Edinburgh squad 2020-21

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh squad 2020-21

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:51 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Back three for next year: Kinghorn, Graham, Sau, Hoyland, Immelmann, Blain, Farndale. With Sweeney, Patterson and Henry all tbc in the academy.

As with every depth NSQ. It's the young guys who will see reduced opportunity sadly.

We only have 2 NSQ backs, don't we?

3 including Jordan Venter.

Need to also remember despite the number of appearances Kinghorn and Graham are only 23/24 and Blain 21.

Fair point, I forgot wee young Jordan.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:10 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Back three for next year: Kinghorn, Graham, Sau, Hoyland, Immelmann, Blain, Farndale. With Sweeney, Patterson and Henry all tbc in the academy.

As with every depth NSQ. It's the young guys who will see reduced opportunity sadly.

Need to also remember despite the number of appearances Kinghorn and Graham are only 23/24 and Blain 21.

Who is essentially an academy player too. Not too fussed with Venter as it's like signing VdM. Bring in a physical specimen you won't find in Scotland and see what happens. Venter isn't a journeyman taking up space and so far Matt Currie has been preferred.

Is Immelmann better than our academy back three? I'd hope so he's 25 and has played for Montpellier. Does he restrict the opportunities for the young guys to get a game? Yes. Is this good? Maybe.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:37 am

The Feral Goat wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:

I have seen elsewhere that we have 29 backs (when you include academy players) so 3 out of 29 doesn't seem so bad to me.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:08 am

If we are signing NSQ players, this seems like the kind we should be going for. Solid, experienced player who can keep the standards of the team high across the whole season.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:53 pm

Freddie Owsley - winger forgot we had signed him as well SQ and 24.

Announced today he has joined up with ER early
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon May 03, 2021 3:50 pm

Rumours about Sutherland joining Worcester on the Glasgow site and Worcester fans board.

https://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/rea ... 9,16977601

Hugely disapointing if true, i dont grudge him a big pay day if it is true but he is s the sort of player we shoudl be building around, all about hard work and almost the complete prop. We are fortunate to have Shoeman, but I woudl almost rather keep Sutherland to be honest. I hope he is a Lion this summer either way.

Would probably explain some o our recruitment of props this summer. losin ghim and Berg does take away a fair bit of our depth.

We really need to invest the budget in the centres, though, we are very short of quality and if Bennet goes we have no real top end players there, good squaf players and developing youngsters are fine, but we need more quality
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon May 03, 2021 4:38 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Rumours about Sutherland joining Worcester on the Glasgow site and Worcester fans board.

Hugely disapointing if true, i dont grudge him a big pay day if it is true but he is s the sort of player we shoudl be building around, all about hard work and almost the complete prop. We are fortunate to have Shoeman, but I woudl almost rather keep Sutherland to be honest. I hope he is a Lion this summer either way.

Would probably explain some o our recruitment of props this summer. losin ghim and Berg does take away a fair bit of our depth.

We really need to invest the budget in the centres, though, we are very short of quality and if Bennet goes we have no real top end players there, good squaf players and developing youngsters are fine, but we need more quality

Thought he was under contract, but money does talk. Don't we start looking a bit light on the prop side if he goes?

Getting more quality in the centres probably involves a South African taking away opportunities from the developing youngsters, of course.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon May 03, 2021 5:01 pm

Potentially, but not necessarily. We have got Currie and Taylor who are up and coming (Taylor is older than I thought), Dean and Johnstone are both solid players, however an import is doing no more than they are in terms of holidng up youngsters are they are not going to play international rugby now (both have been great servants to be clear and I dont want to lose them).

A lot will depend on how Lang and Immelman are seen, if they are coming to play centre then the problem is sorted, if coming to play FB and SO, then we are short n the centre.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon May 03, 2021 5:29 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Rumours about Sutherland joining Worcester on the Glasgow site and Worcester fans board.

Thought he was under contract, but money does talk. Don't we start looking a bit light on the prop side if he goes?

Getting more quality in the centres probably involves a South African taking away opportunities from the developing youngsters, of course.

Came up back in December and was dismissed at the time as he had 18 months still on contract, looks like almost the same article getting trotted out again.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-un ... re-3080957
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon May 03, 2021 7:39 pm

If Sutherland does leave the only full time prop in the Edinburgh squad developed in Scotland next year will be Dan Gamble. One prop developed in Scotland! One!

But it's not a problem, apparently.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon May 03, 2021 9:26 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:If Sutherland does leave the only full time prop in the Edinburgh squad developed in Scotland next year will be Dan Gamble. One prop developed in Scotland! One!

There are a few ifs in there, and if all them come true and a few other ifs, we will have two Scottish-developed locks, Gilcho and Hodgson, three backrows, Ritchie, Crosbie, Bradbury and two hookers, Rambo and Cherry, plus academy guys.

I don't remember anyone saying it's not a problem, but I do remember the sentiment of saying there is no point playing guys who will get battered because they just aren't up to it.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon May 03, 2021 9:36 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:If Sutherland does leave the only full time prop in the Edinburgh squad developed in Scotland next year will be Dan Gamble. One prop developed in Scotland! One!

There are a few ifs in there, and if all them come true and a few other ifs, we will have two Scottish-developed locks, Gilcho and Hodgson, three backrows, Ritchie, Crosbie, Bradbury and two hookers, Rambo and Cherry, plus academy guys.

I don't remember anyone saying it's not a problem, but I do remember the sentiment of saying there is no point playing guys who will get battered because they just aren't up to it.

To give this context: locks 2/6 33% (3/7 Carmichael hasn't been announced yet) backrows: Muncaster left for schooling so we can say developed in England but you forgot Boyle but we then have 4/9 (44%) and props 1/7 which is 15% and I presume one to be signed to replace Sutherland which could be Gunn I guess and give us 2/8. The development of young Scottish props in Scotland has been a clear failure and nobody is doing anything about it.

There is an obvious point to giving young players gametime. That point being to improve their skills and abilities. The reason we don't play them is the SRU are too busy signing project players or second rate 25 year old plus props from elsewhere and coaches obviously pick guys to win games.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 pm

I am not sure about the Sutherland Rumour. Why would Worcester buy out a contracted prop who will spend a good third of the season in Scotland camps ? If true , it’s bad news , also given his ability in the loose . On the topic of centres I really don’t see the problem given Lang’s addition and Bennett having a further year on contract to add to the depth we already have. Especially if we can improve on quick ball. I think some nonsense is sometimes posted on this topic . The best centres in the PRO14 are D’Allende , Ringrose , Henshaw , Jon Davies and on his day Huw Jones . Our guys benchmark pretty well with the rest I think.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon May 03, 2021 9:58 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
To give this context: locks 2/6 33% (3/7 Carmichael hasn't been announced yet) backrows: Muncaster left for schooling so we can say developed in England but you forgot Boyle but we then have 4/9 (44%) and props 1/7 which is 15% and I presume one to be signed to replace Sutherland which could be Gunn I guess and give us 2/8. The development of young Scottish props in Scotland has been a clear failure and nobody is doing anything about it.

There is an obvious point to giving young players gametime. That point being to improve their skills and abilities. The reason we don't play them is the SRU are too busy signing project players or second rate 25 year old plus props from elsewhere and coaches obviously pick guys to win games.

Carmichael hasn't been announced yet, neither has McCallum or Sutherland.

I didn't forget Boyle, but I classed him as academy as he is only just barely out of it.

The second paragraph is a bit bizzare, the SRU are, and I quote, "too busy signing project players or second rate 25 year old plus props from elsewhere "?

I understand the frustration, but to suggest the SRU want anything other than a successful Edinburgh and Glasgow side with a flow of Scottish players for the national team is just plain wrong.

The reason Cockerill plays guys like Venter is because, and I can only really hazzard a guess here, he feels he has a better chance of winning games with these guys than the Scottish guys that he has at his disposal.

It's not an easy position to fill, have a look at France's Top 14 and see how many Georgians or Italians or Argentinians or Polynesians are on their clubs' books, despite all their money and thousands of players and despite their legislation limiting foreign players, they still have lots of foreign props.

We have two teams and have only just set up the Super 6, it's had one season and then was subject to Covid.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon May 03, 2021 10:18 pm

Cockerill saying sutherland going nowhere again today, although not that there has not been an approach.

https://www.theoffsideline.com/richard- ... ssion=true

Also McInally back in full training

Currie injured

Younger players likely to feature in 1872
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum