Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

Postby joe soap on Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:49 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Disappointing not to see him head back to ER but not surprised.

Solly clearly got on well with the players when he was here quite a few speak highly of him and have continued to stay in touch...pity the rugby was total SteveWalsh under his watch.

Had Solly had some players a couple of years older, had the budget and indulgence that Cockerill was given I think things would have worked out differently
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:59 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Disappointing not to see him head back to ER but not surprised.

Solly clearly got on well with the players when he was here quite a few speak highly of him and have continued to stay in touch...pity the rugby was total SteveWalsh under his watch.

Like Cockerill, Solly did steady the ship at the start of his tenure by making Edinburgh hard to beat. He was similarly unable to adapt when needed to step forward.

He is also like Cockerill in that he was inflexible. It was his way or the highway. For players who fitted with / or liked his approach he was great. A player who did not fit hated it.

It is interesting that McCallum is talked about as a tighthead in the move. Hopefully that mean he is cncentrating on that now.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:15 pm

Solomons is leaving Worcester at the end of the season, with that nice Steve Diamond already on board, and installed above Jonathan Thomas. He's nailed on to take over. So it's good to see it's a year and a half contract, which means Diamond has blessed it.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:57 pm

Antonio Bresler joining Racing 92 with immediate effect. Decent move.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:46 pm

Saw that last night, thought it a good move for the big fella.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:36 am

Cracking result for the weegies tonight. like us off the back of Sarries win both have got to back up these performances. The 1872 matches could be absolute belters...or massive disappointment
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:15 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Cracking result for the weegies tonight. like us off the back of Sarries win both have got to back up these performances. The 1872 matches could be absolute belters...or massive disappointment

I understand we just had so many back rows. But I really want to know why Darge never got a look in here.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:22 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Cracking result for the weegies tonight. like us off the back of Sarries win both have got to back up these performances. The 1872 matches could be absolute belters...or massive disappointment

I understand we just had so many back rows. But I really want to know why Darge never got a look in here.

Maybe he didn't thrive in the environment he found himself in at Edinburgh
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:28 pm

bignose wrote:

Maybe he didn't thrive in the environment he found himself in at Edinburgh

He was motm the week he joined Glasgow though. Suggests he obviously trained well before leaving and had something about him.

Cockers was clearly here too long but leaving Darge out completely considering how good he is just is crazy.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:18 pm

I think it just came down to both him and Boyle being very promising prospects and it getting to the point where we were barely going to give any gametime to one let alone both. And Boyle being preferred to keep on at the time.

Massive credit to Darge for what he's done at Glasgow, Gordon is nae bad and takes some doing to keep him out the side.

I wonder if Boyle could be as good if he had a half dozen starts.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:40 pm

JDCSR wrote:I think it just came down to both him and Boyle being very promising prospects and it getting to the point where we were barely going to give any gametime to one let alone both. And Boyle being preferred to keep on at the time.

Massive credit to Darge for what he's done at Glasgow, Gordon is nae bad and takes some doing to keep him out the side.

Boyle has played and never really shown too much. Whereas Darge was motm on his first match for Glasgow! Maybe Boyle will one day be a great player. But Darge was immediately obviously a special player. I agree Tom Gordon is great but he's miles away from Darge. It's hard to see anything but pretty awful management from the Edinburgh coaches at the time.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:08 pm

Did Darge not have a bad injury couple seasons ago when he was still academy/u20 and miss quite a chunk of rugby?

We also have no idea how they are performing in training perhaps getting moved to Glasgow was a kick up the KelvinDeaker he needed, either way he is playing very well at present and backrow should be a great battle in the 1872.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:53 pm

JDCSR wrote:I think it just came down to both him and Boyle being very promising prospects and it getting to the point where we were barely going to give any gametime to one let alone both. And Boyle being preferred to keep on at the time.

Boyle has played and never really shown too much. Whereas Darge was motm on his first match for Glasgow! Maybe Boyle will one day be a great player. But Darge was immediately obviously a special player. I agree Tom Gordon is great but he's miles away from Darge. It's hard to see anything but pretty awful management from the Edinburgh coaches at the time.

Boyle was a better player for the under 20s, though as above Darge was coming back from a bad injury and was played at 8 to accommodate Boyle at 7.

Gordon also isn't miles away from Darge, the former was by some distance Glasgow's best player last season and Darge has had to be bloody good to keep him out.

Fair play to Darge, he's been superb and it certainly looks a clanger from Edinburgh for letting him go but would he have got any more gametime here than Boyle has with Watson, Crosbie and Ritchie all options at 7? Come on now.

I'd call it great management from the SRU making the call that got him into Glasgow's 7 shirt. Part of being the bigger brother is that you sometimes have to share your things.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:14 pm

Looks like Darge or Boyle had to go to Glasgow via proactive SRU orchestration . Bradbury had turned Glasgow down and Darge now with Dempsey are going to be a handful. Really concerned for next weeks 1872. Without Big Bill Mata and our not yet convincing midfield vs Thompson , Johnson & Tupelieau we could be in for a pumping . Step up Blair , Ritchie, Hamish and Darcy pls .
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:38 am

Hindsight is amazing but I don't think you will find many coaches who would look much further than rotating between Watson, Richie and Crosbie if they had those options. The first two are legitimately class on the international stage and Crosbie is an absolute trooper.

Darge has taken his chance well at Glasgow, but they played him because they were struggling to get a back row on the pitch at times last season, not because they were making a choice to invest in his development.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum