Edinburgh v Ulster Nov 30 2020

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Ulster Nov 30 2020

Postby doedin on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:39 am

This was a poor performance from a team looking short of confidence. However this was always going to be a difficult season. With 23 top players either injured or away on international duty we were always going to struggle with having play 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choices in some positions. Covid19 severely curtailed our options to bring in back ups and we also lost Scott due to contract being withdrawn and our back up 10 failing to get a visa. Whilst TonySpreadbury off with the result it is what it is and Im not going to get to upset about the bigger picture. Indeed we have managed to get game time for a number of youngsters and in Blain I think we have a very promising winger, I am not sure 15 is his best position. With no money and no real income for the foreseeable future this season is very much about survival and seeing what we can do when we have the full squad available. Next season with new ground and a more sensible structure to the season should be better, I hope!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:40 am

Down to the last fit 23 or so, I wasn't expecting to win, but actually got quite excited when Farndale "scored". Marginal but correct call to disallow, but how many times would a TMO actually check that ?

What I got really annoyed about was the refusal to listen and react. Whether Evans is any good or not, whether he's right or wrong, he's the ref, and when he's constantly pinging you for early drive on the line out maul, STOP DOING IT ! Brainless. I get it's the coaches original tactic, but on field leadership to change when necessary is totally lacking.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:42 am

I’m going to be positive (well, sort of)...if it wasn’t for the atrocious refereeing then the middle third of the game would’ve been more typical of the whole than the beginning and the end.

First scrum penalty was a complete joke.

First try was a forward pass.

At the second try, how is it legal for a breakaway without the ball at the front of the maul to take out the defensive line?

Very little refereeing of the offside line when they were blatantly over it. Pinpoint refereeing when we were.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:32 am

Entirely agree! I know its "bad form" to moan about refs but he was awful and surely affected the scoreline.
The farndale "score" totally affected our confidence and we just seemed to give up-yet for 15mins in 2nd half we were totally on top.
Ok its a good Ulster team but we had a lot of experienced players out there who could have made more of an impression (Pyrgos,Bradbury,Crosbie).Some good touches from Johnstone and Cherry.Even felt Chamberlain slowly beginning to come out of his shell.And Blain very much looks like a great addition to our back three stocks-has all the physical attributes to go all the way.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:42 am

Our collapse after the disallowed try reminded me of performances in years gone by when the team was completely incapable of dealing with adversity. Very disappointing.

The lack of attacking nous is extremely concerning. Chamberlain will benefit from all of this game time but the lack of an experienced head at 10 for the periods without VDW is a big problem. I think the decision to reallocate budget originally earmarked for Matt Scott was a poor decision - he is head and shoulders above centres we have.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:02 pm

The Chiel wrote:Down to the last fit 23 or so, I wasn't expecting to win, but actually got quite excited when Farndale "scored". Marginal but correct call to disallow, but how many times would a TMO actually check that ?

What I got really annoyed about was the refusal to listen and react. Whether Evans is any good or not, whether he's right or wrong, he's the ref, and when he's constantly pinging you for early drive on the line out maul, STOP DOING IT ! Brainless. I get it's the coaches original tactic, but on field leadership to change when necessary is totally lacking.

Dan McFarland said an Ulster analyst saw the offside and told an assistant.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:16 pm

TheSmidge wrote:I’m going to be positive (well, sort of)...if it wasn’t for the atrocious refereeing then the middle third of the game would’ve been more typical of the whole than the beginning and the end.

First scrum penalty was a complete joke.

First try was a forward pass.

At the second try, how is it legal for a breakaway without the ball at the front of the maul to take out the defensive line?

Very little refereeing of the offside line when they were blatantly over it. Pinpoint refereeing when we were.

Agree entirely, wife was making the same points during the game, but we don’t seem to be able to react and alter the course of the ship when the iceberg comes out the fog, it would be nice to see a plan B occur never mind C or D.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:59 pm

A different slant on the penalty offside incident.At the time I was astonished we elected to go for goal rather than the corner given the pack seemed to be on top and it was a perfect position for Chamberlain to get near the corner (rather than a 45m goal kick).Would have still been behind if successful(17-19) rather than turn the screw when the tide seemed to have turned.
Anyone else think so at the time?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:16 pm

liveinhope wrote:A different slant on the penalty offside incident.At the time I was astonished we elected to go for goal rather than the corner given the pack seemed to be on top and it was a perfect position for Chamberlain to get near the corner (rather than a 45m goal kick).Would have still been behind if successful(17-19) rather than turn the screw when the tide seemed to have turned.
Anyone else think so at the time?

Chamberlains touch kicks are generally quite conservative so not sure we would have got that close where as his place kicking is good so I think keeping the scoreboard ticking over is the right thing to do.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:01 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Dan McFarland said an Ulster analyst saw the offside and told an assistant.

By "Ulster analyst" I assume he means Stephen Ferris, who was squealing into his microphone like a little girl . . . :eek:

Unfortunately it was of course the right call.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Sonicboom on Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:53 pm

When was the last time you saw a kick off that didn’t have several players at least as far in front of the kicker as was the case here? Also since when does the Tmo respond to queries from analysts?
Sonicboom
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:23 pm

Sonicboom wrote: Also since when does the Tmo respond to queries from analysts?

I'm taking that claim (from McFarland) as a wind up, following Ferris calling it live and quickly becoming he (Ferris) told the TMO and now its got legs its an Ulster analysis. It is something a TJ and TMO should watch for and check respectively.

FFS don't let it be a deflection from a SteveWalsh performance, the lack of maul defence and to be blunt last night playing with a 2 man pack. Take out Cherry and Davidson and it was 6 other shadows. Players missing but that was on paper a very good back row, none of whom delivered. Schoeman pointed his head at the floor 1st scrum and had the ref on his side of the scrum and on his back all night after it, refs are looking for it now.
Kind of expect with so many missing that it can get away in the last 20, but 3 conceding early tries set the scene. Lack of focus, lack of organisation. Dean was key man there, AWOL in leadership, and in attack run hard but never beat a man or make ground, but mostly run sideways and allow the defence to drift and easily defend. And he has been a 1st choice. Not good enough to be blunt

sole bright side was Blair again looking good, much better than last season and IMHO looking better as a 15 than a wing
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:41 pm

Sonicboom wrote:When was the last time you saw a kick off that didn’t have several players at least as far in front of the kicker as was the case here? Also since when does the Tmo respond to queries from analysts?

I mean it happens all the time, but if you score a try from it then they're going to check. If Farndale had got there and just made a tackle, no one would have cared.

Agree in general on pack not up to scratch (though I might have picked Miller next to Cherry), I've been disappointed with Bradbury and Crosbie the last few games to be honest. These are guys who should have Scotland ambitions, and in games where we've been up against it they haven't gone to that extra level to lift the team.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:31 pm

joe soap wrote:

I'm taking that claim (from McFarland) as a wind up, following Ferris calling it live and quickly becoming he (Ferris) told the TMO and now its got legs its an Ulster analysis. It is something a TJ and TMO should watch for and check respectively.

TJ/AR is going to struggle to get a decent view on that from where s/he should be standing :)

In front of the kicker at a penalty is definitely one for a competent referee to look for.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:20 pm

bignose wrote:
joe soap wrote:

TJ/AR is going to struggle to get a decent view on that from where s/he should be standing :)

In front of the kicker at a penalty is definitely one for a competent referee to look for.

I take the point that a TJ might struggle form under the posts :)
I'd also suggest that a ref does not have eyes in the back of his head, so he should go to the touchline to look across, don't ever see that I think; but there is no reason the TMO could not review and call it.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum