La Rochelle BT Murrayfield 12 Dec 8pm KO

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: La Rochelle BT Murrayfield 12 Dec 8pm KO

Postby Trophyhunter on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:21 pm

If Rumour true ? could be added to the speculation around Watson being for the off ? VDM can’t be blamed for wanting to make the most of his appeal . SAFAs are understandably Soldiers of Fortune and travellers . Few settle for the long term one club gig. Nel and CJ Stander being obvious exceptions . Best make the most of them whilst around . If Jaco VDW stays I would like to see him do more work on his game management and decision making . He and Pyrgos were not at their best last night. I read a lot of critical posts on centres in Forum which are fair but all too often overlook the pressure coming from 9/10 problems. Edinburgh also need to cut the forward clutter in midfield as not sure how passer can see target sometimes?

Whilst acknowledging La Rochelle’s undoubted quality and huge forward strength I though Edinburgh did ok and with a more accurate referee ( got could have sneaked the win . Watson didn’t knock in driving ruck on line in last 5 minutes and Dean illegally and cynically obstructed in trying to compete for tackle in run up to opposition’s second try. Neither went upstairs for check !
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:33 am

The Feral Goat wrote:The rugby paper claiming Duhan has signed for Worcester on £300k

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... -warriors/

Will see if it turns out to be true not sure the rugby paper is always accurate.

Is he not still under contract? I imagine he's just had a big pay raise due to becoming an international but don't think the SRU can compete with the marquee wages on offer down south.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the SRU calculus has changed now that he's qualified. Kind of makes sense for somebody else to be paying project players' wages to free up budget for bringing in additional potential players from Super Rugby or wherever.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:00 am

robdinsdale wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:The rugby paper claiming Duhan has signed for Worcester on £300k

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... -warriors/

Will see if it turns out to be true not sure the rugby paper is always accurate.

Is he not still under contract? I imagine he's just had a big pay raise due to becoming an international but don't think the SRU can compete with the marquee wages on offer down south.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the SRU calculus has changed now that he's qualified. Kind of makes sense for somebody else to be paying project players' wages to free up budget for bringing in additional potential players from Super Rugby or wherever.

Yes appears to be under contract, last signed an extension in January 2020 but with length undisclosed would be odd if that was just to May 2021.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:42 am

Trophyhunter wrote:If Jaco VDW stays I would like to see him do more work on his game management and decision making . He and Pyrgos were not at their best last night. I read a lot of critical posts on centres in Forum which are fair but all too often overlook the pressure coming from 9/10 problems. Edinburgh also need to cut the forward clutter in midfield as not sure how passer can see target sometimes?

A large part of that is game plan and coaching. At the moment neither game plan or coaching is good enough.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:53 am

BigD163 wrote:

A large part of that is game plan and coaching. At the moment neither game plan or coaching is good enough.

exactly. It doesn't take an Einstein to work that out

The players available are capable of much more. Most of them anyway. A couple are not, both Cockerill signings, both Boks.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:04 am

Comparing us to Glasgow, even though we're not playing much better, I feel like our fixes are more obvious and easier. We've got a decent age balance and a good crop of young players to turn to if we start losing our bigger players.

I just don't understand how what seems so obvious to everyone here has been ignored by the coaches and senior people at the SRU for so long? Surely something has to give if we carry on like this
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:08 pm

gowrie wrote:Comparing us to Glasgow, even though we're not playing much better, I feel like our fixes are more obvious and easier. We've got a decent age balance and a good crop of young players to turn to if we start losing our bigger players.

I just don't understand how what seems so obvious to everyone here has been ignored by the coaches and senior people at the SRU for so long? Surely something has to give if we carry on like this

Cockers needs to change how he plays. Wouldn't be gutted if he did go to Sale. Been a fantastic coach for us, I don't want him to leave. But this style of play can't continue
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:52 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
gowrie wrote:Comparing us to Glasgow, even though we're not playing much better, I feel like our fixes are more obvious and easier. We've got a decent age balance and a good crop of young players to turn to if we start losing our bigger players.

Cockers needs to change how he plays. Wouldn't be gutted if he did go to Sale. Been a fantastic coach for us, I don't want him to leave. But this style of play can't continue

He wont change, he isn't capable as seen near the end with the Tigers. In many respects it seems like he was a good guy to get in to begin a turnaround but isn't the person to see it through. The team has some of the best back 3 talent around and it is a complete failure of coaching that they are not utilised more.

If this doesn't turn around, or show signs of trying something different, then the SRU need to be brave and make the call, because it would be too easy to write this season off due to Covid and trudge along for the 21/22 season.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum