Warm ups have arrived.

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Warm ups have arrived.

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:38 am

Saturday has dawned wet but hopeful, pre match regime starting with fresh coffee and maybe toast, hope the team feel better than me.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Re: Warm ups have arrived.

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:29 pm

Feels like on repeat but really hope we something near potential from Bennet, Scott & Hickey. If we can’t open up against LS then we never will.

Be good to see a bit if nick groom too.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:53 pm

Am expecting a lot of rusty play, hopefully some promising stuff to.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:47 pm

Nine tries to three.

What was the game like?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:39 pm

Quite pleased with our performance, a lot of enthusiasm and running, patience when we reached the try line, wind made some of it awkward, hopefully Cockers will have seen the younger guys playing hard and looking for future game time. Hoyland MoTM deservedly, pleased so far today, it all begins again at 5.00pm.
Shop was heaving with kit selling well, I personally fancy the blue/white hooped top they wore in the warm up but haven’t seen it for sale.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:58 pm

I liked that top, too, Pitfitter, it featured in some of the preseason training pics
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:13 pm

Going to call Monday and ask if they’ll make it available, not much hope though methinks.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:43 pm

I thought both Bennett and Scott showed flashes that suggest they might have better seasons this year
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:09 pm

So did Hickey. Thought he looked good, more testing games to come though.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:12 pm

Agree. Org made telling breaks that led to tries. Bennet in particular looked sharp and back to himself. Hickey facilitated well and almost everyone had a good game. Cherry and Haining carried well and Sutherland looked to be back to the aggression we saw pre injury.

Suppose it all has to be caveated in that LS are not that strong and couldn’t live with the intensity. We kept our concentration when in the past we would have got dragged into a dogfight.

Good start, onwards and upwards!

Anyone know why cars wer not being allowed out of the car park after the game? Seems to verge on chaotic.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Re the car park, I don’t what caused it but some people in the queue-or trying to push into it- were getting very aggrieved, but it was change to see stewards still there directing traffic once we got moving
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:05 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Agree. Org made telling breaks that led to tries. Bennet in particular looked sharp and back to himself. Hickey facilitated well and almost everyone had a good game. Cherry and Haining carried well and Sutherland looked to be back to the aggression we saw pre injury.

Suppose it all has to be caveated in that LS are not that strong and couldn’t live with the intensity. We kept our concentration when in the past we would have got dragged into a dogfight.

Good start, onwards and upwards!

Anyone know why cars wer not being allowed out of the car park after the game? Seems to verge on chaotic.

Who's Org?
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:34 pm

Scott, when you have big fingers and a small keypad!

I’m hopeful we will see Groom, Hickey, Scott, Bennet, vdm, Graham and Kinghorn as our first choice back line. Would be quite exciting.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:31 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Scott, when you have big fingers and a small keypad!

I’m hopeful we will see Groom, Hickey, Scott, Bennet, vdm, Graham and Kinghorn as our first choice back line. Would be quite exciting.

Couple of big calls in the half backs, dolf.

Pyrgos was central to our plan last year, but I think his exhaustion was part of our demise. I've liked the look of Shiel when he's been on the park.

Hickey over vdW? There was a significant difference between them last season, I reckon.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:46 am

Agree with both of those, but just think if we want to play a more rounded game then Groom/Hickey will give us that. Probably closer between Pyrgos and Groom in that respect.

I think VDw is a decent player but he is not going to take us forward. Hickey can but whether he will are two different matters. It’s an odd thing but his body position when he takes the ball gives him mor emotions, vdw sets up to either kick or pass, a wee bit like dan parks used to. So even tho he throws a flat fast pass the defence is already up in the face of the recipient.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum