a shoulder issue before).

Yes Carmichael had concussion then did ACL (I think) in training so had lengthy enforced break so if concussion reoccurring that is a concern.

Mackenzie has had numerous knocks shoulders/back plus probably an extra decade of playing v Carmichael.

Two good players that would have likely played significant roles this season. Hope both recover to play again.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:07 pm

No news on Scottish re - signing Alex Toolis yet afaik . . . .
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:03 pm

Schoey, Rambo, Bergs, BBT, Gilcho, Ritchie, Mish, BB

Shiel! vdW, Hoyland, Taylor, JJ, Darcy, Kinghorn

Wilemse, Sutherland, McCallum, Davidson, Maggie, Haining, Nutton, Dean.

6/2 bench, no Duhan, no Groom or Pyrgos
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:06 pm

times like this you wish Shiel had been given more game time/starts. Big chance for him.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum