Dragons Sunday 28th

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Dragons Sunday 28th

Postby Trophyhunter on Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:55 pm

Game management isn’t quite Jack’s forte but Kinghorn certainly a “ threat” at 10 and defence more challenged by him. He is only 24 . Time will tell .
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:34 pm

As others have said Kinghorn should absolutely play more first receiver or even second receiver. But I don't see it he has serious lapses at 15 you need to be always switched on at 10. That's why Sexton, Biggar and Farrell are so good. .
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:16 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:As others have said Kinghorn should absolutely play more first receiver or even second receiver. But I don't see it he has serious lapses at 15 you need to be always switched on at 10. That's why Sexton, Biggar and Farrell are so good. .

Perhaps, and this is just thinking out loud, maybe he'd benefit from being in a position where he has to be switched on all the time, where he doesn't get the chance to switch off or ponder options.

He has a deceptive pace over five metres, his top end speed is obvious - Toonie said he was the quickest in the Scotland squad last year, but he can tear it up over the short course too. He stood up Nick Evans and left him looking foolish, yeah Evans was the wrong side of 30, but he was still a world class player in his time, and these guys rarely get the TonySpreadbury taken out of them like that

Sometimes you can happen on things, players develop at different rates, if it were up to me I'd like to see Blair given a chance to see if he can cut it at ten now, if not, nothing lost, he can move back to 15.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:22 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:As others have said Kinghorn should absolutely play more first receiver or even second receiver. But I don't see it he has serious lapses at 15 you need to be always switched on at 10. That's why Sexton, Biggar and Farrell are so good. .

Perhaps, and this is just thinking out loud, maybe he'd benefit from being in a position where he has to be switched on all the time, where he doesn't get the chance to switch off or ponder options.

He has a deceptive pace over five metres, his top end speed is obvious - Toonie said he was the quickest in the Scotland squad last year, but he can tear it up over the short course too. He stood up Nick Evans and left him looking foolish, yeah Evans was the wrong side of 30, but he was still a world class player in his time, and these guys rarely get the TonySpreadbury taken out of them like that

Sometimes you can happen on things, players develop at different rates, if it were up to me I'd like to see Blair given a chance to see if he can cut it at ten now, if not, nothing lost, he can move back to 15.

There have been plenty of good players who are equally adept at 10 or 15. In the Northern hemisphere we seem to see versatility as a sign of weakness sometimes.

May as well give him a run at 10, showed more attacking adventure in 40 minutes than we've seen over the rest of the season combined. Given the amount we kick off 9 what can he actually do worse?
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:48 am

Tichtheid wrote:

He has also matured and is less prone to the ultra-speculative offload that he used to do too often.

He already tends to have the responsibility of kicking from hand, such as the penalties, but I wonder if his goalkicking would be the main weakness now.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:38 am

robdinsdale wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

He has also matured and is less prone to the ultra-speculative offload that he used to do too often.

He already tends to have the responsibility of kicking from hand, such as the penalties, but I wonder if his goalkicking would be the main weakness now.

The goalkicking is probably the easiest thing of all to work on, it's just down to a good coach (Mossie probably) and putting in the hours - he's got the best part of six months to concentrate on it
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:05 pm

joe soap wrote:Tks. Wasn't convinced myself I had them in the right order!
Point remains, he wasn't moved because of Hastings, he was behind all those guys as a 10. I am certain I saw Kinghorn at 10 though. I thought starting but that could be my memory failing - I do know he was shut and was pulled back to 15.
He is lot more experienced now tbf, but I can't see him ever controlling a game from 10. And a waste of his ability to try to force that

Kinghorn definitely started at least one U20RWC game at 10. I think :D

I agree, we have 3 10s and Lang for next season. Kinghorn should be working on his game at 15 rather than worrying about 10.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:19 pm

Tichtheid wrote:The goalkicking is probably the easiest thing of all to work on, it's just down to a good coach (Mossie probably) and putting in the hours - he's got the best part of six months to concentrate on it

It's not so long ago that he was goal kicking for Scotland on the summer tour (vs Canada and USA).
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum