Edinburgh v Scarlets sat 27th 12 noon

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets sat 27th 12 noon

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:07 pm

Impega wrote:They didn't look for one moment like scoring in that last umpteen phases. Not one semi-decent idea amongst them, with the exception of Darcy Graham. Why not at least consider the drop goal?

So frustrating watching Scarlets mixing it up and attacking with creative intent all afternoon whereas we are utterly clueless in that regard. Turgid pish.

I know which side I’d rather watch every week.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:13 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:
Embarrassing is the right word. Devoid of on field leadership and if there is no set play for a dg then a failure of coaching.

Same coaches and mostly the same players, it isn't going to change for a while.

VdW was set up for the DG but he bottled it.

After about 45 phases of jamesmatthew. There should have been a simple set of plays off the scrum not ruck after ruck of going backwards then forwards a wee bit while the defence has 15 men in the line waiting for the dg attempt.

It was nicely set up - got a clear platform in the middle of the pitch on the 22. He bottled it.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:17 pm

Maybe a year in the diddy cup will let us get the young guys up and running.

How many minutes has Chamberlain had?

Shiel has started a couple of times but not many.

Look at the side Glasgow are sending over to Dublin tomorrow, I’ll wager this time next year the likes of Dobie will have started more games than Shiel, if he hasn’t already.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:19 pm

I wonder what goes through Nathan Chamberlain's mind every week as he sits watching the entire game from the bench despite Van Der Walt never ever setting the heather alight?

I'm prepared to agree Jaco is stymied to a point by the tactics, but ultimately he's bang average. And a quality kicker would have nailed that late penalty today.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:19 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Maybe a year in the diddy cup will let us get the young guys up and running.

Look at the side Glasgow are sending over to Dublin tomorrow, I’ll wager this time next year the likes of Dobie will have started more games than Shiel, if he hasn’t already.

Doubtful - last time we had a first 15 playing Ensei and put 70 on them in the most pointless event ever.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:20 pm

It was nicely set up - got a clear platform in the middle of the pitch on the 22. He bottled it.

Just flicked back and apologies you are right he had plenty opportunity. Quite depressing really.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:27 pm

Impega wrote:I wonder what goes through Nathan Chamberlain's mind every week as he sits watching the entire game from the bench despite Van Der Walt never ever setting the heather alight?

I'm prepared to agree Jaco is stymied to a point by the tactics, but ultimately he's bang average. And a quality kicker would have nailed that late penalty today.

Makes no difference if he's on the pitch or not. Cockers clearly doesn't trust him and wanted another 10. If and when he is on the pitch everything will go through 9 and he'll get very little opportunity to do much good or bad.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:28 pm

BigD163 wrote:

Just flicked back and apologies you are right he had plenty opportunity. Quite depressing really.

Depressing indeed. Where is the change coming from?

We need to look at Chamberlain (or Savala) at 10. Shiel always at 9. Do we have a distributor for the centres? Or get Kinghorn playing as second receiver when he's available.

The forwards ran some nice enough angles and aside from MacCallum no young guys waiting in the wings so that is what it is.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:47 pm

Has to start Chamberlain nnext week ...surely...
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:59 pm

Good in phases today but Edinburgh’s underdeveloped attack repertoire couldn’t capitalise on conditions. Missed opportunities to kick through into wide exposed channels in attack and support lines need to find space.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:01 pm

I’d missed that Matt Currie got a full 8 minutes last week.

I’d like to see more of him.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:02 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Maybe a year in the diddy cup will let us get the young guys up and running.

That's the 10th time in a row where Chamberlain has been selected on the bench but ended up as an unused sub. The only game this season where he made it off the bench was for 8 minutes against the Ospreys in the first game. He played all 80 minutes as a starter in each of the 3 games where van der Walt was unavailable during the Autumn.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:05 pm

disco wrote:

That's the 10th time in a row where Chamberlain has been selected on the bench but ended up as an unused sub. The only game this season where he made it off the bench was for 8 minutes against the Ospreys in the first game. He played all 80 minutes as a starter in each of the 3 games where van der Walt was unavailable during the Autumn.

That is a dreadful state of affairs.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:22 pm

Just watching Keenan's try for Ireland. When was the last time you saw an Edinburgh back cut an angle like that? Our attacking game plan, if there is one is like something from the 90s and is badly implemented to boot. Complete failure in vouching. Hodge has been in place for six years and there has been no real improvement in that time. How many if our young backs have really improved in that time? How many look well coached? Do we look like we gave any confidence in our attacking gameplan?

Why does Cockerill continue to tolerate his incompetence? Its starting to affect his reputation now too and if Hodge doesn't go over the summer then we know he's got a job for life at the SRU and Cockers isn't in charge of his own team. If I was him
i would walk at that point.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:33 pm

The Nudger wrote:Just watching Keenan's try for Ireland. When was the last time you saw an Edinburgh back cut an angle like that? Our attacking game plan, if there is one is like something from the 90s and is badly implemented to boot. Complete failure in vouching. Hodge has been in place for six years and there has been no real improvement in that time. How many if our young backs have really improved in that time? How many look well coached? Do we look like we gave any confidence in our attacking gameplan?

Why does Cockerill continue to tolerate his incompetence? Its starting to affect his reputation now too and if Hodge doesn't go over the summer then we know he's got a job for life at the SRU and Cockers isn't in charge of his own team. If I was him
i would walk at that point.

Hodge is neither dictating nor responsible for the attacking gameplan. The incompetence you refer to is not under his remit.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum