Mon the Weegies

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Mon the Weegies

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon May 27, 2019 10:15 am

biffer wrote:
joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:To be fair the bars aren't used to serving alcohol.

Jesus LawrenceBryce wept. That Edinburgh amateur complacency in a nutshell

This is supposed to be a professional organisation having accepted a professionally constructed bid to host a prestigious match. But WayneBarnes ups ok, they ain't used to serving alcohol. Or food. Or soft drinks or expect large numbers of folk in a fan zone or...........................

Exactly. If they’re not capable of doing it they shouldn’t bloody well be doing it.

Looked capable, I understand why a football stadium where drinking and milling around the stadium is discouraged struggled a bit with the drinking and milling around.

Not everything can be perfect all the time. I bet it's better the next rugby set piece event there.

BTM still has its problems, as does every big venue I've been.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon May 27, 2019 10:20 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
biffer wrote:
joe soap wrote: Jesus LawrenceBryce wept. That Edinburgh amateur complacency in a nutshell

This is supposed to be a professional organisation having accepted a professionally constructed bid to host a prestigious match. But WayneBarnes ups ok, they ain't used to serving alcohol. Or food. Or soft drinks or expect large numbers of folk in a fan zone or...........................

Exactly. If they’re not capable of doing it they shouldn’t bloody well be doing it.

Looked capable, I understand why a football stadium where drinking and milling around the stadium is discouraged struggled a bit with the drinking and milling around.

Not everything can be perfect all the time. I bet it's better the next rugby set piece event there.

At least they didn't do it in Hampden, which is possibly the worst major stadium that I've been to.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon May 27, 2019 10:26 am

Worth nothing the Crusaders pack bar one or two players is also the All Black pack. They play good rugby but first and foremost their pack dominates all comers.

The Crusaders pack is very good, Dane Coles, Brodie Retallick, Sam Cane and probably Ardie Savea on his current form are all starters for the All Blacks when fit, but their Crusaders equivalents have all played for the ABs too.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon May 27, 2019 11:00 am

If you can understand it, then why couldn't the Pro14, and ensure additional attention was paid to it? It's not as if it's the first Pro14 final, albeit the first one at a football stadium, they knew that and failed in their preparation. Do we have a right to expect them to be a professional body or not?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon May 27, 2019 11:16 am

biffer wrote:

If you can understand it, then why couldn't the Pro14, and ensure additional attention was paid to it? It's not as if it's the first Pro14 final, albeit the first one at a football stadium, they knew that and failed in their preparation. Do we have a right to expect them to be a professional body or not?

I fail to see how queues and a fan zone that wasn't universally liked is unprofessional.

Hindsight is 20/20, to get the amount of fans they did for a right final in a football city should be celebrated imo. With corrections made for next time.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon May 27, 2019 11:19 am

biffer wrote:

I fail to see how queues and a fan zone that wasn't universally liked is unprofessional.

Hindsight is 20/20, to get the amount of fans they did for a right final in a football city should be celebrated imo. With corrections made for next time.

Pro14 is forever going on about fan experience. So focus on it should be a priority given their own spiel. And to say nobody had mentioned it as a concern in the run up is daft, it's not a hindsight only thing - it's a 'this was raised as a concern and you ignored it' thing.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon May 27, 2019 12:49 pm

biffer wrote:

Pro14 is forever going on about fan experience. So focus on it should be a priority given their own spiel. And to say nobody had mentioned it as a concern in the run up is daft, it's not a hindsight only thing - it's a 'this was raised as a concern and you ignored it' thing.

its the Edinburgh excuse culture. Couldn't be helped. Except it could. And should have been.

Of course if you weren't there and it didn't affect you, it can't be an issue.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon May 27, 2019 12:55 pm

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Shows why Cockers is ultimately correct.

comedy gold. Did you watch it? Appalling conditions, Weegies within 3 pts and one chargedown plus few odd decisions from winning. Game could easily gone either way and had Hastings passed instead of a dose of white line fever Weegies could easily have edged it

Coulda woulda shoulda - dying words of a fool. And these "appalling conditions" applied to both teams mate.

Attritional, pack first rugby is very effective. More effective than the high risk low margin Glasgow and Scotland play.

of course you need a decent pack. But if you think Leinster won that because their pack beat Glasgow, you are deluded. And that was is SteveWalsh conditions that are supposed to favour the supposedly better pack. even set peice, who do think showed any dominance?

Glasgow lost because of a couple of errors. There was very little between the teams, so little I find it hard to say the better team won because it was far from clear who the better team was
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Mon May 27, 2019 1:40 pm

joe soap wrote:Glasgow lost because of a couple of errors. There was very little between the teams, so little I find it hard to say the better team won because it was far from clear who the better team was

Were the better team not the ones who made fewer mistakes, capitalised on the ones that their opponents made and scored more points?
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon May 27, 2019 2:46 pm

bignose wrote:
joe soap wrote:Glasgow lost because of a couple of errors. There was very little between the teams, so little I find it hard to say the better team won because it was far from clear who the better team was

Were the better team not the ones who made fewer mistakes, capitalised on the ones that their opponents made and scored more points?

can reduce it to that, yes. Or simply the team that scored the most points is even simpler. Which alters nothing I posted, perhaps little between the teams is something you disagree with.

What is for sure it wasn't a team with a hugely dominant back who steam rollered the other one. The key mistakes the Weegies made were made by backs.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon May 27, 2019 3:41 pm

joe soap wrote:
bignose wrote:

can reduce it to that, yes. Or simply the team that scored the most points is even simpler. Which alters nothing I posted, perhaps little between the teams is something you disagree with.

What is for sure it wasn't a team with a hugely dominant back who steam rollered the other one. The key mistakes the Weegies made were made by backs.

Leinster did have the better of the scrum, the breakdown they weren't too troubled and their pack sucked all the momentum from Glasgow in the second half to be fair.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue May 28, 2019 10:21 am

Late to post, but I went through for the match.

The game – Decent competitive match thought Glasgow left a couple of tries out there, one was a great tackle on DTH in the corner and the second, I think, it was Hastings dummied and ran instead of passing when 5m out. Leinster did what they always do, well drilled low error rugby leaving the opposition needing to take points every chance they get to beat them.

Stadium – Good for watching the match with steep stands and felt a bit closer to the pitch. But echo the comments on the drink queues/fan zone. Fan Zone felt like it was set to cater for 7k rather than 47k. Queues within the stadium and space around the retail outlets really poor, although I understand that some areas were fine with no queue where as I was 30+mins before KO, also thought there were not many toilets for a stadium of its size.

Appreciate Celtic Park is designed to get folk in and keep them in and apart, but even having the backpack beer folk would have helped. Things like the automated turnstile scanners worked well getting you in but again limit flexibility on how you get folk into their seats, if they could have had the exit doors open pre-match and more food and drink stalls on ground level I think queues could have been much reduced.

Clearly Celtic Park works for football and Murrayfield for rugby but given the requirements of each and fundamental design differences (eg at CP turnstiles on the stands, MF at the boundary) I find it hard to believe either can be made to work well for the other sport. It was great for Glasgow that c40000 fans turned out to watch rugby in the city especially with Celtic playing same day but I don’t think the stadium experience showed a day at the rugby at its best to any potential new followers.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gunner_graham on Tue May 28, 2019 10:47 am

biffer wrote:

Indeed we do. I believe there were some mitigating factors, but it was a very poor show. I thought the stadium was fantastic and I don't think I've ever heard such noise at a rugby match, even Scotland pumping England last year in front of a full house could not compare with the riotous noise when Fagerson scored. Maybe I noticed it more being a casual observer rather than having a direct vested interest in one of the sides.
I tend to avoid drinking at matches and it was just as well for this as people seemed to disappear from their seats for an age before returning with half filled pots of Guinness.
The SRU could surely have done something to assist here, but ultimately the Pro14 show their amateurism yet again.
gunner_graham
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue May 28, 2019 12:37 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Leinster did have the better of the scrum.

they had the better of inept reffing of it. Healey is a serial hinger, if made to scrum straight always has been. Furlong goes down every time the pressure comes on - reminded me of John Hayes it was so predictable. Got to ridiculous when the Weegies shunted them back at a rate of knots and got penalised - yet Leinster ran the scrum around deliberate wheel repeatedly. Owens reffed reputations, not what happened.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue May 28, 2019 1:43 pm

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Leinster did have the better of the scrum.

they had the better of inept reffing of it. Healey is a serial hinger, if made to scrum straight always has been. Furlong goes down every time the pressure comes on - reminded me of John Hayes it was so predictable. Got to ridiculous when the Weegies shunted them back at a rate of knots and got penalised - yet Leinster ran the scrum around deliberate wheel repeatedly. Owens reffed reputations, not what happened.

Ah so it's the refs fault.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum