Socially Distanced Crowd?

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Socially Distanced Crowd?

Postby biffer on Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:35 pm

Looks like the SRU are pushing to let some of us in for one of the games in August. You'd assume ST holders would get first offer or at least a substantial bulk of however many tickets are available?

I would be very much up for it - I live walking distance away so no transport problems, And I'll quite happily sit miles away from anyone else as I'm an antisocial DavePearson.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: Socially Distanced Crowd?

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:02 pm

Families would take up less space for social distancing? ST families of course.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:43 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:Families would take up less space for social distancing? ST families of course.

Saw someone do a wee diagram, groups dont necessarily take up less space
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:26 am

GaryIPA wrote:
Pitfitter446 wrote:Families would take up less space for social distancing? ST families of course.

That seems correct, at least in simple situations. Imagine a chess board, with the black squares representing filled seats and white squares representing empty seats. If you fill in two seats to create a family of five sitting in a row, you have to take out four seats (one in front and one behind each of the two newly filled seats). So you've reduced total occupancy by 2.

Could work better with some more thought - only allowing folk to sit in every other row, rather than in a chessboard configuration, for example.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:12 pm

I would pay extra to sit away from my family :)

After 5 months stuck together the thought of some summer rugby, couple of beers (hopefully) socially distanced from them is very appealing...even more so for them I suspect.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:38 am

Frenchy wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

That seems correct, at least in simple situations. Imagine a chess board, with the black squares representing filled seats and white squares representing empty seats. If you fill in two seats to create a family of five sitting in a row, you have to take out four seats (one in front and one behind each of the two newly filled seats). So you've reduced total occupancy by 2.

Could work better with some more thought - only allowing folk to sit in every other row, rather than in a chessboard configuration, for example.

does your set up allow someone to sit in the seats diagonally in front and behind? Or assume these are 2m/1m away from your seat?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:30 pm

If a family of four sat in a square rather than in a line would that make difference? Tried to work it out on a scrabble board but it made my head hurt.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:30 am

joe soap wrote:
does your set up allow someone to sit in the seats diagonally in front and behind? Or assume these are 2m/1m away from your seat?

Yeah, I was using a very simple chessboard setup. I think the result of excluding sitting diagonally in front/behind would be that only seats in alternate rows could be used - which might be the best option anyway. It becomes much easier to accommodate families sitting way too.

Pitfitter wrote:If a family of four sat in a square rather than in a line would that make difference? Tried to work it out on a scrabble board but it made my head hurt.

No, exactly the same outcome - for every seat you "fill in", you have to take two others away.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:31 am

Frenchy wrote:
Pitfitter wrote:If a family of four sat in a square rather than in a line would that make difference? Tried to work it out on a scrabble board but it made my head hurt.

No, exactly the same outcome - for every seat you "fill in", you have to take two others away.

Is it? If you sit in a line there is a "seat bubble" of 14 if 4 people are sat in a row (1 seat in front and back of each and a block of 3 on either end to the side and diagonal of the end seat). With a square of 4 you save 2 seats. I suspect it would make a negligible difference over all though.

There are other ways which would help in small ways such as using the front row for seating.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:31 am

Sorry, yes, for four people it is better to sit in a square than a line. I think it might be that even numbers are better in squares/rectangles, and odd numbers are better in lines.

Neither is better than a chessboard, though.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:32 pm

Still the potential for this to happen for the second game it seems. Has been switched so it the Edinburgh home leg, so there won't be screaming NG when it's only our St holders who are offered!

I'd go if able, given I live walking distance from MF.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Id be keen to go, not sure what the experience will be, assuming no refreshments etc and minimal contact with others.

Murrayfield it actually ideal for it as they have 2 access points for each toilet too. Will see how it goes, but if allowed then I would plan to go. I would just drive.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:09 pm

I’m available if required... please.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:46 pm

Scottish Rugby is hoping the Pro14 match between Edinburgh and Glasgow at Murrayfield on 28 August will be used as a test event.

BBC Scotland understands a proposal that would see 700 fans in attendance could be signed off in the next couple of days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/53849641
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum