Edinburgh squad 2020-21

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh squad 2020-21

Postby New Gunner on Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:22 am

We need to replace Baggott (not sure when his contract up btw) because we need three 10s to cover injury. Also, Van Der Walt becomes Scottish qualified later this year, and he may well be third choice and therefore likely to be away at Scotland squad sessions. Finally, some succession planning - ideally you don’t want to keep buying in non-SQ 10s if there is SQ talent to develop - ie a Lance might not be needed in future.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:12 pm

New Gunner wrote:Mark Palmer reporting that Jono Lance and Nathan Chamberlain (Sco U20s and Bristol) are both under consideration for bolstering options at 10 for Edinburgh. Chamberlain scored a hattrick and kicked a load of points as Scotland thrashed Wales U20 just before lockdown. Would be a great call.

If both come in would think Jason Baggott would be heading for the exit sooner or later.

not sure if Chamberlain would be ready to be match squad player week in or week out, but he has all the tools to be a really top 10. However he's played for Scotland for the last 3 age groups and Cockerill has said there is no-one on the Scottish system. I assume he meant in Edin academy system.

The little I've seen of Lance , he has all the ability to make Bez look like a world beater.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Journeyman on Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:25 pm

Reliably informed that Matt Scott has not been offered a contract renewal by Edinburgh, despite telling them he wanted to stay, and is definitely heading back down south to a Premiership club.....good bit of business that when considering he's near the top of the stats chart for 12s in Europe this season.....lets hope they use the money wisely.
Journeyman
Embra Debut

Postby The Incredible Shug on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:46 pm

Journeyman wrote:Reliably informed that Matt Scott has not been offered a contract renewal by Edinburgh, despite telling them he wanted to stay, and is definitely heading back down south to a Premiership club.....good bit of business that when considering he's near the top of the stats chart for 12s in Europe this season.....lets hope they use the money wisely.

It'd be a really massive shame if so.

Cockerill's comments maybe hint to the club having a desire to re-sign Scott, but that could just be how it looks to me. If Scott is heading back to the Premiership, I reckon he'll either end up on the books at Worcester Warriors, Newcastle Falcons or Sale Sharks.

Significantly, the departure of Ryan Mills means that Worcester have a vacancy within the starting XV at inside centre...
Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:28 am

joe soap wrote:
New Gunner wrote:Mark Palmer reporting that Jono Lance and Nathan Chamberlain (Sco U20s and Bristol) are both under consideration for bolstering options at 10 for Edinburgh. Chamberlain scored a hattrick and kicked a load of points as Scotland thrashed Wales U20 just before lockdown. Would be a great call.

If both come in would think Jason Baggott would be heading for the exit sooner or later.

not sure if Chamberlain would be ready to be match squad player week in or week out, but he has all the tools to be a really top 10. However he's played for Scotland for the last 3 age groups and Cockerill has said there is no-one on the Scottish system. I assume he meant in Edin academy system.

The little I've seen of Lance , he has all the ability to make Bez look like a world beater.

Only time will tell with Lance, but he has a decent pedigree and he is flexible position wise, so in terms of a squad player I think he will be fine. Im still not convinced that VDW is really top drawer and to be honest was a bigger fan of Hickey, but in terms of value for money I get the logic.

Scott not being offered a contract doesn't feel right. I spoke to someone pre xmas and they thought an offer was being made a likely to be accepted. That may well have changed. The exponential rise of salaries seems to have come to an end and some top players are feeling undervalued. So it may be along those lines, he is probably thinking he has a big contract left in him so has to get as much as he can.

In terms of offers though, it may be a bit like SHC who set out his minimum terms and Edinburgh just weren't prepared to go to that level so officially no offer was made.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:39 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:
Scott not being offered a contract doesn't feel right. I spoke to someone pre xmas and they thought an offer was being made a likely to be accepted. That may well have changed. The exponential rise of salaries seems to have come to an end and some top players are feeling undervalued. So it may be along those lines, he is probably thinking he has a big contract left in him so has to get as much as he can.

In terms of offers though, it may be a bit like SHC who set out his minimum terms and Edinburgh just weren't prepared to go to that level so officially no offer was made.

something like that I think.

I think Cockerill has been given a bit of slack last couple of seasons on budget, as a way of kick starting a revival. And if so it has worked. But again if so, it was only going to be temporary slack and now its back to normal and some trimming of budget inevitable. Speculation on my part of course.

The other possibility is simply ran out of budget after signing up others earlier. Cockerill does give the impression of liking to get his squad for the following season stitched up early - which can cut both ways sometimes.
Scott will have come back here on a very decent wedge as well, so like Hickey not seen as VFM. Without knowing how much Scott was on, I find that a difficult one to swallow, given he hasn't been featuring on Scotland squads
All very odd
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:40 am

Journeyman wrote:Reliably informed that Matt Scott has not been offered a contract renewal by Edinburgh, despite telling them he wanted to stay, and is definitely heading back down south to a Premiership club.....good bit of business that when considering he's near the top of the stats chart for 12s in Europe this season.....lets hope they use the money wisely.

you've been saying that for a couple of months. In fact its all you've said.

Matt's mum or his agent?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:53 pm

joe soap wrote:

you've been saying that for a couple of months. In fact its all you've said.

Matt's mum or his agent?

Bit strong...I'm fairly sure they were just reiterating it here because this is a new thread.
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:23 pm

To be fair they only have 5 posts, all of which bemoaning the lack of a contract offer to Matt Scott, which has been "reliably informed"

So it is bit whiffy. There is a poster on the Glasgow site who seems only to talk about the lack of game time for Darcy Rae, so does make you wonder about some.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:55 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:To be fair they only have 5 posts, all of which bemoaning the lack of a contract offer to Matt Scott, which has been "reliably informed"

So it is bit whiffy. There is a poster on the Glasgow site who seems only to talk about the lack of game time for Darcy Rae, so does make you wonder about some.

Actually, you and joe soap are right – it's a decent point considering that two of those posts are practically verbatim and are in the same thread two posts apart.
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:14 pm

Scott to Leicester.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:45 pm

I'm gutted
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:48 pm

Me too, if that's true. Scott was different class to our other centres this season, and had an ability to makes breaks none of the others could. We will be duller to watch without him.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:58 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Me too, if that's true. Scott was different class to our other centres this season, and had an ability to makes breaks none of the others could. We will be duller to watch without him.

True to the extent that Edinburgh confirmed it in a release this evening. Gutted also.

Cockers can do no wrong in my opinion, my guess is he’s looked at Matt Scott’s availability (20 games out of 47?) while not being selected for Scotland, worked out the cost per game and decided he had to spend the budget better.

Alas, we miss out on his X factor, which makes a difference in the tight games. He came on as a sub in the home 1872 game and won it for us - I’ve no doubt we’d have lost that without his clean breaks.

Disappointing.

Wonder if we have another decent new recruit to announce other than Lance? Hickey and Scott leaving might have freed up enough for Lance + 1, even allowing for our stellar backrow re-signing / extending...
Last edited by New Gunner on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:59 pm

Leicester have announced it, it's a done deal. :(
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum