Edinburgh squad 2020-21

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh squad 2020-21

Postby biffer on Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:49 pm

Disappointed about Scott, but Taylor and Dean are at the stage in their careers that they need to step up. Him, Barclay and Hickey takes a bit off the wage bill though, might make it easier to afford to retain the Grahams, Kinghorns, Ritchies and Bradburys.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:11 pm

biffer wrote:Disappointed about Scott, but Taylor and Dean are at the stage in their careers that they need to step up. Him, Barclay and Hickey takes a bit off the wage bill though, might make it easier to afford to retain the Grahams, Kinghorns, Ritchies and Bradburys.

That is exactly what is happening. Established "star" names are not being renewed due to the increased cost, and worthwhile investment, in retaining the up and coming guys, who are now being those established stars.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:14 pm

Whilst it is always sad to see some great players leave it opens up opportunities for younger guys to step up and get some game time. The u20s have done reasonably well this year and I would hope that some step up. Conor Boyle at open side for example has been a real stand out and looks like a young Ross Rennie to me. Large also looks a player.I would expect Blain to step up into Fife's spot. Hopefully we can prise Chamberlain away from Bristol and groom him for our future 10.

However we do need an experienced back up 10 for a year or two until Chamberlain develops. I'm also not convinced that we have the same quality at centre now we have lost Scott, he was a very fine player and I hope he will be back in a Scotland shirt soon.Perhaps McCallum or Henry can step up - both looked good against Wales u20s.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:38 pm

Shame about Fenton, I liked the look of him but he has missed a lot of time through injury
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Think Fife has been replaced by Farndale with hoyland pretty much our backup 15 now but with DVDM becoming SQ and very likely to be away I can see needing to add in the back 3 still.

Graham, DVDM, Farndale, Sau, Blain, Hoyland and Kinghorn

Looks like fron reports we were not able to compete with Leicesters offer for Scott rather than did not want to keep him.

Post from MD on site now, recruitment 95% complete with announcements in the coming days.

Bit on STs etc as well

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-club ... las-struth
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Shame about Fenton, I liked the look of him but he has missed a lot of time through injury

has had some injuries, but of all the releases I think he is the most unfortunate, Always played well and not the penalty machine that Willemse is, and better darts. And cheaper. Of the 2 I'd have binned the Bok but I guess he's still under contract.

So need another hooker. I doubt we will get the lad from Sale, he'll be looking to start down there this season. So who from the academy or another Cockerill pick from nowhere.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:51 pm

joe soap wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Shame about Fenton, I liked the look of him but he has missed a lot of time through injury

has had some injuries, but of all the releases I think he is the most unfortunate, Always played well and not the penalty machine that Willemse is, and better darts. And cheaper. Of the 2 I'd have binned the Bok but I guess he's still under contract.

So need another hooker. I doubt we will get the lad from Sale, he'll be looking to start down there this season. So who from the academy or another Cockerill pick from nowhere.

I would extremely delighted if we were able to pry Ashman from Sale, but I have my doubts as well. He is not just highly rated in Scotland, but has also picked up positive press from elsewhere. My main concern would actually be getting him capped, to keep him out of the clutches of England as I'm pretty sure he is qualified for them after appearances in age grade squads. He's also qualified for Canada, but I don't think that is competition.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:12 pm

So does the delay in the European competitions announced today mean that Matt Scott could theoretically line up for Leicester against Edinburgh in "this season's" competition ?

Wouldn't be allowed in the normal scheme of things, but these are strange times . . .
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:44 pm

By the look of things, we're retaining Jamie Hodgson. Excellent news.
Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri May 01, 2020 10:06 am

biffer wrote:Disappointed about Scott, but Taylor and Dean are at the stage in their careers that they need to step up. Him, Barclay and Hickey takes a bit off the wage bill though, might make it easier to afford to retain the Grahams, Kinghorns, Ritchies and Bradburys.

Don't think the SRU are going to be giving many bumper deals to anyone the next few years. Fortunately, I don't think English and French clubs will be either. We're going to see wages and number of games be reduced imo the next year few years player unions Vs the governing bodies are going to be what to watch.

It's a shame a deal with Scott couldn't be worked out as whilst VdM and Graham are great I think he was the destructive back but Dean and Taylor are useful understudies. I wonder if we'll see Hutchison come from the super 6?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri May 01, 2020 10:06 am

The Incredible Shug wrote:By the look of things, we're retaining Jamie Hodgson. Excellent news.

And Matt Smith as he was just a loan but they've announced South is going back to Exeter and nothing about Smith?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri May 01, 2020 12:34 pm

Jono Lance officially announced. I liked Hickey as a player, but this sounds like a sensible bit of squad and budget management. We're comfortable with having Jaco as first choice so not much point having another high-profile 10 in the squad.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri May 01, 2020 1:04 pm

Matt Gordon from london scottish as well a centre.
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Fri May 01, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri May 01, 2020 1:04 pm

Matt Gordon signed from London Scottish. 25 year old Aussie, can’t say I know anything about him. Can be taken as a statement that the young guys are expected to step up and fill Scott’s boots though.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri May 01, 2020 1:30 pm

I had thought Cameron Hutchison would step up to a full-time pro contract next season but with Bennett, Dean, Taylor, Johnstone, Venter and now Gordon in the centres it doesn't look that likely.
disco
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum