Bordeaux-Begles

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Bordeaux-Begles

Postby Rico on Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:57 pm

FFS - absolutely shocking defence there
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:12 pm

Does it count as an intercept if the opposition player simply passes to you?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:13 pm

Get Fenton on FFS!
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:14 pm

This is some of the worst, sloppiest, most wasteful attacking play from Edinburgh I can remember for a long, long time...
Last edited by Rico on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:17 pm

No offside in this game then
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:19 pm

Tichtheid wrote:No offside in this game then

Obviously not.
KenMavor
International

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:26 pm

Disappointing result, we were better than them, but I guess that doesn't matter, no asterisks in the results etc
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:29 pm

Unfortunately some good stuff going forward undone by some basic errors, line out, restarts and then poor tackling to the fore.

Pity nobody told B - B that French teams weren't supposed to bother away from home though.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:32 pm

The Chiel wrote:Unfortunately some good stuff going forward undone by some basic errors, line out, restarts and then poor tackling to the fore.

Pity nobody told B - B that French teams weren't supposed to bother away from home though.

The lineout was appalling and it's gotten worse every time Willemnse plays, he needs some time in the woodshed because the rest of his game is good but we can't just cough up so much possession against quality sides. Fenton has to move above him in the pecking order until he sorts this out, it's bread and butter for a hooker and we don't have these issues with other throwers
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:40 pm

Thought Bordeaux were really poor, and the only chances they had were those that we gave them. And therein lies the problem - we might as well have put wrapping paper and a bow on their 2 points.

Some pass marks in terms of performance (the two Vanders, for instances), but so much of our play was sloppy, clumsy and rusty.

The ref did us no favours but we only really have ourselves to blame.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:45 pm

Rico wrote:Thought Bordeaux were really poor, and the only chances they had were those that we gave them. And therein lies the problem - we might as well have put wrapping paper and a bow on their 2 points.

Some pass marks in terms of performance (the two Vanders, for instances), but so much of our play was sloppy, clumsy and rusty.

The ref did us no favours but we only really have ourselves to blame.

In one way we are still trying to measure ourselves against these teams, BB are sitting second in the Top 14 so we probably go into these games hoping rather than expecting to win.
We are away to Munster next week where we got battered last season. We need to do so much better than that, we need to win
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:17 pm

Pffff should have won it disappointing it slipped away.

Sounds like we looked worse on tv than it did live.

Thought defence was solid first half, felt game got loose second half and we we made too many errors at key times.

Lineout live it looked like they closed gap every time and put willemse off, got pinged once for it.

Think we have to assume cockerill and co have a rough plan for the 13 match in a row in terms of rotation and which games to target playing younger players etc although looked like nasty injury for crosbie and a worry barclay failed his hia.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:14 am

Tichtheid wrote:I think playing players who might not be up to the opposition is more of an injury risk,

tell that to Barclay and Crosbie, one the player most experienced at that level and the other the most physical and abrasive player on the books
Shiel and Taylor haven't played at this level of intensity yet,
so they needed to in a game that should not be a be all and end all

and to be honest Scott and Bennett have missed a hell of a lot of rugby in recent years, these are our game breakers, they need as much time as possible together right now to build the partnership that will be needed at the sharp end of the season for Edinburgh (and possibly Scotland).

they will get plenty of time as someone said about someone. And the Scotland call is just deflection - that will happen if and when etc. It won't be earned in the diddy cup round 2

How BB are approaching the game is precisely the point, I think Cockers has probably anticipated things exactly as they turned out, and putting out a weakened team could have ended up like it did for Agen last week where the home side were completely outplayed but battled back into it in the second half after the game was lost.

psychic Cockerill. Or same old same old
As for when will the guys in question get game time, they'll get it towards the end of this game tonight, it's nothing to get worked up about.

7 mins between 3 of them. Actually one of them, other 2 bench warmed with added skelfs

There is actually a danger of leaving the front line guys under-played if they don't get on the park, I'm not particularly thinking of anyone in the side tonight but WP needs to get back in the saddle asap, he is a player who has always looked better when playing a lot of rugby, same with Rambo.

they were not options otherwise I have no doubt Cockerill would have picked them

should still have won it, last pen was a nonsense I thought. But folk need to see Cockerill via other than rose tinted specs. He is a good technical coach, but has serious limitations above that which he needs to address
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:50 am

JimC, you obviously have your doubts towards everything about Edinburgh Rugby, personally I think Cockerill is improving things.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:31 am

I have rarely been as annoyed as I was leaving Murrayfield last night. Edinburgh had that game right in every dept. yet still managed to let Bordeaux back into the game by lapses in concentration and basic errors.

I have not seen issues with Willemse. They competed hard at the lineout as did Edinburgh on theirs. They got amongst Edinburgh's lineout early, Willemse noticeably adjusted the trajectory of his throwing which helped counter theri jumpers. Apart from a couple of fumbles by catchers, I'd say disruption of bothe lineouts was due to good play by the defenders rather than deficiencies from the attackers.

On several occasions Edinburgh players failed to draw the tackler before passing last night. Attacks broke down on simple errors like this which allowed the defence to drift across so overlaps were lost. Bordeaux were a good tesm plsying poorly. But because they are a good team they were on the same wavelength; Edinburgh looked like they just did not have that understanding so were much less cohesive both in attack and defence.

I am starting to get annoyed again, so I'll leave it there. There was enough there to think that Edinburgh can still do well in this competition and I look forward to seeing what the pack does to them in Bordeaux after last night's display. I just hope that by the time we get there we are still in the fight.
Weegie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum