Edinburgh squad 2020-21

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh squad 2020-21

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:04 pm

I thought generally the age profile of our back row was on the young side, but maybe we should be complaining about our old journeymen, Hamish Watson and Bill Mata.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:16 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Need to remember Ritchie, Crosbie and Miller are only 24, Bradbury 25 it is not like Darge, Boyle and Muncaster were losing out to 30ish year olds it is guys 3-4 years older than them that they need to be competing with.

Edinburgh backrow is tough to break into, what is good to see is the likes of Muncaster and Boyle playing well (and Darge at Glasgow) when given a chance. Perhaps this season training and S&C full time with ER squad rather than playing Super6 may be of benefit going into next season and beyond.

Good point.

In fact I'm pretty happy about the age profiles of the pack, in the second row Sykes has looked very good, along with Hodgson. Davidson is away isn't he?
Harrison definitely looks the part, he's a very exciting young hooker.

We still have the problem of props, or lack of them
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:25 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Need to remember Ritchie, Crosbie and Miller are only 24, Bradbury 25 it is not like Darge, Boyle and Muncaster were losing out to 30ish year olds it is guys 3-4 years older than them that they need to be competing with.

Edinburgh backrow is tough to break into, what is good to see is the likes of Muncaster and Boyle playing well (and Darge at Glasgow) when given a chance. Perhaps this season training and S&C full time with ER squad rather than playing Super6 may be of benefit going into next season and beyond.

Good point.

In fact I'm pretty happy about the age profiles of the pack, in the second row Sykes has looked very good, along with Hodgson. Davidson is away isn't he?
Harrison definitely looks the part, he's a very exciting young hooker.

We still have the problem of props, or lack of them

Davidson is away and I don't think we'll miss him with Hodgson and Sykes coming through.

I thought Sykes looked a bit off the pace of senior rugby in his first couple of appearances but this run of starts has done him good and he certainly has the physical attributes.

Harrison is a real prospect, doesn't look out of place at all despite his young age. Just needs to spend the hours working on his throwing.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:56 pm

Got Glen Young and Pierce Philips coming in at 2nd row both a bit older and remains to be seen if Carmichael returns to playing. Updated squad with the 3 debutants from the weekend who i am assuming will still be around next season.

1 – P Schoeman // R Sutherland // Boan Venter* // Sam Grahamslaw //
2 - Stuart McInally // Dave Cherry // Adam McBurney* // Patrick Harrison
3 - WP Nel // Luan DeBruin*// Murray McCallum (tbc)// Lee-Roy Atalifo //
4 - Ben Toolis // Lewis Carmichael (tbc) // Marshall Sykes// Pierce Philips*
5 - Grant Gilchrist // Glen Young* // Jamie Hodgson //
6 – Jamie Ritchie // Nick Haining // Mesulame Kunavula // Harri Morris
7 - Hamish Watson // Luke Crosbie // Connor Boyle
8 – Viliame Mata // Magnus Bradbury // Ben Muncaster
9 – Henry Pyrgos // Ben Vellacott* // Charlie Shiel //
10 - Jaco van der Walt // Nathan Chamberlain // Charlie Savala //
11 - Freddie Owsley* // Jamie Farndale (?) // Jack Blain //
12 - Chris Dean // George Taylor // James Lang* // Cammy Hutchison
13 - Mark Bennett // James Johnstone (tbc) // Jordan Venter // Matt Currie
14 - Darcy Graham // Eroni Sau (tbc) // Henry Immlemann* //
15 - Blair Kinghorn // Damien Hoyland // Harry Paterson

New Signings*

Boan Venter
Adam McBurney
Luan DeBruin
Glen Young
Pierce Philips
Ben Vellacott
Freddie Owsley
James Lang
Henry Immlemann

Status tbc - i think we have - McCallum, Carmichael, Johnstone and Sau

Farndale - i thought he signed fulltime to ER but is he back with 7s possibly for Olympics just now?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:44 pm

My point has never once been critical of the players though other than say Darge has put in performances at least on a par with Crosbie and Bradbury this year.

I don't believe this Edinburgh squad has been put together efficiently. I think (hope) I made the point before that resource management is the issue. There continues to be far more greater sums of money invested in the forwards than the backs, which will always be the case but I would bet the discrepancy is greater than elsewhere in the league.

When we have Kunavula, Bradbury and Crosbie who can play 6, was Haining a priority resigning? Could that money have been better spent elsewhere? There is no reason to treat Muncaster and Boyle as a 3rd tier in the squad, with coaching and game time there is no reason at all they couldn't be pushing the back ups to JR/HW/BM.

Edit: IIRC there was a rumour there will be 3 less league games next year so it is more likely there will be fewer international clashes with Proxx fixtures.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:57 pm

In some ways I'm not a fan of the SRU resource juggling between the squads but Haining would have been a good addition for Glasgow and would have saved them bringing Dempsey over from Australia.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:30 pm

BigD163 wrote:I don't believe this Edinburgh squad has been put together efficiently. I think (hope) I made the point before that resource management is the issue. There continues to be far more greater sums of money invested in the forwards than the backs, which will always be the case but I would bet the discrepancy is greater than elsewhere in the league.

But i think that has been through necessity at ER (article from March perhaps gives some better insight than i can :) ) the balance is changing a bit now as likes of Berghan moves to Glasgow and we bring in Lang.

Other factor is that i think in the forwards we have often got a lot out of squad players Cherry and Haining for example were never signed with a view to them being internationals but both have played very well. We used to lose only one or two backs now we lose our whole back 3 at least so money needs spent on backs depth. I dont envy trying to recruit for ER/GW with all the caveats of SQ v NSQ, developing internationals, keeping pro team competitive throughout season, bringing through academy.

Think our biggest issue is not the squad make up but how the game plan they are sent out with.

The arms race - The XV
Jamie Lyall
5th Mar 2021
The XV

Jan McGinity starts by letting us in on a little secret.

“When I was at Leicester looking at Scottish players in the context of a new £5m Premiership salary cap, I couldn’t afford to pay them the levels they pay in Scotland now, let alone on top.”

This, from the Tigers’ recently departed recruitment supremo, is striking. Since the dawn of professionalism, Scotland has been cast as the miserly urchin of the north, unable or unwilling to spend in line with the demands of the elite game, forever bringing a water-pistol to a gunfight in the frenzied arms race for talent.

The worry, as Covid-19 ravaged the sport, was that Scottish Rugby would lose a great swathe of its out-of-contract behemoths. It is routinely caned for failing to replace the big boys who go, but seldom praised when it opens the chequebook and keeps them put. As rugby gasps beneath the austere strain of coronavirus, the Premiership salary cap plummets, and wages across the game shrivel, it is showing the colour of its money.

Hamish Watson, Jamie Ritchie and Bill Mata have been retained on significant contracts, some twice over. Adam Hastings was made a very competitive offer to stay with Glasgow, before choosing Gloucester. Even Huw Jones, back in 2019, was paid around £230,000 a year when Leicester were sniffing around.

“Those top Scottish players are well remunerated,” McGinity tells TheXV. “A few of them will get the majority of their commercial opportunities in Scotland, because Jonny Gray, Stuart Hogg and Finn Russell aren’t there.

“Scotland, to be fair, where they’ve had to, have paid. They sometimes don’t get the credit they are due for actually paying market value for players. I was surprised to see how well-paid some guys were when I went through the books. They would be on similar money in the Premiership. They made sure they were competitive.

“Jonny has now gone but in retaining him the first time round. Finn and Hoggy were well-paid. Finn is different because France is completely bananas, but Hoggy is probably on 20% extra at Exeter. It’s not life-changing sums but he needed to do it to kick his game on and that’s been illustrated recently.”

McGinity was at the heart of these Murrayfield machinations. For three years, he worked as the governing body’s head of sports operations, overseeing recruitment, scouting, player development and retention. Often, he was involved in compiling packages to entice players to stay at Edinburgh and Glasgow.

“If you’re a nailed-on starter for the national team, there is a far higher potential to get injured by moving away because you’ll still be expected to play for your club on international fallow weekends,” McGinity says. “You might get a bit more money but it will be to the detriment of your career.

“That short-term uplift of 20% – if you’re extending your career by two or three years, are you better off? Is your wife better off if she’s away from Scotland? It might be the best cultural decision from a family perspective to go to another part of the world, but if you’ve got a support network and all of your family around you at home, it’s a big decision to make.”

But you cannot clutch a Finn Russell forever, no matter how vast a salary you pay him. You cannot confine a Stuart Hogg or Jonny Gray to Glasgow when their brilliance demands a move to a bigger team with grander opportunities. At Racing 92 and Exeter Chiefs, each has flourished and brought back their gains to Scotland. Diversity of experience and culture is to be embraced.

And besides, you cannot hoard all of these riches in Scotland while continuing to expose youngsters to professional rugby and field competitive sides during Test windows.

“Those higher-profile individuals probably need a step away just to get better,” McGinity says. “That creates gaps in the two pro-teams, but it also means they can take on a different experience and make hay while they can. It’s great seeing them bringing that experience of performing in highly successful teams back to the national team. That’s as much to do with the success of the national team as the good coaching and players coming through.

“It would kill Scotland if they ever did a minimum-cap rule, because I just don’t think on a financial level they can compete with the biggest spenders. The way they’ve stayed open-minded to letting guys go, looking at Scottish-qualified guys in other countries, looking at overseas players. With that small player pool, you have to be open-minded, and as much as they get criticised, I don’t think they could do anything differently than they currently are.”

It is here that Scotland’s shot-callers must perform an almighty balancing act. The two pro-teams must be successful entities, or why would fans bother paying to watch them, why would anybody non-Scottish sign for them, and why would coaches of the calibre of Danny Wilson and Richard Cockerill come north to lead them?

But as the primary feeder for Gregor Townsend, they must generate Test-capable Scotland players. In short, you need a huge contingent of Scottish internationals, a smattering of overseas nous, some young bucks burning up the ranks, and a few Scottish-qualified additions from other environments.

“Say you’re Edinburgh, where you’ve got a budget of £6-6.5m, or whatever they’re operating off now, you’ve pretty much got an entire pack with the national team and several backs,” McGinity, who previously spent four years in charge of Worcester’s recruitment, explains. “You’re almost having to sign an entire team to play.

“But those 14 or 15 guys with the national team have just taken up two thirds of your budget. The hardest bit is making the last third work to put a competitive team on the pitch for 10-12 games of the season.

“If two big players come out of contract at the same time, one would often have to take a hit and inherit the other’s contract. John Barclay leaves and probably Jamie Ritchie takes his contract. It’s having a firm idea of what that succession planning looks like. How do you fill the spots? That’s the tough thing. Look at, say, Jack Blain. He could eventually replace Blair Kinghorn who might stay two more years. Even Blair now is being paid, probably, market value.”

So how do you replace these Scottish galacticos, when you do not have the bulging wallet of a Top 14 president? McGinity encourages Scotland to box clever, to scour smaller nations in Europe, scout the Pacific Islands or America, even take a look at Namibia and Russia.

Scott Johnson was a hugely divisive figure as Murrayfield’s director of rugby, but on his watch, enormous reams of intelligence were gathered.

“One of the things Johnno did very well was to create a very comprehensive database through a lot of the analysts,” McGinity says. “It is a way of accessing data so we could see, for example, who were the top 20 ball-carriers in the world, who was making the most line breaks. From a technology point of view, we were ahead of the game.

“But Scotland can be quite a culture shift from what people are used to. I put a lot of weight, and this is quite old-school, in actually meeting people. Because if you’re potentially spending 5% of your budget on one individual, he has pretty much got to be the benchmark of your culture. He’s got to be there while the internationals are away.

“We talk about making sure the players bring what they’ve learned with them, recognise they might not be eligible for international rugby anymore, but that this team is going to be their new home and they’ve got to get on the bus and help take them forward.

“There are better people than me to judge them from a coaching perspective, but I can find out character, culturally and leadership-wise what they’re like. Say, if I’m spending £250-300k, I want a leader. I don’t want someone coming here, taking the money and leaving as soon as they can after training. I want them out in the community, working with kids, visiting schools, leading form the front, taking pride on how they’re going to take that team forward.”

The challenge for McGinity was in making a key decision, with huge sporting and financial implications, quickly. For all of the data and numbers and spreadsheets, the solution is unmistakeably rugby: get the beers in.

“Whether this is right or wrong, I’ll always have a drink with them. I’ve seen quite a lot of players that can go very quickly awry on a glass of wine or a couple of beers. You want to actually see them in a relaxed environment but also where they’re not necessarily going to be judged.

“I have to meet the partner. That’s a given. Because if they’re not happy at home, they’re never going to be happy at home with that individual in another country. That’s their immediate support network from a mental perspective, or if they get injured.

“The bright lights of a certain city might favour some but be a distraction for others. A player might be outstanding for our team if the game was played on a sunny pitch 20 times a season, but it’s not always like that in the UK, is it?

“When you’re spending those sums of money and it’s an investment in an individual and what they bring off the field as well, you can’t afford to get it wrong. There are a lot of statistics and technology, but sometimes you have got to go with your gut.”

In the here and now, the game is fraught with strife. The market may not have changed much for the very best players, but for the overwhelming majority in the cluttered middle tier, contracts are scarce, packages smaller, and prospects grim. These feel like seminal times in how recruitment functions and how player movement will look in the years ahead.

“Transfer fees will come into it a lot more,” McGinity says. “Budget-wise, the effect of Covid across all leagues, salaries have only gone one way historically and now they’ll come back down.

“There will be a lot more assessment of medical data because injuries are becoming so much more prevalent. Concussion is a massive concern. I was getting to the point where I’d look at how many concussions a player had, and that would almost have as great an influence as any other injury around whether you take them or not.

“I was planning 18-24 months out of long-term deals knowing where the gap in the squad was going to be. There will be more succession planning and looking at players who might want to move further down the line.

“Because of the potential reduction in player wages, you’ve got to look at things we can offer outside of pure salary that will be an attraction. I am a massive believer in players having things outside of rugby – following a vocation, getting a tertiary qualification, and looking how as a business we can support them. If they have aspirations to get into the media, can we get in touch with sponsors who work in their chosen field?

“Somewhere like Leicester with a large commercial team and great sponsors, that doesn’t cost anything. The sponsor thinks they’ve got a great relationship with a first-team player they can utilise, and the player is getting a level of interaction in a business they’d never be able to normally, say speaking to a CEO or MD. That gives a sense of belonging and they might stay beyond their initial contract. People are going to have to look for an edge off the field, and utilise data or anything not financial, because ultimately the Premiership won’t be the biggest spenders.”

It’s still an arms race, alright, but the weaponry is changing.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:34 pm

BigD163 wrote:

My point has never once been critical of the players though other than say Darge has put in performances at least on a par with Crosbie and Bradbury this year.

I don't believe this Edinburgh squad has been put together efficiently. I think (hope) I made the point before that resource management is the issue. There continues to be far more greater sums of money invested in the forwards than the backs, which will always be the case but I would bet the discrepancy is greater than elsewhere in the league.

When we have Kunavula, Bradbury and Crosbie who can play 6, was Haining a priority resigning? Could that money have been better spent elsewhere? There is no reason to treat Muncaster and Boyle as a 3rd tier in the squad, with coaching and game time there is no reason at all they couldn't be pushing the back ups to JR/HW/BM.

Edit: IIRC there was a rumour there will be 3 less league games next year so it is more likely there will be fewer international clashes with Proxx fixtures.

It's very possible Haining had no offers and the SRU will keep anyone in the Scotland set up with a contract.

I think the interesting contract renewals are Bradbury and Crosbie. Both should have absolutely no interest in staying here as second choice.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:27 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:the balance is changing a bit now as likes of Berghan moves to Glasgow and we bring in Lang.

But it isn't quite that simple is it? Berghan has been replaced by De Bruin, who will be cheaper but still not cheap. Young has come in for Davidson and will likely be on more given how much second rows are on these days. It wouldn't be a huge surprise if Young and Lang are closer together in salary than many would think.

Vellacott and Lang probably aren't on that different a combined salary than Groom and Duhan are/were on.

The Feral Goat wrote:
Think our biggest issue is not the squad make up but how the game plan they are sent out with.

I think that is a cycle that there needs to be a willingness to break. The game plan plays to the squads strength (to the point there is no plan B) and the squad is recruited to play to that game plan and so on and so on. I think the first issue is the coaching staff but I know others disagree. I also know they are people with families and so on but this is the sharp end of pro sports.

That article is good and we know it isn't easy. This part caught my eye:
“But those 14 or 15 guys with the national team have just taken up two thirds of your budget. The hardest bit is making the last third work to put a competitive team on the pitch for 10-12 games of the season.

“If two big players come out of contract at the same time, one would often have to take a hit and inherit the other’s contract. John Barclay leaves and probably Jamie Ritchie takes his contract. It’s having a firm idea of what that succession planning looks like. How do you fill the spots? That’s the tough thing. Look at, say, Jack Blain. He could eventually replace Blair Kinghorn who might stay two more years. Even Blair now is being paid, probably, market value.”

The easiest way to make that budget work is by giving the younger academy/early year pro guys games. Right now Hodgson, Muncaster, Currie and Boyle etc are as low cost as they will ever be.

The second paragraph above is interesting. Barclay was pretty much done and as sad to say not a real loss given the others in the squad. In the semi recent past Glasgow have lost a second row, two 10s and a 15 where it was a case of not being able to meet their market value. We haven't really had key players leaving, Scott went because the staff weren't willing to meet that value. Perhaps that has been an issue, continually being able to just afford to retain the big players eats into the budget elsewhere. I fear that by paying as well as SRU does that some players get caught in a comfort zone and don't reach their full potential. Kinghorn and Bradbury are two that spring to mind. Gilchrist is probably another but injuries hampered him a lot.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:18 pm

Lang might be cheaper than expected I think. If he's Quins second choice 12 without EQP value and called up by Scotland a few months of the year how valuable is he.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:45 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Lang might be cheaper than expected I think. If he's Quins second choice 12 without EQP value and called up by Scotland a few months of the year how valuable is he.

I reckon the SRU would make a reasonable offer for a player that they've persuaded to declare for Scotland though. Otherwise they are basically telling players down south that playing for Scotland involves taking a pay cut.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:10 pm

The Incredible Shug wrote:A nice way to spin you handing us your castoffs... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It was a glib response to the suggestion (usually confined to Glasgow forums) that 'sending' players along the M8 is a one-way street.

The Incredible Shug wrote:They're all second-string players!

It would be a bit bizarre if the pro teams were moving out their first choice players.

The Incredible Shug wrote:Townsend didn't want Bennett (who's done well despite a string of injuries),

Nothing to do with Townsend - Bennett was his first choice 13 until Mark got injured. It was Rennie's squad that was being contracted when the change came. Bennett was moved on after Huw Jones chose Glasgow and there wasn't room for both of them.

The Incredible Shug wrote:Pyrgos was being phased out for Price,

Pyrgos had already been 'phased out' for Price. The issue was in his final season he was also being 'phased out' for Horne as well. His options were 3rd choice at Glasgow or 1st choice at Edinburgh. He's the one that has at least stuck it out in the capital - but all the Edinburgh fans seem to hate him despite him box kicking you to a brace of European quarter-finals and the top of Conference B.

The Incredible Shug wrote:Bhatti was playing for Ayr most of his final season,

Bhatti played 2 games for Ayr early in the season when there were Warriors' games on. He played 20 times for Glasgow in 2018-19. Immediately before he moved to Edinburgh he started in the PRO14 playoff semi-final and final.

The Incredible Shug wrote:Weir had a horrific injury.

He missed 4 months of his second season with Edinburgh.

The Incredible Shug wrote:They may be "experienced Pro14 players and internationals", but so were Phil Godman and Simon Danielli.

Not sure what the relevance is here? Particularly of Danielli who didn't play for either Edinburgh or Glasgow. Unless you're trying to imply that a guy who played 180+ club games, scored nearly 59 tries and played 32 times for Scotland was some kind of disastrously poor player.

The Incredible Shug wrote:It's a distortion of the truth to fill a Weegie narrative.

There is no 'narrative'. No-one's controlling what's being said here. This is just a (vanishingly small) number of people talking pish about rugby on the internet.

The Incredible Shug wrote:You've just signed and releases massive swathes of players.

Relevance to players moving between the pro teams?

The Incredible Shug wrote:Half your exciting new youngsters are from overseas anyway!

Relevance to players moving between the pro teams?

The Incredible Shug wrote:The second we got some decent recruitment - for the first time in a bloody blue moon - the Glasgow fanbase was pure foamin with allegations of favouritism.

Which I also called out when it happened.

The Incredible Shug wrote:Yet you feel that getting great young prospects is the rough end of the deal???? Nack off wae that nonsense.

Where did I say it was the rough end of the deal? Glasgow and Edinburgh get what they need or can make their case to the players for within their budget. Having identified the players to bring in, it's then up to them to make the most of what they've got.

The Incredible Shug wrote:Darge playing well for you isn't a miracle you should pat your backs for, it's barely been a month he's been there.

Darge was always going to be a Scotland player - as is Boyle. (Which is why they should have been split up straight out of the Academy instead of wasting the best part of a season with them both behind Scotland's first and second choice opensides.) Glasgow have certainly had a positive influence on players like Brown, Allan, Turner, Jones for example. There's plenty of other players who have come in from other clubs that the Warriors' haven't been able to get the best out of. But it does still make an amusing counterpoint...

The Incredible Shug wrote:Instead point your finger at Edinburgh's coaches, a matter the fans have no say in.

Done that plenty thanks.

The Incredible Shug wrote:THEY could pick these exciting players, and we want them to. But they don't. It's foolish to tie that to club identity,

I wasn't aware I had done that.

The Incredible Shug wrote:not that you'll care so long as you can jab at Edinburgh with a pompous tone like that. :boo: :boo:

Honestly, I despair...
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:36 am

I think you got as good as you gave, Disco.

It was probably best left at that.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:06 pm

disco wrote:
macdone wrote:I thought Darge was motm against Leinster, he's outstanding. Ross Thompson is another Edinburgh player we should have kept. R McLean too. If we're sending players along the M8 we should be asking for the same back - it's 7 of their current squad and Berghan about to join them this summer. I'd take Dobie for starters.

The deal is, broadly speaking, that you send us unproven kids and players who can barely get a game and we turn them into Scotland players; in return, we send you experienced PRO14 players and internationals and you completely waste them.

I'm not blaming Glasgow, it's up to ourselves. I'd have kept Darge over Bradbury and Crosbie. I'd take McLean over Blain personally and Ross Thompson over Chamberlain but that's a matter of opinion!

But I do think Jamie Dobie should come and play here. He's number 3 for Glasgow but would quickly become number 1 here.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:44 pm

:(
macdone wrote:
disco wrote:
macdone wrote:I thought Darge was motm against Leinster, he's outstanding. Ross Thompson is another Edinburgh player we should have kept. R McLean too. If we're sending players along the M8 we should be asking for the same back - it's 7 of their current squad and Berghan about to join them this summer. I'd take Dobie for starters.

The deal is, broadly speaking, that you send us unproven kids and players who can barely get a game and we turn them into Scotland players; in return, we send you experienced PRO14 players and internationals and you completely waste them.

I'm not blaming Glasgow, it's up to ourselves. I'd have kept Darge over Bradbury and Crosbie. I'd take McLean over Blain personally and Ross Thompson over Chamberlain but that's a matter of opinion!

But I do think Jamie Dobie should come and play here. He's number 3 for Glasgow but would quickly become number 1 here.

Number 3 for now - is Price going to sign another contract? Only a matter of time before Dobie surpasses Horne.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum