Squad 19/20

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Squad 19/20

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:19 pm

Congratulations to Jamie Farndale though - great achievement.

Go from wonderboy to two career threatening injuries to building your career back up through the 7s and the occasional pro game to a full deal.

Gritty.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:21 pm

Hoyland the second.

Been playing well, just needs to kick occasionally when playing 15 does not have to run everything.

Farndale is only 25 feels like he has been around for ages
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:08 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Hoyland the second.

Been playing well, just needs to kick occasionally when playing 15 does not have to run everything.

I agree, it does seem like Farndale has been around for ages. Perhaps it's because he was tipped for success at a very early age, didn't he join Edinburgh at 18 years old or something? I remember hearing about "this guy at Accies".
I know he had more than his fair share of injuries, so it's particularly nice to see him earn this full time contract, well done him.

I'm also chuffed for Hoyland after his own time out with injuries plus all that jamesmatthew with his grandparents being threatened with deportation.

They've both shown up well this season.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:21 pm

Tichtheid wrote:

I agree, it does seem like Farndale has been around for ages. Perhaps it's because he was tipped for success at a very early age, didn't he join Edinburgh at 18 years old or something? I remember hearing about "this guy at Accies".
I know he had more than his fair share of injuries, so it's particularly nice to see him earn this full time contract, well done him.

I'm also chuffed for Hoyland after his own time out with injuries plus all that jamesmatthew with his grandparents being threatened with deportation.

I remember seeing Farndale play for Accies and it's been six years since I emigrated, so he's certainly taken the long route.

I think this is sensible planning for international periods next season. A back 3 of Sau, Hoyland and Farndale will do a decent job.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:26 pm

Tichtheid wrote:

Yeah, Edinburgh debut at 18 in April 2012, then a gap of more than 6 years until he played his second game for the club in September 2018!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:50 pm

With Mackenzie injured and both Gilchrist and Toolis likely to travel to Rome (even if both not in the 23) seems remarkable foresight by Cockerill to have signed Stan South on loan last week! Fair chance he'll start on Friday v Connacht but almost certainly in the 23. StillCarmichael/Thomson available.Hodgson?)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:23 pm

Judging by reports Hodgson seems to have been playing well for 'Sonians so I'm surprised he hasn't featured at all this year.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:59 pm

The Nudger wrote:Judging by reports Hodgson seems to have been playing well for 'Sonians so I'm surprised he hasn't featured at all this year.

He needs to fill out a bit. Doesn't look bulky enough quite yet.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:34 pm

Cherry is the latest to extend his stay.

He has been playing well when he gets a run. Looking at the long-term I wonder if we could get Ashman back up to Edinburgh full time?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:41 pm

Cherry been a good signing, solid all round game

recap on the re-signed and OOC

Sutherland - extended
McInally – extended
Cherry - extended
Toolis - extended
Bradbury - extended
Shiel - extended
VDM - extended
Hoyland – extended

Farndale - added

OOC at end season

Fenton
Nel
Ceccarelli
Stanley
Hodgson
Thomson
Barclay
VDW
Hickey
Baggott
Scott
Fife
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:14 pm

Fenton: if we can get Ashman, then I think Cammy's time will be up.

Nel: expect a 1-year, though obviously we won't be told how long!

Ceccarelli: while his performances have been good, I think he's holding McCallum up, so jury's out for me.

Stanley: not seen anything of him, so can't judge.

Hodgson & Thomson: both worthwhile resigning as up-and-coming squad players.

Barclay: I'm expecting him to retire. Had a gut feeling when he signed for Edinburgh, that it would be his last pro contract.

VDW & Hickey: hopefully Jaco will resign and get capped before the year is out. Genuinely wonder if we can get better value than Hickey elsewhere, but if that was the case, I would've expected us to have announced it already.

Baggott: expect him to be released - possibly to Super6?

Scott: the highest priority for resigning now.

Fife: presumably going the other way to Farndale.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:14 pm

Nel and VdW have activated the one year option in their contracts according to Cockers.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:15 pm

Update from Cockers via TOL article about Lord Darcy:

https://www.theoffsideline.com/darcy-gr ... j0M-Ma6ixo

Headlines:

1. Jaco and WP have triggered a further year in their deals.

2. Hickey situation unresolved, and smells like he is off, but it would be leave us short as there is no obvious option to come in.

3. Ceccarelli may find himself unrenewed due to budget constraints. (Winning's cameo on Friday can't have helped him).
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:21 pm

TheSmidge wrote:Update from Cockers via TOL article about Lord Darcy:

https://www.theoffsideline.com/darcy-gr ... j0M-Ma6ixo

Headlines:

1. Jaco and WP have triggered a further year in their deals.

2. Hickey situation unresolved, and smells like he is off, but it would be leave us short as there is no obvious option to come in.

3. Ceccarelli may find himself unrenewed due to budget constraints. (Winning's cameo on Friday can't have helped him).

Hickey wants to be first choice, but tbh he's not demonstrated enough to do that anywhere other than NPC.

He's been a lot better this year, I think there's genuine competition between him and VdW now, and although I think Jaco is ace, Hickey probably has a higher ceiling. Reading between the lines Cockers wants them both. I actually think it's in his interests to stay.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:40 pm

I hope Graham's injury doesn't last too long, it's a shame he won't make the remaining 6N fixtures, but it would be very good to get him back at Embra for the run in for the league and cup games

It's good to read that Cockers expects Matt Scott to be available on Friday
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum