Matt Scott and Injuries

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Matt Scott and Injuries

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:53 am

Really interesting article on Matt Scott on the BBC website, I think we all forget the human element of players, particularly when they are injured, and can be quite hard on them if they don't come back firing on all cylinders straight away, Matt did lok totally out of sorts last season and too heavy, but you could see from the first pre season game he was a different animal this year. it is concerning that out S & C coaches didn't step in when he was gaining bulk, although if his mental health was fragile they maybe felt it better to let him "achive " something and not knock him.

Great to have him back, when you see some of the other injuries we have had, it is a pretty horrific way to have to earn a living, Weir, similarly to Scott had a loss of form and probably none of us realised how bad it was, Du Preez too, has taken a couple of years to get back to where he was.

Hats off to all of them for coming back and I really do think we will see something special from Sutherland once he is fully back upto speed and woudlnt be surprised if he is Scotlands starting LH this year.

Matt Scott
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51166771

Rory Sutherland
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rory-sut ... urgh-rugby

Duncan Weir
https://www.theoffsideline.com/duncan-weir-interview/

Cornell Du Preez
https://scrummagazine.com/cornell-du-pr ... -comeback/
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Re: Matt Scott and Injuries

Postby Croft_No.6 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:09 am

From the Rory Sutherland interview. Seems this initiative continues to work well for the players.

"Salvation came from an unlikely source, a chance meeting with former Edinburgh team-mate Ben Atiga who was putting together Scottish Rugby’s package of mental health support, career planning and education called Rugby For Life.

The All Black knew a little of Sutherland’s journey. The programme was in its infancy and the prop became its “guinea pig”. Every week, Atiga would drive to his house and work on ways to better his mindset, prepare for a potentially devastating enforced retirement, or simply to listen.

“Whenever I needed him, he always came,” Sutherland says. “He’d take my mind off things by doing little things throughout the day."
Croft_No.6
International

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:17 am

Yes Ben Atiga seems to have a good reputation for helping players, not only injuted but settling in new signings.

I was a big critic of his as a player (just that he seemed to have all the talent and not make the most of it) and was surprised he was kept on as part of the management team, but he seems to be a good guy. It may well the the talent and pressure of being the next big thing were what made him struggle, so he will understand the pressures more than most.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:37 pm

Pretty sobering stuff reading about Matt Scott (and Sutherland,Du Preez,Duncan Taylor etc).And to think these guys put themselves through this for our enjoyment (ok they get paid as well)!
Perhaps this sort of article might stop some of the ridiculous criticism of players on the various blogging sites (I don't mean so much here but BBC Sport comments etc) totally vitriolic some of it and a world away from supposed "rugby values".Think carefully before you ever bad mouth a player as we've often no idea what they've been through.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum