Rainbow Cup Games

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Rainbow Cup Games

Postby Croft_No.6 on Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:18 pm

Why with a minute to go, scores tied do you kick the ball away to the opposition. Terrible decision making by Pyrgos
Croft_No.6
International

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:22 pm

Croft_No.6 wrote:Why with a minute to go, scores tied do you kick the ball away to the opposition. Terrible decision making by Pyrgos

Surprised?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:46 pm

Wasn't that had but wasn't very good either. Muncaster impressed. Don't think Shiel or Kinghorn had very good takes - kicking wasn't great, little control and not much structure. But unstructured rugby both are good.

Harry Patterson had a bit about him. Schoeman was great coming off the bench. So was Willemse but Harrison for just out of school really is good. His sprint back double tackle was awesome.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:14 pm

Hardly surprising the kicking's been SteveWalsh. Our 'attack coach' is also hhe kicking coach!
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:19 am

Croft_No.6 wrote:Why with a minute to go, scores tied do you kick the ball away to the opposition. Terrible decision making by Pyrgos

It's baffling. I don't think Ulster could have hoped for for a better gift. I wish they'd have returned the favour. I don't understand why we let Jamie Dobie go to Glasgow. He's 3rd choice over there but would be our best 9 by some distance.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:45 am

When was Jamie Dobie an Edinburgh player?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:27 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Wasn't that had but wasn't very good either. Muncaster impressed. Don't think Shiel or Kinghorn had very good takes - kicking wasn't great, little control and not much structure. But unstructured rugby both are good.

Harry Patterson had a bit about him. Schoeman was great coming off the bench. So was Willemse but Harrison for just out of school really is good. His sprint back double tackle was awesome.

I think we saw the good and the bad of Kinghorn at 10. He was key to our first two tries but there was a period in the middle of the game when he should have been playing for territory.

Harrison looks really promising. His throwing isn't quite there yet, which is to be expected really, but he looked good around the park.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:06 am

Yes thought all the youngsters did well.Harrison was outstanding.Muncaster fits in well.Paterson looked quite assured-never really tested under pressure but some good liitle touches.On another day Kinghorn might have passed to him to make sure of the 2nd try as he was screaming on the outside unmarked.Hopefully he'll get another chance next week at Scarlets?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:27 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Well done Ben Whitehouse.

Agreed with everything he said up to a point, but that point is he just can't completely ignore the direct hit to the head. Puts him totally out of kilter with the way every other ref is being told to penalise this. Even the TMO tried to point that out. Not sure if it would have been a penalty to Ulster - they'd then have looked at the tackle in the air, which I guess is the first piece of foul play - although tbf I didn't see it shown again.

Whitehouse's inconsistency is legend, but when you get Stephen Ferris saying he should have yellow carded an Ulster player for the deliberate knock down you know he's dropped a clanger. The card he showed straight after seemed pretty iffy to me.

But it was good, bad and indifferent from Edinburgh throughout. Sau is in great form. Not a great kicking night from Kinghorn. Ferris was also correct to point out that the support at rucks is very patchy. I suspect Charlie Shiel hit more rucks than most forwards simply because he was the only one there.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:45 am

I didn’t get to see the game last night but I’m at 36 minutes now. So far WP Nel has been binned for collapsing a maul when the Ulster player clearly hit the deck of his own accord, he’s been penalised at two scrums where his opponent has crumpled like a cheap accordion and the Embra pack has been free kicked for early engagement.

I’m trying not to be one-eyed about it, I’ve rewound each incident two or three times, every one of those decisions has been wrong and they have had material impact on the match.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:47 am

The Chiel wrote:

Agreed with everything he said up to a point, but that point is he just can't completely ignore the direct hit to the head. Puts him totally out of kilter with the way every other ref is being told to penalise this. Even the TMO tried to point that out. Not sure if it would have been a penalty to Ulster - they'd then have looked at the tackle in the air, which I guess is the first piece of foul play - although tbf I didn't see it shown again.

Whitehouse's inconsistency is legend, but when you get Stephen Ferris saying he should have yellow carded an Ulster player for the deliberate knock down you know he's dropped a clanger. The card he showed straight after seemed pretty iffy to me.

But it was good, bad and indifferent from Edinburgh throughout. Sau is in great form. Not a great kicking night from Kinghorn. Ferris was also correct to point out that the support at rucks is very patchy. I suspect Charlie Shiel hit more rucks than most forwards simply because he was the only one there.

I think it's actually reffed the way Whitehouse refereed it:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... ZaxfMOQ2bM

There was genuinely no foul play from Morris. He was at textbook tackle position and height. He wrapped both arms and absolutely no chicken wing or swinging arm. It was picture perfect. You can't referee bad luck of a player being tackled into you and there's absolutely nothing to coach there.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:58 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
The Chiel wrote:

I think it's actually reffed the way Whitehouse refereed it:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... ZaxfMOQ2bM

There was genuinely no foul play from Morris. He was at textbook tackle position and height. He wrapped both arms and absolutely no chicken wing or swinging arm. It was picture perfect. You can't referee bad luck of a player being tackled into you and there's absolutely nothing to coach there.

Agreed, you can't say it was reckless when he was in a perfect low tackle position. One of the replays Whitehouse was looking at showed how low he was, knees bent and horizontal at the hips.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:10 pm

Good bits - the young lads all showed up well, Paterson and Harrison have got serious pace, Sykes is a beast.
Jamie Ritchie was tipped as a future Scotland captain when he signed from school, he has never wavered from that trajectory and he is the first name on my international team sheet, I really think he is Scotland’s best player right now.
Sau is in fine form

Bad bits - same old same old, we seem lost when faced with a simple blitz defence
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:38 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Good bits - the young lads all showed up well, Paterson and Harrison have got serious pace, Sykes is a beast.
Jamie Ritchie was tipped as a future Scotland captain when he signed from school, he has never wavered from that trajectory and he is the first name on my international team sheet, I really think he is Scotland’s best player right now.
Sau is in fine form

Bad bits - same old same old, we seem lost when faced with a simple blitz defence

The blitz defence is hopefully where Lang helps as a second decision maker and ball player. None of our centres are that so hopefully we can get the ball out more quickly and more accurately.

Yesterday when we were a cm away from their line and went to the backs Kinghorn's pass was atrocious.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:31 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:When was Jamie Dobie an Edinburgh player?

He never was. Glasgow were prepared to offer him a full time contract straight out of school, Edinburgh were only prepared to offer an academy contract.
Weegie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum