Players Out of Contract

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Players Out of Contract

Postby Rico on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:26 am

Since it was mentioned on the John Hardie thread, does anyone have a list of who’s out of contract at the end of this season ?

From a quick glance at the ER website, it looks like the following are/may be (not sure about those marked with * – Du Preez in particular, since there was no announcement about him):

Dickinson
Nel
Andress
Berghan
Cochrane
Hilterbrand * (WC cover I believe ?)
McKenzie
B. Toolis
A. Toolis *
Grant
Coman
Du Preez *
Denton
SHC
Fowles
Kennedy
Burleigh
Scott
Beard
Katoa
Brown
Cuthbert *
McLennan

Would be great if we could hang on to most/all of them but Dickinson, Nel, B. Toolis, Denton, SHC and Scott are musts in terms of resignings. Would love Du Preez, Brown and Burleigh to stay too.

EDIT: Couple more added to the list - Andress, Berghan, Kennedy, Fowles and McLennan
Last edited by Rico on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rico
World Cup Star

Re: Players Out of Contract

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:07 pm

A lot of important players in there.

If we want to kick on we will need most of them to do that. Hope Jonny P has this all under control!

Would think Nel and Denton will have caught the eye at the WC. Nel in particular would have huge earning potential in France and England.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Denton was turning down offers from England last time his contract was up, apparently. Will be even harder to hold on to him this time.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:10 pm

Du Preez will presumably stay until he's SQ a few months after his contract ends.

Winning teams find it easier to hold on to players. Just saying.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:43 pm

zt1903 wrote:Du Preez will presumably stay until he's SQ a few months after his contract ends.

Winning teams find it easier to hold on to players. Just saying.

Not sure exactly when Du Preez' contract ends but if he wants to play international rugby for anyone other then the Boks, he isn't going anywhere anytime soon (unless it's to Glasgow). He is going to have to stay in the SRU "programme" if he is to establish himself as a Scottish international back-row in my opinion, so we can probably relax a bit on him (for now). He's a must keep, as is Denton!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:41 pm

From the list above:

Must keep:
Dickinson
Nel
du Preez
Denton
SHC
Burleigh
Scott

Most of the other players we'd want to retain are unlikely to be getting major offers elsewhere, like Berghan and the Toolis'.

The let gos:
Cochrane (fairly harsh, but between Ford/McInally the top two slots are locked down and the third place is better given to an up and coming player like Turner IMO)
Hilterbrand
Coman
McLennan

too early to say for the others.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Ford and McInally are both likely to be involved with Scotland a good deal, so there's room for both Cochrane and Turner.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:39 pm

Frenchy wrote:Ford and McInally are both likely to be involved with Scotland a good deal, so there's room for both Cochrane and Turner.

Absolutely.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby take five on Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:44 pm

I'd say keeping the front row intact is a priority.So, Nel and Dickinson are must keeps.
Rugby is a lot like jazz..... it's best when you improvise.
take five
International

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:05 pm

Hilterbrand was only re-signed as cover for the RWC period, so his contract will end shortly
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:04 am

I didn't think it worthwhile starting another thread for this, but last night I watched the first half of the Wuss v Saints game from Friday. Tom Heathcote had an excellent half, kicking really well from the tee and from hand, he linked well and created space on at least three occasions with nice breaks, on one of which he got right in behind the Northampton defence and sent his team mate over for the try. :(

I'll watch the second half tonight.

Spilled milk now, of course.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:59 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I didn't think it worthwhile starting another thread for this, but last night I watched the first half of the Wuss v Saints game from Friday. Tom Heathcote had an excellent half, kicking really well from the tee and from hand, he linked well and created space on at least three occasions with nice breaks, on one of which he got right in behind the Northampton defence and sent his team mate over for the try. :(

I'll watch the second half tonight.

Spilled milk now, of course.

Heathcote was unlucky to be behind daddy's boy at Bath when arguably he was emerging as a competent stand-off first. Edinburgh was the wrong club at the wrong time for him.

He's still young and may yet be a decent option for Scotland.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:28 pm

Frenchy wrote:Ford and McInally are both likely to be involved with Scotland a good deal, so there's room for both Cochrane and Turner.

I wonder if mcinally will stay at hooker after the neck injury.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:35 am

I have to admit to being converted to the idea of him as a hooker although the injury must cast doubt on the idea. Unless he's scrummaging with props who are 6ft3" - 6ft4" (which he's not) then his neck will be mighty exposed.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:04 am

He didn't injure his neck in scrummaging. he did it in the gym. Doubt it'll change anything.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum