Cockers new deal

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Cockers new deal

Postby BigD163 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:28 pm

joe soap wrote:
I should have put a rolling eyes smiley or something with my last post

Ah, shame. :oops:
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:42 pm

Next Edinburgh coach is McRae, surely. Part of the SRU coaching roadmap.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:48 pm

biffer wrote:Next Edinburgh coach is McRae, surely. Part of the SRU coaching roadmap.

SRU road map would be for Blair or Dalziel to become HC, maybe even Tandy? Townsend and Wilson were both promoted from asst national coach to Glasgow HC.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:34 pm

Don’t see McCrae having the credentials to be head coach. Need fresh chemistry in set up . Certainly like to see Mike Blair in as Assistant Head coach and attack coach. A Southern Hemisphere Pat Lam/ Andy Friend type character should be in the mix .
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:42 am

Jonno Gibbes gets the Clermont role.

Huge season for Cockers next season.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:28 am

Thistle Rugby Pod Tweet appears to suggest Cockers may be departing against a backdrop of an unhappy squad.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:44 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Thistle Rugby Pod Tweet appears to suggest Cockers may be departing against a backdrop of an unhappy squad.

I hear rumours that certainly confirm the unhappy squad aspect.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:37 pm

bignose wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Thistle Rugby Pod Tweet appears to suggest Cockers may be departing against a backdrop of an unhappy squad.

I hear rumours that certainly confirm the unhappy squad aspect.

It is difficult because we need to be mindful that change does impact the people and families involved but if true it is a sad end to his time that the players have become that unhappy. It is perhaps for the best if this is true that he does go rather than it drag into next season.

It really does seem to echo the latter part of his time at Leicester.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby toocoldhere on Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:48 pm

If it's true then the players and SRU management involved should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

Yes, it's not been a good season, and there's plenty to work on but let's not delude ourselves - some of it has been due to utter pish from the players that no coach could change.

We won't get anyone better than Cockers at the moment, and doubly so if it's due to a player revolt
toocoldhere
Established pro

Postby Weegie on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:07 pm

Having now seen the tweet I know exactly to what it refers, and no, it is not good.

Sorry to be cryptic, but what I know came from a player and I was told not to repeat it, even though it looks like it is seeping out.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:25 pm

Weegie wrote:Having now seen the tweet I know exactly to what it refers, and no, it is not good.

Sorry to be cryptic, but what I know came from a player and I was told not to repeat it, even though it looks like it is seeping out.

You tease Weegie :) forums and social media were built for rumour and the leaking of stories. Did Cockers text Boris asking for tax breaks for SA front rowers?
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:27 pm

No idea about any of these rumours but genuinely sorry for RC.He was a real breath of fresh air and comes across as a great individual and likeable chap who came through rugby the hard way.Always like the way he copmes across in the media.I wonder if this had anything to do with the pretty shocking performance against Racing where we just seemed to throw in thw towel in the 2nd half.Can't blame Cockerill,surely players have to look at themselves in the mirror after a display like that.
If he does go doubt we'll get anyone remotely as high profile again.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:35 pm

Rule No.1 - Always blame the coach
Rule No.2- See above

The players are responsible for their on-field & off-field behaviour's & performance's

Case in point, Big Fraz... Not rated by RC when he took over, had a word & Fraz sorted himself out...

There are others who were given opportunities & took them.

Others chose alternative routes & grumbled to the press/podcasters etc. afterwards.
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:47 pm

Cammo Gunner wrote:Rule No.1 - Always blame the coach
Rule No.2- See above

The players are responsible for their on-field & off-field behaviour's & performance's

Case in point, Big Fraz... Not rated by RC when he took over, had a word & Fraz sorted himself out...

There are others who were given opportunities & took them.

Others chose alternative routes & grumbled to the press/podcasters etc. afterwards.

I appreciate you may have more knowledge than me on this situation but it is equally very easy to lay the blame at the players door.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:57 pm

Weegie wrote:Having now seen the tweet I know exactly to what it refers, and no, it is not good.

Anything to do with the reddit rumour (from a random) about a player getting sacked? That rumour and about who it was didn't seem to make any sense.

Not naming player in case it causes issues on the board.
BigD163
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum