1872 part 2.1 Sat 16th 17:15

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 part 2.1 Sat 16th 17:15

Postby joe soap on Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:05 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:That's why I said they didn't trust Thompson but when it came to the crunch they did pick him. Playing Dobie a 19 year old in a close game with a 10 playing his first game with a 12 from the 7s who has barely played is stupid.

the Weegies also had Horne Snr missing, concussion. But I agree with your point about Dobie. Not just the relatively inexperienced 12, but a kid on the wing. Then they had eventually to put another debutant kid on the wing. Glasgow wanted to win that, Thomson did well enough but they kept on the experienced player who really ran the show. Price. No way was yet another kid getting on short of an injury to Price or a big lead, and the latter never looked likely. This was also why they didn't change either prop, which must be a first for years in pro rugby.

Dobie in any case isn't 20 yet and has had loads of game time - almost half as many minutes of pro rugby as Sheil, who is 24.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:27 pm

The Chiel wrote:
sammy wrote:I'm preferring Groom to Pyrgos too. Pyrgos is very much the plan A scrum half, if we what to move away from that...

Little piece in The Rugby Paper today linking Vellacott to Edinburgh next season. However it's basically because he can't currently get a sniff at Wasps.

No point in a running quick play 9 turning up at Edinburgh if Shiel can't get a game.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:28 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Sorry but Thompson isn’t playing be because Wilson or Glasgow want to develop talent more than Edinburgh, he was playing because Hastings is injured and Other Thomson was shot after being left in for weeks after his head had gone. Similarly Dobie didn’t get off the bench last night similarly to Chamberlain, either did their young prop or if he did it was last minute. Their back 3 youngsters only in as they had No one else to pick

We could do more and I do think Chamberlain and Sheile should get some more minutes, I’d argue Groom is our best 9 though and it’s Pyrgos who is offering g little . Cockers is the same as every other coach and tends to rate experience. He has developed Darcy, Taylor and Blain though so it is not all bad.

I think we were looking to go wider last night and looked a more balanced style, our execution of basic skills cost us know which is a concern.

Thomson was given 2 chances to prove he could get over the Dragons game - as a sub v Exeter and then starting v Edinburgh. Hardly left in for weeks after his head had gone.

I'm not sure Dobie's first experience of being left on the bench is quite the same as Chamberlain being an unused sub 7 times in a row.

McLean and Smith were picked with Tagive and Nairn fit and available. I would have through Bryce's contract would have been through to Round 4 of the Champions Cup matches (ie next week) so he also would still have been available for selection.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:44 pm

Stop bringing Facts into a perfectly good argument!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum