Rainbow Cup Games

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Rainbow Cup Games

Postby Martin Bell on Fri May 07, 2021 10:42 pm

Enjoyed that, despite the result and performance: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri May 07, 2021 10:47 pm

There's some young players in the back 5 of the pack says Cockerill - there's one in Jamie Hodgson. We had two young guys out their tonight. This is fake news. If you're going to say we lost because of young players actually pick young players!

I do think Hodge has to go. There's absolutely no invention and I think the players did try at bit. Chamberlain does attack the line, they did shift the ball a bit too.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri May 07, 2021 11:08 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:There's some young players in the back 5 of the pack says Cockerill - there's one in Jamie Hodgson. We had two young guys out their tonight. This is fake news. If you're going to say we lost because of young players actually pick young players!

I do think Hodge has to go. There's absolutely no invention and I think the players did try at bit. Chamberlain does attack the line, they did shift the ball a bit too.

Being pedantic Ritchie and Crosbie are similar age to Hodgson at 23/24 as well but back 5 is absolutely no excuse.

Platform was there did LawrenceBryce all with it.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri May 07, 2021 11:18 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:There's some young players in the back 5 of the pack says Cockerill - there's one in Jamie Hodgson. We had two young guys out their tonight. This is fake news. If you're going to say we lost because of young players actually pick young players!

Being pedantic Ritchie and Crosbie are similar age to Hodgson at 23/24 as well but back 5 is absolutely no excuse.

Sure age wise but it's just taking the TonySpreadbury to say "yeah started the young guys today, Crosbie who only has 50+ Edinburgh appearances and Jamie Ritchie who has been a Scotland regular since 2018. Good for those two to get some gametime". Maybe he meant Fijian international Mesu Kunavula.

I agree the platform was good and with Glasgow deciding to implode I can't believe we lost. I think our backs and attacking patterns are terrible and Glasgow wanted it more.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri May 07, 2021 11:20 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:

This is the problem more than anything, in my opinion, if we were wining and playing well no one would be roarin an greetin about ages of players, whatever the facts of the matter.

Are the players we have in the backs good enough?

At pro 14 level I'd have thought we'd have the players to compete at the business end of the season, but no, we watch dire stuff week after week and we lose.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri May 07, 2021 11:43 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

This is the problem more than anything, in my opinion, if we were wining and playing well no one would be roarin an greetin about ages of players, whatever the facts of the matter.

At pro 14 level I'd have thought we'd have the players to compete at the business end of the season, but no, we watch dire stuff week after week and we lose.

Last season we were really good and competing at the business end... It can't all have been Matt Scott can it?

It's tricky as Sau, VdM, Hoyland are all good Pro14 players. VdM is one of the best. I think the 10 and centres are a big problem, so is 9 when Pyrgos plays. Chamberlain or Savala need to be the answer at 10. I really don't think Lang will be worse than Taylor or Dean. Currie looks like he'll be very good. We'll see!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri May 07, 2021 11:58 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

Last season we were really good and competing at the business end... It can't all have been Matt Scott can it?

It's tricky as Sau, VdM, Hoyland are all good Pro14 players. VdM is one of the best. I think the 10 and centres are a big problem, so is 9 when Pyrgos plays. Chamberlain or Savala need to be the answer at 10. I really don't think Lang will be worse than Taylor or Dean. Currie looks like he'll be very good. We'll see!

No one has cut a rug for Edinburgh like Matt Scott, so that is a big part of it, it was lunacy to let him go. His line and pace have not been replicated, I've seen them try it with others, but it hasn't worked. (Incidentally I saw Leicester use him in that exact same line off the back of the linout and he cut the defence to ribbons for them too)
Dean has come the closest, he has become very good since shifting in to 12. I'd like to see him and Currie given a run.

Sau looks to have found his feet, he looks now to be pretty much a like for like replacement for vdM, but better over the ball!

I look forward to seeing more of Blain, but more than anything I hope we play some bloody rugby
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sat May 08, 2021 8:00 am

Cockerill is every bit as culpable as Hodge. It is no coincidence that every team he coaches have very similar attacking plans.

Off on a tangent, I don't want to see our Lions on the pitch the rest of the season. The rest of the season is pretty meaningless and it would be a shame to lose the chance to tour because of Rainbow Cup games.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat May 08, 2021 10:57 am

We have an attack coach! Is he furloughed?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 am

Martin Bell wrote:Enjoyed that, despite the result and performance: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports

I always look forward to these reports. It was indeed an enjoyable game, with talking points a plenty.

I assume WP is now off the oxygen ? Can't remember the last time he played 80 minutes. TBF he and Schoeman held up pretty well, but I was surprised the two played throughout.

DVDM - I know I bore about this, but once again how can you have the leagues best strike runner and not get him in the game more ? Two , three passes in total ? I'd fully accept he could and should do more in looking for work. But there was more than enough possession to get him running at angles - Cole Forbes showed how to do it. At best pretty anonymous, and didn't exactly instil confidence under the high ball. Hopefully Toonie will give him the opportunity to show his strengths.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat May 08, 2021 1:34 pm

The Chiel wrote:
Martin Bell wrote:Enjoyed that, despite the result and performance: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports

I always look forward to these reports. It was indeed an enjoyable game, with talking points a plenty.

I assume WP is now off the oxygen ? Can't remember the last time he played 80 minutes. TBF he and Schoeman held up pretty well, but I was surprised the two played throughout.

DVDM - I know I bore about this, but once again how can you have the leagues best strike runner and not get him in the game more ? Two , three passes in total ? I'd fully accept he could and should do more in looking for work. But there was more than enough possession to get him running at angles - Cole Forbes showed how to do it. At best pretty anonymous, and didn't exactly instil confidence under the high ball. Hopefully Toonie will give him the opportunity to show his strengths.

VdM looked particularly uninterested yesterday. His head is in SA.

I do agree through - and not just VdM as Kinghorn and Graham can run good lines too. Shiel runs very good support lines. Chamberlain has shown an interest in attacking the line and then Dean/Taylor/Bennett all can cut a good angle.

We achieve nothing when the players are capable of doing something.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat May 08, 2021 4:14 pm

I think the backs are all capable of playing good rugby, and running the lines, we have scored some nice tries off good first phase moves, there just appears no instruction or appetite to do it in phase play. First phase set piece or broken field we may try something otherwise pedestrian safe batter up the park or kick be it box, touch, high or just aimless.

With not even the mighty 1872 at stake next week would hope we see more ambition, would like to see Savala at 10 again, Currie if fit even Jordan Venter to get a run out
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon May 10, 2021 4:23 pm

Not sure what the plan is but I woud hope we will see more of the youngsters.

McCallum shoudl start, be good to get Rambo back in, I have no issues with the young second rows playing, along with Muncaster. I woudl guess Watson would be a swap for Ritchie. Im keen to see our Lions keep ticking over, we have seen with Sarries how players go off the boil and although there is a risk of getting injured, all 3 need to be setting thir sights on the test team, just going on tour isnt enough, they are all good enough to push further.

Hopefully Currie and Blain can come back in. Im assuming Bennet will be banned. Are Darcy and Kinghorn likely to be available? Did Darcy have an op?

Charlie Shiel shoudl come in, I like the look of Frostwick too.

I actually think we played better the week before in attack, we didnt have the likes of Mata and VDM to chuck the ball too and played more as a team. I think for too long we have relied on moments of magic from individuals to get us through.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue May 11, 2021 8:33 am

Correct Graham had shoulder/arm op

Watson was previously listed as injured assume not serious but also dont know how long he may be out for

Curries shoulder injury sounded like it may keep him out for a few weeks

Would like to see Boyle and Muncaster get more game time this week think both did well last time out. Chamberlain had a decent match and would probably benefit from another start but would also like to see some more of Savala.

It is a worthless game so would be nice if both teams gave a good number of youngsters a run mixed with a spine of established players for example Rambo is just coming back from injury so start him with McCallum and Grahamslaw...so i predict Cockerill will go full strength.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue May 11, 2021 8:37 am

Watson was listed as injured for last week, wasn't he? Whether he is fit will probably impact other selections. I'm hoping to see a minimum of 5-6 genuine development picks for this week. You don't build depth by throwing these guys in altogether, you build depth by playing them with experienced and skilled pros.

I would love to see a back-row of Crosbie, Boyle and Muncaster, but I think putting Ritchie or Watson in would help someone like Boyle. Don't get me wrong, I think Crosbie is a terrific player, but those guys are a step up at the moment.

Similarly, play Grahamslaw and McCallum with Rambo. And Sykes with Gilcho in the row. Another game for Schoey, Venter or Atalifo isn't going to help us long-term at this stage.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum